Apple Also vulnerable to Virus Attacks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, I've  known for years you need to protect MACs. Don't have a mac but here is the logic

When jerks write viruses they tend to target windows because.. Well, if you are going to blow up a bus or train station

Do you blow up Hodunk, or NYC's Grand Central Staion?

Naturally if your intent is to do damage,  GCS.

And just like the terrorist, The terrorist ,ur, Hacker is interested in causing the greatst amount of pain and suffereing.

Thus, it's not that Mac's don't catch cold. (Get a virus) it's that jerks don't target them

But the jerks are learning.. and when a Mac catches cold.... IT IS BAD

I mean when White man first came to this land it was not guns or kinves or other weapons that did the most damage to the natives.. It was bacteria.  They had no immunity to the diseases we brought with us.

Same with the mac, It has no natural immunity, so when someone writes a virus for it, it's a plague over night.

Of course it's not always bad (Save for the user)  I was chatting with a software designer once,long time ago, and he told me of a product his company put out.. Now if you bought it and used it in compliance with the lincense..No problems

But if you made a copy and gave it to someone.. and they ran it.. There was sort of an easter egg

It took over your computer and not even turning off and on would fix it (You had to call the company and admit to being a pirate, then type a simple command on the keyboard)

The screen said PIRATE PIRATE PRIATE scrolling up constantly and a siren sound was generated.. No actual damage was done.

The very first time I encountered a virus was when I worked for Apple Computer, in the early 90s.

Our project got hit and no one knew how to handle it then ... there was no "virus protection" software. So, we were instructed to wipe out the hard drives, reinstall the OS, and essentially start over with all of the Macs used in the project.

We lost several days because of it.

Of course, there are many more Windows hit than Macs or Linux, etc. This is just numbers ... there are many more users out there with Windows machines ... therefore they are a bigger target and hence more viruses, etc are written for Windows PCs. And, because there are more Windows users, there's a higher probability that some of them will get hit.

But, bottom line, is that NO OS is completely safe ... all you can do is reduce your vulnerability with anti-virus, etc software and your exposure with common sense and safe surfing ... then, keep your fingers crossed.  ;)

Another tempest in a teapot!

Apple has withdrawn the advisory as outdated. Macs (not MACs)remain virus free since onset of OS X...Trojans are another story

rhmahoney said:
Another tempest in a teapot!

Apple has withdrawn the advisory as outdated. Macs (not MACs)remain virus free since onset of OS X...Trojans are another story

Sounds like they just do not want to admit something. ;D ;D ;D

Ron:Sounds like they just do not want to admit something.

Now that is a classic demonstration of the Stockholm syndrome.

seilerbird said:
What is a "Mac"???

The "Mac" is the nickname for the original Apple Macintosh computer that came out in January, 1984. 

Nowadays it is commonly used as a general reference to any personal computer made by the Apple corporation.

Back
Top Bottom