Jayco manufacturer's recall on converters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MLCBFarrell

If you have a Jayco and have received a recall, please pay attention to it!

We own a 2008 Jayco Jayflight G2 32 BHDS and received a recall notice about the converter. It said that converter load center wires could become loose and result in fire, injury or death. We pretty well lived in this trailer all summer long, since we had a site for the entire summer. We never had a problem with the converter, although other problems were showing up (since it is a brand new trailer). One of the problems was with a faulty propane sensor, which never acted up until the very end of the summer. It was replaced and the other items were repaired the latter part of September. Within only 2 days of bringing the trailer home from these repairs, we received the recall notice in the mail. We figured, ok, we'll take the TT back to the dealer ASAP but had plans to use it in PA over Halloween weekend with no worries since we'd used it so extensively all summer long.

Well, we got up Sunday morning and proceeded to get ready to go see our daughter's marching band competition in Hershey Stadium. As we were getting ready, I started smelling something. After about 15 minutes of still smelling whatever it was (and realizing no one else noticed it), I mentioned that I could smell something burning. My husband, being busy with getting the trailer readied to go, didn't pay much mind. I continued to smell something strange. I wondered if it was the smell of the furnace running, since it was only the second time it had been used. But the smell didn't seem to be coming from the heat vents. Again, I said "I smell something burning, either plastic or metal, I can't really tell which." Luckily, we had a girlfriend of mine and her son along with us, and she finally smelled it too. I told my husband that the smell was stronger near the kitchen sink area. He began looking, thinking that there was another problem with the propane sensor (loose wire, etc. from the repair of it). He couldn't find anything wrong when he decided to run his hand over the plastic cover on the converter. It was HOT!!!  :eek:  So was the wood between it and the bottom of my oven!!  :eek:  In fact, the entire area was so hot that we got the fire extinguisher out and at the ready. My husband began trying to get the converter out of the panel, with no success. He ran outside and unplugged us from the power pole and disconnected the battery. He still was unable to remove the converter, but the smell started going away so we knew that unhooking power was the right thing to do. We replaced the fuses that allowed us to bring the 2 slide-outs in, then removed them as well. We brought the TT back to VA and took it to the dealer. They found that there was a metal clip type thing on the back of the converter box that was burning, along with the connectors to the wires. There was also a quarter sized burn mark on the wood next to this area and the converter box was slightly warped. They are supposed to look for more burned areas, as the sooty smell often triggers my asthma. They are waiting for replacement parts now.

If you have received this recall (NHTSA Recall Campaign # 08V-549) or have a 2008 Jayco Jayflight G2 32 BHDS, please check it out. We were very close to having a fire and we're just lucky that this happened while we were awake.
Take care, LuAnn

LuAnn,

Thanks for posting that. Glad you traced the smell before anything more serious happened.

Hope you don't mind, but I moved your message here under recalls.

Thanks for moving it, Tom! I started to post it here, but then thought maybe I shouldn't. I just hope to get the word out so that someone else can avoid a bad situation!
Thanks again, LuAnn

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom