Where to refuel a Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonahNaz

Another newbie, another newbie question.  I have searched the web wide and far for a good place to ask questions and so far found RV Forum to be the best and most indepth.  Thanks to all who post on this forum.

We just bought a 2003 Class A - gas a couple of weeks ago.  Over Thanksgiving we took our maiden trip to my parents (700 miles round trip) in anticipation of going to my wive's family at Christmas (3500 miles round trip).  All went well since it was mainly a road trip with a couple of us sleeping in the coach while parked on the street.  No shore power or extended slideouts, just the furnace.

Here is my question - Can you drive a Class A under the canopy of a regular gas station?  Our coach is about 12' tall with AC units.  We refueled twice, once at a truck stop with tall canopy and once at a Flying J with no canopy at the RV refuel pumps.  All went well.

For out trip to Arizona later this month, I have searched out RV friendly refuel sites such as Flying J, TA, Loves, etc.  We can make it there and back just fine, but I am wondering about general refueling.  what if we need fuel and the only site available is a regular convienence store type gas station.

Does anyone know the average height of gas station canopies?

Thanks for your help.

That's a great question. We've fueled under the canopy of numerous gas stations, including our local Safeway store just a couple of days ago. The closest we ever came was when our prior coach had a CB antenna on the roof, the antenna could be heard touching the underside of the canopy of some gas stations.

I sure wish they'd post the height/clearance. If it's not a truck stop, one of us always gets out and 'spots' the other driving in. Even if we've been in there numerous times, I still get that same feeling I get when driving our Suburban into a multi-story parking garage.

Have seen some we would not even consider driving under.  Usually at places like FJ they are high enough but like Tom I wish stations would post the heights.

Our coach is 12' 3" and we have refueled at a lot of stations in the last six years with no problems. Did see one in Forrest City Iowa where the Winnebago factory is located that had the height posted - 12' 8" as I recall.

I usually refuel at a travel center or something similar off an interstate but have used neighborhood type stations on many occasions.

I do think it's pretty easy to get complacent though - at least it is for me.
I am glad you brought the subject up because I really should pay more attention to the height of stations and resolve to do so from now on.

Welcome aboard!

Like ClayL I too have become very complacent.  Maybe this post will wake some of us up and save an accident. 

Well, I'm "anal" ;D and I'm a sticker for checking things out; just ask my husband, I drive him nuts.  We drive a lot of back roads and have stopped at a few local stations and do what Tom does.  The passenger gets out and spot checks the height of the canopy; as well as, the ease of leaving the station.  Some of the local gas stops are tight with entry and exit. 

Jonahnaz, the more you use the rig, the more comfortable you will get.  After a while, you'll have a feel for how much room you actually need.  But then like the others have said, you can't get complacient.....that's why my husband has me..... ;) 

Marsha~

I am far more anal about being able to get out than I am about height.  I have gotten off the interstate many times to get gas and got back on without  purchasing anything, simply because it didn't look like I could get out once I got in. 

I know I need to start paying more attention to heights too.

In addition to fuel canopies, there are low overpasses to contend with in some parts of the country. So, it's a good idea to know the height of your RV and to have it handy at the dash, maybe using some Dymo tape.

If you don't know already know what it is, here's a handy dandy method of measuring the height of your rig, devised by forum staffer Ron Marabito.

I made up a check list for a) arrival b) departure c) storage, had it laminated and keep it on the dash.  Additionally, I included the MH height, width, and weight so that they are readily available as I drive down the road. 

Good idea George. We have some friends who are ex-pilots, and they have laminated checklists for everything on their boat.

Now that is a good question and alas there is no answer.. Or nod difinitive answer

Some gas stations the canopy is like sixteen feet above the pavement.. And those you can drive under

Some it's 14, And again, you should be able to drive under

Some it's 12.. And then it depends on your rig (mine is 12' 6")

and some it's 10

Don't go there

One suggestion,  Many folks like to put a CB (or in my case HAM) radio in their rig

I have my current 2mtr/70cm antenna on the mirror.. This puts the tip of the antenna well below the roof line

But it would not take much to mount a CB antenna on the other mirror (or move my 2/.7mtr antenna to the other side and mouunt a big whip on the driver's mirror) and set it so the tip is level or even an inch or two ABOVE the top of the rig

Approach very slowly (I'd like six inches grace in fact) if the tip rakes the canopy.. Back out.

NOTE.. That, of course, only works with a level approach

Option 2: When I gas up at my local SHELL station I choose the outside pump.. I can pull up a couple of feet out and there's nothing over the rig but blue sky.... Problem here is if you are not centered on the pump.. The hose won't reach.

(Of course I am nearly always well centered... I mounted a side view camera in the same panel as the gas cap. Centered on the screen is centered on the rig too.

Thank you for all of your responses.  I am glad to see that I am not the only one who tends to be anal.  As a former test pilot - I too use checklists and have already measured and noted the height.  I must say, that I am going to remeasure using the laser/ladder method.  I had not thought about width, so thanks for the advice.  It seems that there is plenty of travel plaza's along the route, I am just concerned about being caught low on fuel and not near a travel plaza.

I have already employed the - "get out and watch method".  However, it was late and night and one of the kids spilled a drink and my wife was dealing with that so I was the get out and watch - get in and move - get out and watch.  I did learn a little later that the back up monitor has a microphone on it so someone can call out warning from the rear of the coach.

By the way, I will add this tidbit for those who may not know about Gas Buddy.  www.gasbuddy.com  This is a website that thousands of people across the country will daily post fuel prices.  There is a trip planner to calcualte the optimal fuel stops to help save on gas. 

I am just concerned about being caught low on fuel and not near a travel plaza.

Another good rule of thumb is not to let the tank go below one-half.  That way you have some wiggle room.  ;)

When you use a Flying J RV island, look before entering.  Every one I've seen shares the space with cars and some people simply have no clue how difficult it can be to maneuver a big vehicle around an area like that.  In fact, looking before entering is good for ALL fuels islands and shopping areas and....

ArdraF

Tom said:
If you don't know already know what it is, here's a handy dandy method of measuring the height of your rig, devised by forum staffer Ron Marabito.

Seems a little complex, but obviously it works for Ron.  :)  I just dropped one end of a tape measure from the roof of my RV, locked the tape and got that number.  Then added the height of the A/C cover in my case (or whatever the tallest thing is on your roof).

As far as fueling, I've refueled at more small gas stations than truck stops or RV pumps and never had a problem with height.  Generally any gas station (1) near an interstate or state highway, or (2) with Diesel pumps, will be built to accommodate semi trucks... which mean most RV's are fine as well.  Same thing with bridge underpass heights in my experience. 

When we had a gas motorhome we used regular gas stations all the time.  I've seen a few with covered pump areas that I wouldn't risk driving under, but they are few.  You are much more likely to have problems making the required turns to exit than to have overhead clearance problems.

Scott,

Forum members have reported overpasses/bridges that would be too low for our coach. They would be on secondary roads, not on freeways.

FWIW here's a prior discussion on the height of our coach, and several unsuccessful attempts to make it lower; A true story, but posted in good humor. As you'll see from the discussion, there was no shortage of suggestions from forum members. IIRC this was the discussion that caused Ron M to create that drawing; Again, partly to provide an accurate measurement and partly in humor.

Thought I'd Google for fun and stumbled across these gas station design criteria for the city of Scottsdale (pdf file). The relevant paragraph says:

"Canopy height, as measured from the finished grade to the lowest point on the canopy fascia, should not exceed 13?- 9?. The clearance height of canopies should be clearly indicated on the structure or through use of a headache bar."

Tom said:
Forum members have reported overpasses/bridges that would be too low for our coach. They would be on secondary roads, not on freeways.

Right... "interstate or state highway" is what I was referring to with bridge height.  I think most of those in the U.S. nowadays should be mandated by commerce laws to fit a standard sized semi truck & trailer.  Within the last 10-15 years, many small towns in Illinois had sections of 2-lane highways rebuilt AROUND the towns (whereas the original road goes right through the town) to avoid smaller bridges and curves that previously prevented large vehicles from proceeding safely.

Tom said:
IIRC this was the discussion that caused Ron M to create that drawing; Again, partly to provide an accurate measurement and partly in humor.

Makes a LOT of sense now!  :)  And you even got all the way to "Plan F" before calling it quits.  Commendable!

I think most "modern" service stations and convenience stores won't be a problem height-wise.  There was a poster a year or two ago that did run into trouble pulling into an older place -- not with the canopy, but with an electrical/phone wire strung across the lot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom