Yahoo email verification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judway

I received this message from "[email protected]"

>>Verify this email address   

You recently added a new email address to your Yahoo! account, or initiated verification of an existing email address. To verify that you own this email address, simply click on the link below.   

Verifying your email address ensures that you can securely retrieve your account information if your password is lost or stolen. You must verify your email address before you can use it on Yahoo! services that require an email address.   

For your security, please keep your email address information up-to-date. If this information changes, you can always update it by signing in to you Yahoo! account and changing it from the "My Account" area.<<

Is this legitimate or a fishing trick? I get suspicious of this type of email message. Several people do think that they own my email address, which gives some interesting reading material.

Wayne

Well, do you have a yahoo email account and did you add/change an email address recently?  Probably not, to one or both.

And that message source looks phony too - note that it is NOT yahoo.com, but rather "cc.yahoo-inc.com", which could be anybody. I'd put it in "File 13"

I would be very very suspicious of such an e-mail

Generally the only time I respond to a "Verify your information" E-mail is if I did something where I was told "You will be ask to verify"

In fact "Generally" is not the proper word... The ONLY time I click to verify is when I've been told to expect the E-mail

And then... Not always.

Frank

Thanks for the information. I had googled it also and came up with the same thing. I am still a little suspicious because I don't understand how I can have another email address on my yahoo account. I have been trying to get all of my email transferred over to the yahoo address and have now cancelled my compuserve account. Transferring to another account from a dead account ain't easy.

Wayne

You can associate multiple email addresses with a Yahoo account.  For example, I get my Yahoo group digests sent to my Gmail address that I have associated with my Yahoo account.  However, if you didn't just add another email address to your Yahoo account, then you should ignore the email.  If you did, in fact, add an email address then you should follow the instructions in the email to complete the association.

You can have a Yahoo account and not use Yahoo email, just as you can have a Google account and not use Gmail.

OK, I did just remove my compuserve pop account (cancelled it).  I did click the link button and it appears someone that I don't know has added his address to my account.  When I tried to get in it kept asking me to sign in as the other account. I haven't had any luck reporting this to yahoo yet. My yahoo mail does still work.

Log onto your Yahoo account and change your password ASAP.  It's possible that your account has been compromised.  Check all your account settings after changing the password and especially the email addresses associated with the account.

This one depends on how good you are at reading header info.. But if you click on FULL HEADERS (in yahoo web mail that's at the bottom right on the page) you can see if the message did, in fact, come from a source within Yahoo (NOTE:This would include folks like us,  Simple users) or if it came from an external phisher type.

If it originated on a yahoo account  in a second window or tab go to help.yahoo.com and find the forwarding address for their fraud or abuse department.

Use cut and paste to copy the full message.  HEADER AND ALL  To a message to the abuse folks

Or you can copy just the header and add it to a forward

The old days if you clicked full headers, then forward, it forwarded the headers too.

Back
Top Bottom