FOOL'S TRIP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray D

Originally, I dismissed the idea, out of hand, as too dangerous for us to attempt. Decided I needed to reconsider as there are no really good alternatives.

From: Boise Idaho to Oklahoma City and return. Four or five days in O.K. City.

Purpose: Dani's mother, has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. She hasn't seen her in close to ten years. Time is short. Dani is going, come whatever, one way or another. "No" is not an option.

The RV is a Damon Challenger, 2005, all services done since new and no known problems. Recently winterized. Toad, if we take it, is a 2003, Suzuki XL-7, all services done and no known problems.

Dani is severely disabled and while she can get around, she needs assistance, including a wheelchair. (She is processing and waiting for more back surgery, at the VA Hospital system. Takes a while!) Jasper is her service animal, and he has to make the trip, if she does. So, which ever method of travel, there is a dog, Dani, meds and assistance stuff. Quite a load for public transportation. That's about as simple as I can put it, and leaving a lot out of the info  in favor of brevity. I am also disabled, not a severely as she is.

Air: She can fly. Turbulance is quite painful, for her. Jasper needs to do the ordinary Dog stuff, at least every 4 to 6 hours. Not sure those needs can be met. She prefers to not do it, that way.

Amtrack: She's done that, but, again, there are the dog needs. Previous trips had glitches that were pretty difficult for her. They run late - sit long hours, broken down or waiting for tracks to clear - forget she is there and are difficult to find for assistance - etc. (Stranded her, forgotten, in Chicago, two years ago, on the way to St Louis. Don't ask how one gets stranded in Chicago riding between Boise and Missouri. They did it!) She prefers that to air travel. Actually, she gets a room, when on Amtrack, and greatly enjoys most of the trip.

Car: Can do, but presents volume problems for necessary equipment, meds, supplies, for a longer length of time. Also, some of the same weather issues as the MH.

Don't want her, nor for that matter me, driving in winter weather, and particularly in snow. Won't drive in snow, although she would. She fears nothing!

I see the shortest, fastest rout as over the Continental Divide through Wyoming. Been there, done that, in a car, in winter weather. It can be done. That was a younger man with no brains, but in good physical condition, last time long ago. About 1,500 miles each way. Last did it in May, 2003, in  MH. Nice trip, then. Very nice weather, in May. Last Fall trip was in early December 91, a nightmare in a nearly new 4 WD Subaru. Survived the wind and snow, OK. I was a 56 year old kid, with no brains!  ::)

If the MH goes, I go, also. Do I take the toad, or rent a car when we get there. Seems it would be better not to have the toad back there, anticiipating possible bad weather. I can afford to rent the car. Won't be doing side trips. Not sure the toad is a safety advantage. If I slide off, I take the toad with me. It wouldn't likely get us out of trouble, in that circumstance.

Is there a sane way to do this trip? Air? Train? Car? Motorhome? If on wheels, what rout?

Under these circumstances, what would you do?

Ray D  :-\

Start a weather watch, get yourselves ready, and leave when you get a decent 4 day forecast.  I'd take the toad.  Make sure your cell phone is well charged, and that you have plenty of food, water, fuel and LP.  If you do get snowed in, you might get cold, but the furnace will make it bearable.  Don't take chances on the road, and slow down if it gets slippery.  We travel from NS to Florida spring and winter, and we have about 1000 miles before we're out of risk of heavy snow. 

I agree with you that the toad will not count for much on this sort of trip and is just another damn thing to go wrong.  The world is full of Hertzes and Enterprise Rent- a-Cars. 

I would stick to interstates as much as possible, they are usually to better standards, and are the roads most likely to be plowed and patrolled.  Do look for a break in those Pacific Storms blowing in over the NW.  Wait for a break in those and then move fast.  Good luck.

Hi Ray,

Sure sorry to hear about Dani's mom.  I've made "that trip" myself and, you're right, she will go one way or another!  I would hope you can go with her regardless of the transportation mode.  It will be a lot easier on Dani if you're there with her because she might not get so upset if things don't go as planned.

Obviously air is the shortest trip in terms of time but these days it can be a real hassle even for the most able-bodied, much less for someone in a wheelchair.  And then there's the additional cost for extra luggage and taking the dog.  A seat at the front of the cabin might have more room for the furry one but getting him outside could be a major problem for her.

The train might be reasonable distance- and time-wise, but I can see the hassles of that too.  Poor furry friends definitely need time outs too!  At least with it you wouldn't have to worry about weather and doing all the driving.

Comfort-wise the RV is the best way to go.  The furry guy can be accomodated, Dani would be more comfortable, and you can carry all her necessities.  I'd be inclined to take the toad primarily to have in case of an emergency enroute and once you're in OKC you'll need to get around.  You always hope you won't need it, but Murphy's Law being what it is, if you don't have it you'll surely need it!  Also you could put the wheelchair in the toad so it would be out of the way.

As to taking only the car, one winter we drove our Tracker from San Francisco to Indiana at the end of January.  Taking I-80 all the way worked well (better than I-10 where there were blizzards in Texas), but we had one looong driving day of 800 miles because we were trying to stay ahead of a storm.  We took turns driving every hour to prevent either one of us from getting too tired. Don't think either one of you would be up to a driving day like that so weather is a major consideration if driving the car.  Have to admit that the Tracker was small, but it might not have been possible with a dog too.  That one day we felt pretty cramped.  By the way, the Tracker had a CB with the weather channels so we could keep track of how fast the storm was moving toward us.

Ed's probably right about taking the RV.  Keep an eye on the weather and make a run for it when you have a good window.  The nice thing about the RV is that if you do get into bad weather you can always pull off and hunker down because you'll have all your essentials.  I should think the return trip might be the more dicey part just because it will be later in the year.  The nice thing about the interstates is that they do tend to keep them pretty clear unless there's a real blizzard in which case you should be hunkered down anyway.  I guess the biggest issue might be finding campgrounds open when you're farther north.  Driving either the RV or the car will take a lot longer than either an airplane or train.  The car will involve going in and out of motels, as well as taking the service dog in and out of both motels and restaurants.  I know service dogs are allowed, but it's still a hassle.

By the way, I just thought of something.  Knowing the background of her problems in OKC, is she likely to have increased issues going there?  I'm thinking it might be really important for you to be with her for moral support and I don't just mean with her mother.

I wish you well.  It's a tough trip to make regardless of the time of year and all the other issues.  Tell Dani we send hugs.

ArdraF

Tell Dani we send hugs.

I'll tell her. She will appreciate it.

Having her return to OK City is a major concern. But, that's where the action is.

No major secret - for those who don't know. Dani was an EMT, just two blocks from the Murrah Bldg, when it was blown up. She was one of the first ten on the scene. She was severely injured in the rescue operation, physically and emotionally. Not somewhere I want her going. Like I said, earlier, I do not get to vote.

Prior, she was injured under hostile conditions on the DMZ, in Korea. She was discharged and retrained as a Paramedic. Two very short careers, and retired at a very young age. What a deal!

I have thought of going, regardless of the method of travel, but that presents other major issues, not easy to solve. MH trip does not solve those issues. Money will. I am not a lot of help due to my own health issues. I can drive.

Have also been planning a MH trip someday, to take her to Seattle, Portland or Palo Alto for major back surgery. That will be costly, also. We really can't complain. We have a good income - all Veteran's Compensation  and SSD, but there is a limit. Her back surgery is much more important to me, if the VA ever makes up its mind.  (Hospitalization and medical treatment is at no charge, to either of us. We get 25 cents a mile, for travel. We must provide our own living accomodations - hence, the motorhome. It goes, on that trip, one way or another.)

I really appreciate the responses, so far. Hoping for more advice. Anyone favor Amtrack?

Ray D  :-\

The weather right now in the Rockies is fair and balmy. I say take the motorhome and go for it - easier on Dani and no worries about the dog. Leave the toad if you don't absolutely need it, you can rent something for a day at a time if needed.

Hope she gets the VA to schedule the back surgery soon.....I know what it's like trying to get them to schedule things.

Take care
Wendy

Ray,

I don't know that I'd FAVOR Amtrak, but it might work well if you can go too.  First, I think it would be the pits to get stuck without help in someplace like the Chicago train station while being in a wheelchair.  I'm sure they must have people who help with wheelchairs just like in airports, but something sure went wrong that time.  I'll bet she freaked out!  At least if you were there you could try to get help for Dani if something similar happened.  Haven't seen you for a while so don't know what your limitations might be, but at a train station could you take the furry one outside to do its thing?  If so, that would be a huge help.  I know Dani depends on her service dog, so leaving him home is out of the question.  Also, just being with her for moral support would be a huge thing.

Don't know what I'd do in your shoes....

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Wendy - That's because you and Mike left!  :D

ArdraF

Hey, last year they had the coldest, snowiest winter in 10 years and we were gone !!!! We're doing our best to help the draught by leaving the state.  :D

Wendy
Zion NP

No offense to the military ladies, here, but she's a pretty headstrong, FEMALE CAN-DO Vet. SHE is doing the planning and she's all over the map with it, so far. Tonight she was into taking the Suzuki. It's a top-heavy SUV, and it will roll, easily. Got a warning on each visor about that. Makes me nervous.

She is also favoring the airlines, some of the time, today. I'm allowed to suggest, now and then.

She is pretty level headed when the chips are down. I just have to hope for the best, whatever she decides. I'm a wimp!  ::)

I know what it's like trying to get them to schedule things.
Wendy, if they don't get to it, by spring, we'll do it here through medicare. Been saving up for that. Won't have enough by then, but will go the balance on credit. Whoopee.

Last time, the local Medicare surgeon went soft on us. Took a liking to her. Red carpet civilian treatment for no charge. Total cost to us was less than a thousand dollars. Well, unless you consider the bed time and lounging wardrobe she needed. That moved the price up a bit.

Part of the good side is that the VA is awfully good at some things. Her injuries fall well within their best expertise. Their primary failing is dealing with women. Each doctor has to be taught that, yes, there are women with serious combat injuries. It's almost funny, now and then. Wendy, you must have run into that, once or twice.  :D OK, not so funny!

And, she can get riled a bit. I'm sure everyone has met an edgy Vet. I'm the mellow type, myself!  ::) ::) :D

The new crop from Iraq is teaching about female vets. A lot of them are women. A bit startling to me, first time I saw a straight, young, tall Marine stride in, on her C-leg. Not so surprising, anymore.

Anyway, the advice I'm getting is very valuable. I'm hoping for more.

Ray D  ;D

Ray,

One option no one has mentioned is the route.

Looking at a map and doing ballpark figures....it's about 400 miles farther to go straight south on US95 to Las Vegas then US93 on down to I-40 then east. We're having a very mild fall. I'm at Camp Verde AZ about 50 miles south of Flagstaff and it was 84 here today. Flagstaff is predicted to be in the very high 50s to low 60s through next Friday. Albuquerque is forecast to be in the mid 60s all week. That's as far out as the predictions I'm looking at goes.

I know it's farther but it may be better than fighting the snow in the Rockies. I would think it may be easier to find a campground that's still open along I40.

Peg's and my best to Dani.

PS. One of our granddaughters lives in Nampa.

Don, thanks. Route info is super helpful. I'd do just about anything to avoid snow and ice.

This is going slowly, here. It's mind warping, for me. However, I'd rather she do it slow and sure.

Ray D

Ray & Dana, If I were in Boise I would take 84 to 15, So. on 15 to Vegas SE on 93 to Kingman to 40 &  pedal to the metal to OC! As stated on earlier blogs,98o/o Interstate. P.S.  This is not  a fool's trip but one of LOVE! Now I don't know about your first route,but this one has every thing you need from safety to shelter if needed plus close medical facilities if necessary. I just returned from Taos & would help you if still there for sure!! God Speed!

I too have a lady with a back injury. Life can be difficult. I know that only to well. Hey, we love them, right. Mine is allowed to get crabby now and again. On the up side, get some sun on her back, she is that sweet girl I met 35 years ago.
I feel for you both,
Derek

Thanks, Harley. I don't know how this is going to work out. She feels she has days to get the plan made. She's taking everything, including the comfort of her dog into consideration. Getting a little frustrated with some, due to ignorance about service animals. Those folks get an education! I step in when I am invited, and that happens, now and then. Amazing to watch.

She helped care for Aunt Ruthie, here, and then helped bury her North of Phoenix, just two weeks ago. My generation is dieing off fast!  The burial detail flew Southwest, that time.

I really don't know how this is going to work out. I just need to be ready, when the time comes. The motorhome is ready. Winterized, gas and propane are full. Batteries in good condition. Don't know if it makes the trip, or not.

Ray D

Certainly it's up to Dani (with a little advice from you :) ) but I would think that traveling in the motorhome would be more comfortable and easier for all of you, including Jasper, than trying to get on and off an airplane and change flights or get on a train (also possibility of train changes) or travel in the car. And I suspect that she'd be more comfortable with you along. And I'm sure you'd feel better going with her rather than sitting at home worrying about her.

If you drive, I'd use Harley's suggestion as far as Salt Lake City. Then, when you get there, check the weather and if it's good and the forecast is good (which it is right now), head down Hwy 6 to I-70. From there, you can stay on I-70 or cut down thru Moab, Cortez Colorado, Farmington NM, and into Albuquerque and I-40. Saves you a lot of miles IF the weather is good.

Whatever you guys decide, I wish you a safe journey. And just remember us military gals are tough, bossy, opinionated and loveable.

Wendy

And just remember us military gals are tough, bossy, opinionated and loveable.
What would make you say that?  :D :D

I know quite a few military gals. They're all special!

Dani is not at  all convinced that I would be an asset. I'm helping, where I can, but she's pretty independent. She vacillates on whether to go, at all. You see, not likely mom will recognize her and in that sense, she's already visited her, several times. (Mistaking others as her.) She had a son, died several years ago, but he has visited, also.

I'm here, for whatever I can do.

I appreciate your rout suggestion, and it is close to my first idea. I thought the weather might be too severe or at least worse than I-70. Will decide rout at the last minute. Thanks, again.

Ray D

Ray,

As long as the weather holds you're good to go on any of these routes.  It's amazing how warm it is down here in the southwest!  Shirtsleeves today, barely wore the jacket I wore shopping before leaving it in the car.  It's already started snowing in the midwest so would avoid that area.

Tell that military gal of yours that I'd definitely want Jerry to go with me.  There's nothing like moral support from someone who really loves you and cares about you!  I've had a few setbacks and Jerry is my rock!

ArdraF

Sometimes, it's not that us tough gals need you guys along. Sometimes, it's that you guys need to be along. And we need to recognize that.

Wendy
Zion NP

Back
Top Bottom