2001 Winnebago questionable roof design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbostic

The top driver side of my roof came loose and a piece boke out. Temporary repair by truck mechanic was to use sheet metal screws to hold down. Called manufacturer because of ten year roof warranty. NOT covered only the fiber glass is covered. Piece did break out?? Design only has roof tucked in about 1/4 of an inch with caulking holding in place. I have check seams and waxed top recently before the trip and would have notice any cracks in seal.

Not a happy owner with the manufacturer response. Did not even offer the repair kit at discount. Since there is a repair kit-makes me think this has happen to others

Had full extended warranty on coach but this only covers mechanical repairs.

Decided to repair myself with aluminum metal and pop rivets then covering with Eternabond material.

Has anyone else had this problem??

Richard,

From one of his earlier messages, Jinny has a 2001 Winnebago Adventure 35U.

2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35U with 34000 miles

Have really enjoyed the coach so far-just venting my feeling about the dissatisfaction of warranty. Only have had minor problems other than this issue and this could have been worse. Lost section about the size of my hand. Pop rivet metal patch and covered with the Eternabond product. Does not look factory perfect but not bad. The tape all the way down the side that has spot missing I did with first 12 inch wide section down to where the slide out breaks so it would line up with this and look like section of roof was suppose to line up with slide-out edge. The went with another four inch wide piece of same tape all the way down side to make sure everything is sealed down so as not to have future trouble. Pop rivets in place of the metal screws road mechanic use to make it look better. The other side I used two inch wide tape for the seal down and it was easier to handle and keep straight.

Thanks-Jimmy Bostic-Golo, Kentucky

Jimmy - yeah - I've heard of some roof separation issues in the past.  They want that roof to sidewall joint checked every six months for integrity of the caulk and they specify a particular non-silicone caulk be used.  Eternabond would be an excellent repair IMHO if you can figure out how to make it aesthetically pleasing.

To check that joint, you need to push in all along the roof where it meets the sidewall - it is almost impossible to determine how healthy the joint is by visual means alone.

Times are extremely difficult for manufacturers and especially for manufacturers of recreational equipment (not to mention the entire supply/distribution chain.)  Winnebago might have done something for you as goodwill a year or two ago, but don't look for it now.  They have gone to a 50% production schedule, the Charles City plant has been shut down and hundreds of people are laid off.

I am pulling for them that they can survive this current economic climate  :eek:

This might not help the OP, but

If I am not mistaken, there was a roof design change in late 2001, when Winnebago started overlapping the fiberglass roof edges under the edge of the roof gutter.  I may be mistaken in the year they started this......

Could have been Mark - Don't know either.  I think Winnie has again changed the roof-sidewall design maybe with the introduction of the Maxxim (or whatever they call it) chassis.

At the GNR (Grand National Rally) this summer we had factory service check our joint and sure enough it needed a touch up of caulk.  I am resigned to the fact this will be a necessary maintenance item at least once a year.  I have toyed with the idea of using 3M 5200 and completely redoing the joint.  5200 was the caulk for the boat where you absolutely needed a waterproof and tenacious product.  The stakes were a little higher sailing than RVing - especially when we were 200 miles offshore - we really didn't want any below the waterline leaks  ;D

I went to Forest City this year and had a windshield replaced. They also offered to inspect all the caulking and silicone joints while it was there. I had them do the inspection and they said the the roof seams could use redone.  I had them do it there.  They did the back and front, as well as the side seams just above the compartment doors.  It was worth the $ just to get it done.

I'm not sure I understand what this defect is. Are we talking about where the fibreglass roof comes down and fits behind the side gutter?  And did this fibreglass edge flip out from behind the side gutter, of did a part of the edge break off the edge?

On my 01 Adventurer a thumbnail-sized piece has come out of the edge, and I have patched it for the moment.

Is that what we are talking about.
Pictures would help.

Rankjo

Yes, that is the problem area with the roof. It is caulked just above the side gutter and as John has stated it is susposed to be checked every six months.
I had mine checked yearlly. Never had a problem. When buying a used Winnie this is one of the first things to be checked on the house/coach. In fact you should look at it at time of purchase.

I just used 2" Eternabond on mine and hope that is the end of seam troubles.. Good Miles

And its good to be able to visit with you all... :)

Ranko

Yes this is exactly area of roof that I was referring. The edge of curve section only tucks in under gutter mold very little and does not even have locking edge like house vinyl siding does or house metal roofing. Was very disappointed with this design. As stated early my repair used pop rivets to secure. My only worry would be how much stress these will have and whether it will cause further cracking of my roof. Covered pop rivets with Eternabond and lapped Eternabond down into the gutter to make seal bonding over the remaining existing caulk. Used aluminum metal flashing to cover large hole (about hand size), pop rivet in place and covered this area with large piece of Eternabond. Like I said before handling this large a piece of Eternabond and going all the way down both sides was a challenge to keep straight. If I can later learn what size picture I can post, will show you the results which I am not totally pleased but can live with.

[quote author=jbostic]If I can later learn what size picture I can post, will show you the results ...[/quote]

Jimmy, the maximum attachment size (each file or photo) is 250 KB, with a maximum of 12 attachments and 2 Mb per post. Need to attach more than 12 photos? Just reply to your own message and attach another 12 photos (or 2 Mb).

FrontrangeRVer said:
This might not help the OP, but

If I am not mistaken, there was a roof design change in late 2001, when Winnebago started overlapping the fiberglass roof edges under the edge of the roof gutter.  I may be mistaken in the year they started this......
My 2007 Itasca Suncruiser has the fiberglass roof wrap down the sidewall approx. 4" then it is tucked under the rain gutter. My rain gutter/roof separated from the sidewall in an aprrox. 6 foot section, I could actually see the sheared off screws, all I could think of was the wind getting under there and tearing the whole roof off. Winnebago had my dealer re-drill from the inside and install new 1" screws, not sure how far apart they were. Luckily I found this defect while waxing it this spring prior to ONLY our second trip in it, the coach had about a 500 mile trip on it a year ago November and was put away for the winter, sure glad I decided to wax it before my 2000 mile trip in the spring. Unfortunately just one of the very disconcerting problems I have had w/this 12000 mile annoyance of a pleasure vehicle. (P.S. - Winnebago HAS fixed everything or TRIED to fix everyting under warranty, there still is that annoyng water leak up front)

We've not that kind of roof issue and apparently the roof-sidewall design is different depending on the model and/or year produced.  Not everything is perfect on our unit and like your experience, Winnie has gone an extra mile to make everything right.  Once we get our new fuel filler necks installed, we will have almost the perfect coach  8)

This is very timely for me( newbie to forum).  During my current vacation I have been cleaning our recently purchased 2001 Winne Journey.  Both sides of the roof line are deteriorated as mentioned in the other posts.  I called WB and was advised that the caulk is the integral part of the connection as there is NO mechanical connection to the side gutter.  I have called the local dealer and am getting "bright white urethane" caulk.  WB advised strongly to get the caulk UNDER the fiberglass as well as filling up the small depression.

Hi - welcome to our gathering  ;D

Glad we could be of value to you!  Be very, very sure the dealer uses the sealant as specified in the sealant callout reference - link here.  Like Ronald Regan used to say - "trust, but verify" - I would make them prove to you it is the correct sealant before they start work.  Knowledge is power - the more you know about your rig, the less problems you will have with quality of service performed.

Let us know if there are any more questions!

I've noticed on another website that some have inserted standard size rubber screen door spline in the gap between the roof and gutter edge then used, as John C mentioned, the appropriate caulk and in some instances Eternabond.  I am going to give this a try when the weather warms up.

Back
Top Bottom