How Much Weight is Reasonable for Coleman PUP Roof?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sirius33

Hi Everyone,

We just bought a Coleman PUP and taking delivery tomorrow.  It is the Westlake model from their Destiny line.

My question regards loading up the roof with accessories.  We are having a Coleman 13.5K a/c unit installed which I understand weighs approx. 100#.  We also bought the double cross bar kit.  These are both Coleman manufactured add-ons and installed by the dealer.

We currently have a Yakima cargo pod - the RocketBox 16. It is large - 92" long and a 16 cu.ft capacity.  That cargo box can really be loaded up.

Therefore.............how much weight can be loaded onto the roof before creating havoc in the form of damage, bowing, strain on the lift system, etc...

Thanks.

Frank

Sirius33 said:
Therefore.............how much weight can be loaded onto the roof before creating havoc in the form of damage, bowing, strain on the lift system, etc...

Wouldn't you be unloading the cargo box before using the popup lift system?  If so, then you only need to be concerned with the weight onto the roof while traveling.  Whatever you could do to spread the weight over a larger area would help.  I used to carry a Scanoe on my Coleman Popup and never had any problems with the top.  However the Scanoe spread the weight from front to back and only weighed about 150 lbs as I recall.

Also it is important to take into consideration that whatever is loaded on top is felt on the suspension.  Be VERY careful not to exceed the GVWR of the PUP.

Thanks for replies.  Turns out my question was premature and/or moot as the RocketBox will not fit with the a/c unit installed due to interference when opening the hinged lid.

Ergo, we are getting the much smaller SpaceCadet cargo box and my above concern is no longer an issue.

btw:  I realized as soon as I read Lowell's post that that is exactly what we used to do with our prior PUP and the cargo box.  DOH!

Lowell said:
Wouldn't you be unloading the cargo box before using the popup lift system?  If so, then you only need to be concerned with the weight onto the roof while traveling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom