A coveted QSL card

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

I had the pleasure of contacting a ham station on Nov, 22 2005.

I contacted him via PSK31 on 20 meters via my 20 meter loaded whip sitting on the ground. Power out to antenna about 10 watts.

The contact surprised me; I was simply calling CQ and received a reply from David Fountain, KE5AAO, who was at the time a captain on a large tugboat off the coast of Angola, W Africa, at sea. The QSO lasted about 20 minutes.

His QSL card showed up last week, much to my surprise.

carson FL

Attachments

• KE5AAO QSL 112205.jpg
    KE5AAO QSL 112205.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 156
Looks like an E-Qsl.. I use them as well (mine like his is a photo of my Vehicle.. The Damon Intruder)

I usually photo-print E-qsl's. very nice... But I'm kind of backlogged (Ran out of some inks)

Fine Business on the QSO.... I truly like PSK31 cause even with the fairly modest antennas I have on the coach I can make some fairly impressive contacts... None quite as good as yours however :)

When I was in the Navy I used to volunteer in the MARS shack when we were out at sea. I worked K7UGA for about 3 hours one night doing phone patches. I didn't know who I was working with until about two weeks later when I got a QSL card. Was I ever surprised when I saw it was from Senator Barry Goldwater.

PSK31 is prety cool.  Back in RI I was set up for it, made contact in Italy with about 5 watts.  Funniest art for me was watching the typos disappear with a backspace, then retyped.

Bill:

What are you using to generate your psk31?

Last year we purchased a rigblaster and use various software.  When I came back to Arizona I boxed away the Rigblaster because too many wires.  But plan to take it with me to Colorado and rewire it to the 857D.

These new (relatively speaking) modes are works of magic to me.  I was gone from ham radio for about 20 years (except for uhf) and when I returned to hf it was like entering a new world.  These new modes are truly magic.  All you hear sometimes is the noise level.  All you see is a vague waterfall signal on your pc.  then the software snaps into place, brings up the faintest possible signal, and voila!  You are communicating halfway across the world on just a whiff of a signal.

Smoky
I used RigBlaster.  GReat little system.  They are based in CT and I had them do a presentation to my old club.  I have had or have, much of their stuff.  The power box I had in my shack, great item.  Don't need it now, sold it on eBay.  I think I still have my Rig Blaster in FL.  Will find out next week.

Smoky said:
Bill:

What are you using to generate your psk31?

I was using a IBM Thinkpad R-31 to a home made interface but the video/audio section crashed on the computer, so I switched to the R-52

It's now in the shop so I have switched to withdrawal symptoms

The interface in both cases is home brew full isloation, no DC connection from rig to computer, audio is transformer coupled and PTT is light coupled (Opto isolator)

Congrats. PSK is a wonderful mode, fun, easy to set up/use and not intimidating.

I recently had the pleasure of working my last country.  That is, I have finally, after 53 years as a ham, worked every country on the ARRL list.  Waiting for the QSL so I can get the coveted "Top of the Honor Roll" award. 

Man, great business! 

You guys give me the itch to get back into it.  Since I am full timing, my old Kenwood 180 and KT34-XA up fifty feet are not feasable (all sold anyway).  I did  a little computer operated work at one time, but got busy and out of it. 

Nothing but time now - Maybe I can show up at the Quartzite HamCom and get involved again.

Cool!

Back
Top Bottom