rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Need Advice on Fraudulent Occupancy Claim  (Read 66 times)

GlobalGirl

Need Advice on Fraudulent Occupancy Claim
« on: December 10, 2018, 09:31:03 PM »
Hello! I am new to this forum and hope to get some knowledgeable advice.

I have an RV on a piece of property we own in Pennsylvania that I use as an art/music studio throughout the year, but only actually camp in an average of 4-8 nights a month during warmer weather. I exercise my pets there frequently and store items there year-round.

It has self-contained septic and an electrical hookup. A disgruntled neighbor recently filed a claim with the township that I was residing there full-time, but I can prove with my drivers license, bank statements, voting registration, and with my employers that I live elsewhere.

I just received a certified letter stating it would cost $600 to simply file an appeal against this fraudulent claim! When we called the law firm that sent the letter, we were told ANY use constitutes occupancy, which makes no sense because what is the point of an RV if you can't use it? Surely 4-8 nights a month during camping season does not constitute residency?

Has anyone had similar issues and what should I do next?

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
Re: Need Advice on Fraudulent Occupancy Claim
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 10:20:55 PM »
Yikes!

http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a 1992 Holiday Rambler Imperial 36' 5th Estate, formerly 8 years 24/7 in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

Gizmo100

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:32:51 PM »
Any statement from the law firm that sent the letter DOES NOT mean it correct. They represent either your "neighbor" or the township. They are only going to make statements supporting their client.

You will need to get your own lawyer.

It is possible that your RV is in violation because it stays there year round. I do know that at least part of The Pocono Mountains is very restrictive regarding any development. If you own land in such an area then you can hike on your land and you can Tent camp but that's about it.

You could try and get a copy of the statute/laws your are alleged to be violating.

The $600 seems very high to appeal....But this could be a intentional move by the township to keep people from fighting back.

Best of luck

2017 Heartland Trail runner 24 SLE
2017 Ford F150 3.5 Eco boost

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:14:16 AM »
Before you spend money on a lawyer, go to the township offices in person, and get a copy of land use regulations that apply to your property.  You might find a friendly clerk who can help you understand the rules governing the use of your land.  Don't call or email because then they will most likely be busy and cannot give you a full answer over the phone. 

One thing you want is a copy of the zoning laws and the specific zoning of your property.

You are not there to argue, you just want to understand what someone is saying you are doing wrong.

Take with you evidence of your ownership or rent of your residence elsewhere.   

« Last Edit: Today at 01:15:56 AM by JudyJB »
Full-timing for over six years in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N