Buying a GMC/Chevy 2500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alcmaeon

Hey Folks

I am buying a 2008 Diesel Sierra or Silverado 2500 crew cab while the deals are so good.  I will have this truck for a long time, as I tend to get everything possible out of my vehicles.  I am trying to future proof this rig.  I want to maximise the potential future hauling and towing capacity with the available factory options.  That way if I get a new cab-over or a trailer or schooner or what not I will be able keep more options open. 

I do not tow anything as of yet and one option I didn't understand was the alternators.  The GM 2500s have optional 160-amp alternators and/or dual 125 amp alternators on the list of upgrades.  What does the choice of either do for me?

Also, I understand that going to the 4.10 axle ratio is best for maximising towing, but I figure since there are at least 3 options for axle ratio than the other ratios must serve a purpose, what am I giving up or doing differently by going with the 4.10?

(LOL, the spell checker just told me that the proper spelling for cab-over is Gorbachev, gotta love AI)

the spell checker just told me that the proper spelling for cab-over is Gorbachev

That's funny. OTOH "cabover" (one word) checks out OK.

You won't get all those axle options once you select the diesel engine, which is a must for good tow/haul performance.  Nor do you need an oversized alternator unless you expect to run a lot of electrical loads from the truck itself (that would be typical of an ambulance or emergency vehicle, but not towing an RV).

Get more opinions before ordering the 4.10 rear end.

I got one in my 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel and while it does help move heavy loads "off the line", the downside is that the engine revs higher at all speeds with an accompanying loss of fuel mileage -- and the higher revs can be real annoying when using any gear other than high + OD.

Based on my experience and that of other Ram diesel owners with whom I have discussed this, the diesel has plenty of torque to move heavy loads with the lower (numerical) rear end.  I feel certain that this is also true of Fords and Chebbies.

Best of luck with your decision and many long years of trouble free service!

Don Nesbitt
Cary, NC

Not sure about the 09 models, but our 03 only had the 2.73 option with the diesel engine. We tow a 34 ft Hitchhiker with ours
and it does a very good job. The HH is about 2000 lb heavier than our old trailer and we lost just under 1 mpg towing. But
then we don't drive fast. No place to go and no hurry to get there. ha ha

Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom