Ideas for stickies, getting some content over here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
Ya'll (I can say that since I'm in Texas) be thinking about topics for four or five stickies to keep here.  Over on the other forum we had a bunch, almost too many, but most were quite useful.  I'll gather ideas and then we'll make it happen.  I'll combine the current two stickies into one when we get busy with this.

Content: we had a plethora of useful threads and over time I would like to restart them over here so we can start to build our knowledge base.  Please be thinking about that as well.

The only "sticky" that I thought was useful was the "Winnebago plumbing and electrical Diagrams".  I know it's on the Winnebago website (and I appreciate that Winnebago!!!!), it was just buried in there somewhat.

Content....Alot of us have changed our converters and inverters....have installed some flat screens....have had some basement air issues (actually my inside coil still freezes occasionally!  :mad:  ).........Come Summer, I would like some more input on the Basement air issue as I understand that Winnebago has upgraded the capacity of the air for 2009.

Note that we already have some threads on tv upgrades and other remodeling projects on the Remodeling Your RV board at http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?board=79.0

We also maintain direct links to numerous sources of RV tech info in the Resources are of our site. Click the RESOURCES button and on the Resources menu you will see a section for User & Service Manuals. If you have additional sources to add, send them to Tom Jones so he can include them there. The more we have, the more useful the site is to everybody.

Adding to Gary's comments, we also have articles in our forum library - click the Library button above. Those articles are created by forum members or staff. In many cases, someone takes the content of a discussion and distills it into an article, sometimes with photos. Feel free to offer your own creation, or suggest one be created.

Nowt wrong with judiciously used stickies though, and they certainly have their purpose. Too many, and they shove all the newer stuff below the fold. It's John's call how to handle this stuff, and I'm looking forward to learning some new stuff.

Gary & Tom - good ideas!  It would probably be better to have most of our technical sticky stuff in a central repository.  We're just feeling our way around here but we do need a few stickies - we'll have an obvious community consensus after some period of time.  On the other forum, we had over a display page of stickies - it was annoying as it kept growing.

How about a folder for the stickies?  I thought that they were useful as well, but they had gotten out of hand.  If one folder at the top had all the stickies inside, then you could click on it to view each subject.  Don't know if that will work, just throwing out ideas.....

Sarge

Sarge - check out the library button - there is a treasure chest of info buried there.  Tom and I were email chatting about this and I thought we all could benefit from our sub-section of the library.  Tom moves slowly - about 30 minutes after our emails, it was done.  Solves the sticky problem.  We can have one or two stickies here and one can have maybe a link to specific Winnie topics.

We need to be careful to only pull in public domain stuff or have a release from the owner.  Shouldn't be any problem with the Winnie-produced maps, Forest City info, etc.  Links to Winnie resources are no problem.  I'm certain I can get authorization from Winnebago.  Our stuff needs to be Winnie-specific for the Winnie section, or it should be in the general library if it would benefit others - this way, everybody wins.

Is it possible to have say winnie specific stuff(Winnie specific coach issues) stuck here and then a link from a relative message board so others could easily view our solutions without having to visit the Winnie Board. A forum that I visit does it this way but for issues that may be placed on the wrong board is moved to the appropriate board but the link still remains in the original board.
Just a thought - Frank O.

Hold that thought Frank, appreciate the input. John and I are discussing various options, but I'll leave the decision on what should or should not be sticky to John.

Is it possible to have say winnie specific stuff(Winnie specific coach issues) stuck here and then a link from a relative message board so others could easily view our solutions without having to visit the Winnie Board.

If indeed it's Winnebago-specific, there shouldn't be a need to link from elsewhere. But, if it might have a broader application, yet is still Winnebago-specific, we have several options for creating a menu of links to those messages on the Winnebago board, sticky or otherwise. Folks could also find them without visiting here by using the Search feature.

A forum that I visit does it this way but for issues that may be placed on the wrong board is moved to the appropriate board but the link still remains in the original board.

In the event a staffer moves a message from a "wrong board" to a more appropriate one, they have an option to leave behind a redirection link in a message saying "this topic has been moved to xxx". (The link would be active.) This used to be a default setting here, but we changed the default to "no redirection" because the forum was getting cluttered with them. Where it's appropriate to leave one, a staffer merely checks a box on the 'move topic' screen, and it's done. My take is that, in most cases, if a message was inadvertently placed on, say, a generic board, there's no need for a redirection notice if a staffer moves it to the Winnebago board.

Bottom line, there are lots of options, and John will decide what happens on this board.

Frank,

Here's an example of what I believe you were talking about in respect of redirection links to moved messages. One of the redirection links is to the Winnebago Owners board, and the other is to the moved message.

Hope that clarifies part of the ramble in my prior message.

Tom,
You were not rambling, just clarifying what I was trying to describe. It is probably easier to implement then to describe, at least by me.
Thanks for your input, Frank O.

Frank - exactly the kind of thinking I'm looking for.  We want to consider all options and even when we drive a stake in the ground, we need to be flexible to change things if we find a better way.

Keep those ideas coming!

If we use the "TV Upgrade" as an example. I posted a topic for my upgrade as an example for Winnie/Itasca owners with similar setups as I have. However, there are things that I did and used that could be used by other brand owners. If posted as a specific Winnie upgrade then it is possible other brand owners may not view the post. If we had a sticky for upgrades specific to Winnies then links to it from the other "Upgrade" board then other brand owners would still get to it through searches.
Frank O.

Im not sure if this is what your looking for or if Im to late but bill's (duner) instructions on how to remove, install , and preform maintenance on basement air.

John Canfield said:
Great minds think alike!  I have been after Bill for a few weeks to get his air conditioner R&R document here.  Bill.. are you there buddy  ???
I had the "Duner Watch" from till last Wed. when he QSY'd to Yuma....

We all had a great time out there. Weather was 70-80 during the day, and short-sleeves at night around the campfire. Bill had nothin' but bad things to say about you... :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom