1973 Dodge Banner Remodeling, gas replacing or cleaning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d_a_n_payne

Hey guys...newbie here...Ive been waitin for a deal on an rv for about 3yrs now and it finally came...it was kinda wierd tho...i got towed from a bar that i was at because i was too close to the road, i guess, and when i went to pick my truck up they had it sittin right beside this amazing thing...

1973 Dodge Banner

i know it doesnt look like much but i love it...and when he told me i could have it for 500 i almost cried...he did say it had been sittin for 3 or 4 years but he said it ran before he parked it...he said it just needs a new battery and replace the gas...he also said that the brakes were messing up and locked up occasionally...

So I was wondering if yall could give me some tips on gettin this beast back up and runnin...I have a really good battery but I dont exactly know how I should handle the gas...can I just siphon it out and replace or does it need to be cleaned out? I figured rust would be in there by now...and what else should I do other than an oil change before I try and start it up? 

I plugged it into my house to check the electronics out and suprisingly all the lights still worked...but the AC acted wierd...when I put it on low cool or low fan it made a quiet sound with no air coming out...then when I turn it up to medium or high it just stops...does it just need to be recharged or something? And does anyone know where I can find a manual or something?

Well ill try and get some more pics up eventually...its rainin right now...thanks guys

I'd drain as much fuel as I could from the tank and try to pump out the fuel line as well, if it hasn't all evaporated by now.  If the tank is accessible, it might have a drain in the bottom.  You don't want any of that crud in the carb. Unfortunately, whatever fuel was in the carb probably evaporated and left a waxy film behind - a carb rebuild would be high on my priority list. Or better yet, a throttle body injection conversion kit.

Welcome aboard Dan! 

Sounds like you found a real deal, but it may take some work to get it in shape to enjoy.  I'm sure there are plenty of helpful and knowledgeable people here on the forum to help guide you. 

They towed it for me for 75 bucks...

How much do you think a carb rebuild or that conversion kit would cost?

Thanks guys...im sure ill find more help than I need here...

Carb rebuilt kits run $30-$50.  Its not hard to rebuild one, just be methodical about grouping related parts together & following the directions in the kit.  I've done it several times.

Carefully look at all hoses, especially pressure containing ones.  Any signs of cracks or being hard deserves replacement.  That includes brake hoses at the wheels, fuel lines, heater hoses, belts, vacuum lines, radiator hoses,etc.  Check the radiator for signs of rotten metal near the bottom and at soldered joints.  Check for rusty brake & other fluid lines.  It probably has a Dodge M500 chassis under it.  Manuals are available for it.

For the A/C, most likely it time for it to be replaced.  Other things to look for include leaks from the roof, sides, windshield, etc.

Have fun with the remodel/rebuild!

How much for TBI conversion? Don't really know. They are readily available for GM and Ford engines but not so easy for Mopar (Dodge) engines. Here is one source that has a TBI kit for DIY install for around $500
http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/store.php?crn=214

TBI is fairly expensive but the benefits include  improved fuel economy, better throttle response, longer spark plug life, and easier starting in all weather conditions.  True EFI would be even better, but now we are talking really big bucks.

Thanks guys...well i went and turned the ac back on...this time it started makin a louder noise and some air started coming out...I turned it off tho...dont wanna break nothing cuz of something small I didnt fix...

Do yall know of any places in north louisiana that I could ask a guy to come take a look at it?

About the only thing that makes banging noises in the a/c is the fan, which is actually atwo fans on one motor shaft. Might be clattering against the housing somewhere. That could be because the fan has moved on the shaft (we recently had a case where rust caused that) or the housing has shifted somehow.

Back
Top Bottom