restricted roads????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luv2trav

Here in the NY area, we have many parkways that RV's are not allowed to go on.  Does anyone know where I could get a list of roads to avoid while driving a RV?
Thanks
Leslie
07 Monaco Cayman

luv2trav said:
Here in the NY area, we have many parkways that RV's are not allowed to go on.  Does anyone know where I could get a list of roads to avoid while driving a RV?

Hi Leslie,

In nearly 18 years of RVing I've never seen a consolidated list of roads to avoid.  Trying to maintain such an exhaustive list would be a monumental endeavor.

For what it's worth, my 2008 Trailer Life Directory Campground Navigator software has a page discussing some restrictions.  For New York it states (quote) NEW YORK: Trailers and motorhomes not permitted on Taconic State Parkway; trailers not permitted on most parkways. (unquote)  It's what I would call 'glittering generalities.' 

My best suggestion would be to visit the web sites of the departments of transportation in states you plan to visit and search for any highway restrictions.  Here's a federal web site which lists URLs for the various state DOTs: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/webstate.htm  As an alternative you could call those DOTs or state police and ask about motorhome restrictions on their respective highways.

In California, for example, there are over 200 miles of state and federal highways on which commercial/private buses and motorhomes longer than 40 feet are prohibited from using.  In the middle of one of those restricted routes is a luxury Outdoor Resorts RV park which caters to big rig coaches.  I have no idea about the degree to which that restriction is enforced by the CHP or county sheriff.

luv2trav said:
Thanks
Leslie
07 Monaco Cayman

In my six years of full timing all over the US, the only permanently restricted road I have seen is the Taconic Parkway in NY state.
There is also a bridge near NY city and a tunnel in Baltimore that restrict RVs because on on-board propane tanks.

I have the Truckers Atlas that lists low overpasses and there are some of those scattered around.
You can see a list by state HERE

Based on my experience I don't think restricted roads are much of a problem.

Its been over 10 (nice, warm) years since we left NY but IIRC all of the NYS Parkways have restrictions against RVs and trucks. If for no other reason, many of the overpasses are 10' high or less.

Our experience was the same as Bernie's re NY parkways.  There's a bridge in Clarion PA where we had to back up with our smaller RV because of a short overhead.  There's also a railroad overcrossing bridge that blocks a road in Needles CA (J Street?).

ArdraF

The question is, what constitutes a "parkway" in NY state?  The Taconic certainly is a parkway and restricted to passenger cars only, but the NY Thruway, for example, is not.  But what about the Henry Hudson Parkway, the Saw Mill River Parkway and the Sprainbrook Parkway, to name just a few? To the best of my knowledge, no commercial vehicles are allowed on any of them, but not sure about trailers or motorhomes. I can't find any official or quasi-official source that says anything about Rvs on NY "parkways".  Many of them, however, were built in the 1930-1940 timeframe and have very low underpasses.

Here is one official source with commercial vehicle restrictions in the NYC area:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/commvehicle.shtml

RV Roamer said:
The question is, what constitutes a "parkway" in NY state? 

Hi Gary,

Here's New York's answer to your question:
Parkway- A road corridor with regionally outstanding scenic, natural, recreational,
cultural, historic or archeological significance. Unlike Arterial Roads and Interstate
Highways which emphasize direct, efficient travel routes, Parkways are typically
controlled access highways roads which contain additional resources, features and
facilities which heighten the travel experience. NY State Parkways are designed
specifically for passenger vehicles use. Some parkways, particularly in the Long
Island Region, are constructed with low arch bridges to physically prevent truck
access.
Unquote
Source: https://www.nysdot.gov/transportation-partners/nys-transportation-federation/permits/ny-permits/repository/SHN06-03.pdf

This is also relevant:
Quote:
Governor Waives Restrictions on Large Recreation Vehicles
Governor George E. Pataki today announced that New York State Department of Transportation (DOT) Commissioner Joseph H. Boardman and Thruway Authority Executive Director Michael R. Fleischer have signed blanket waivers authorizing recreational vehicles (RV's) up to 45 feet in length to travel on highways operated by New York State with the exception of state parkways.
Unquote
Source: https://www.nysdot.gov/news/press-releases/2003/2003138

I've not been successful at finding a definitive listing of parkways in New York state.  A brochure at https://www.nysdot.gov/divisions/operating/osss/repository/parkway%20truck%20brochure.pdf lists on page 2 the "downstate parkways."  Interestingly, all of them, except two, have the word 'parkway' in the roadway name.  The two exceptions are the Franklin D. Roosevelt Drive in Manhattan and the Robert Moses Causeway in Suffolk County.

From the above one can pretty safely assume that if traveling in an RV in New York one should avoid any roadway with the word 'parkway' in its name.

George

We sure have missed you these last couple of years. Could always rely on you for the most definitive answer ;D :D ;D

From the above one can pretty safely assume that if traveling in an RV in New York one should avoid any roadway with the word 'parkway' in its name.

That's always been my mode of operation when in an RV in NY (and also in New Jersey & Connecticut, unless I knew specifically that private RVs were allowed (e.g. the Garden State Parkway in NJ).

Staying off the old Parkways is a good idea for large Class A or fifth wheel anyway, due to the old, low arched underpasses.  Folks with smaller rigs, especially Class Bs, could easily be tempted, though. And if you need to get out to Long Island or into Westchester County, there are not always many alternatives.  Further, some of the parkways are designated US highways. The Henry Hudson, for example, is US 9A and you cold easily get routed to it if following a map or GPS Nav system.

I'll never forget pulling off the interstate onto the Wilbert Cross Parkway many year's ago, pulling our old pop-up.  No height concerns, and I certainly kept up with the traffic.  We missed the sign saying no trailers until we were well into the exit, so no way to change course!  In any event, we were beeped at, yelled at, obscene hand jestered at, all the way until we could exit onto the Interstate 95 almost to NY.  So, maybe Class B's would be ok, but I'd suggest all others find alternate routes.

BernieD said:
George

We sure have missed you these last couple of years. Could always rely on you for the most definitive answer ;D :D ;D

Hi Folks,

Thanks, my friends.  Nice to hear from you again.

I wish my reply could have been more definitive but I just couldn't come up with a single listing of all parkways in New York.  The rest was easy.  The link I provided near the top of this thread is an excellent one to use when needing info about transportation laws and info in the various states.  After that is was a simple matter to use the search function within the NY DOT web site.  It wasn't 'rocket science.'

As a retired NYS Trooper who spent his last 5 yrs. working on Long Island (several Parkways) I can shed some light on this.  If it says Parkway you cannot travel them with a trailer, commercially registered vehicle (including pickup trucks with commercial plates) or any RV. These include;
Northern State Parkway
Southern State    "
Wantagh State  "
Sagtikos State "
Meadowbrook State "
Sprain Brook Parkway which turns into the Taconic State Parkway
Cross Island Parkway

There are a couple of exceptions to allow boat trailers onto the barrier islands to access the marinas only on Long Island.

With luck, if you stray onto these roads, you will get stopped before you tear the top off your RV, I can't count how many commercial truck accidents I investigated on these roads when they didn't clear the overpass. Unfortunately for many of these drivers this was the way thier company routed them.
Mark (now happily living back in the Adirondacks).

I think you can add the Palisades parkway to that list also. I know trucks are not allowed on it at all, and from Fort Lee to Nyack (exit '8') there are no bridges, but I think the arched bridges start soon after that and are very very low. So even if RV's were allowed, you could only go up it part way. Luckily 9W runs parrallel and isn't a bad alternative.

A good rule of thumb is to follow whatever rules the truckers have to obey.  If they can fit, so can we!  I even emulate the truckers when drivng on freeways.  If I see them all moving over a lane there's usually a good reason for doing so and I follow suit.

ArdraF

I agree, follow the truckers to some extent, although in my earlier post you will see that some truckers follow the route that the dispatcher gives them leading them down the wrong "path". An aside to this, I know some people don't think that a CB radio is important these days but in my short experience and my humble opinion, I have found that realizing that the trucks as well as our rigs may have large variations in speed on the uphiils and downhills, I have found that when in areas with major truck traffic it is VERY advantageous to communicate with the truck drivers on the CB as well as anticipate their issues as well as mine, (flash lights when they are safely past you or talk on the CB with them) I think that you then get their respect insead of their disdain.  P.S. I spent my last 5 years as a NYS Police sergeant as the supervisor of the commercial vehicle enforcement unit (commonly referred to by truck drivers as DOT) and had the opportunity to converse with many truck drivers, some, not too bright but most were smarter and wiser than you would ever guess.  Mark

Thanks everyone-I am pretty comfortable with what roads to avoid in NY.  In going to VA, I discovered that you must turn off your propane to go in the tunnels. (at least we were allowed to go through)
I also installed a CB in the coach so I can ask the "professionals" if I need to.

Back
Top Bottom