35mm slide to digital converter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dolphin Jockey

Hi Folks,

I have accumulated a bunch of 35mm slides over the past 50 years or so and I a considering a "rainy day" project of converting some of the better ones to a digital format for passing down to my children.  Does anyone know of a decent converter?  I found one at http://www.hammacher.com/publish/75800.asp but before spending money sight-unseen I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions.  Thanks.

George,

I think you will be very disappointed with the quality of the digital output from that cheap machine. If you really want to do a good job, get a NIKON CoolScan. I've got the 4000 with an automatic feeder. It does 50 slides at a time and the quality of the digital image is as good as if the image was taken with a 12 meg digital camera. The 4000 has been replaced with the 5000. You can find used 4000's on ebay.

If the NIKON is beyond your budget, look into an EPSON document scanner with the slide adapter. This will do a much better job than the HS unit you were looking at.

See THIS for a discussion on the HS unit.

Give me a call if you want to discuss all the little "got ya's" involved with slide scanning.

Chet18013

Chet

We have a couple of thousand slides that should be converted to digital. So a couple of years ago, we bought a Canon 990 scanner which was a top rated scanner at the time, had the ability to scan a dozen or so slides simultaneously and had the Canon version of the ICE slide image clean-up tool. What it doesn't have is a Round-to-it tool ;) We've done an awful lot of scanning using the scanner but haven't done one slide yet.

BernieD said:
Chet

We have a couple of thousand slides that should be converted to digital. So a couple of years ago, we bought a Canon 990 scanner which was a top rated scanner at the time, had the ability to scan a dozen or so slides simultaneously and had the Canon version of the ICE slide image clean-up tool. What it doesn't have is a Round-to-it tool ;) We've done an awful lot of scanning using the scanner but haven't done one slide yet.

Have sent you a ROUND TUIT via E-Mail so you can get the job done.

Ron & Sam

Chet,

Thanks for the info.  I looked at the Nikon Coolscan.  Told Jean she could buy me one for Christmas.  She just laughed and walked away.  So much for that idea.  :mad:

Also checked out the discussion of the HS unit.  Lots of chatter but nothing from anyone who has one.  I may give it a try, just for giggles.  If it turns out to be junk I can always return it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom