W-20/W-22 Workhorse Chassis Brake Problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Epicman said:
It's not the pins that are the problem, it is the phenolic pistons in the calipers that are swelling with moisture and heat, then seizing in the extended position causing the pad to drag and overheat. Replacing just the pistons is not a common repair so calipers with a newly designed piston will have to be supplied to the dealer, then the cores will probably be factory rebuilt with new pistons. Also a large rotor stock will have to be manufactured for replacing any cracked from overheating.

I think you've nailed it.......

That "lack of maintenance" theory may have been applicable, in part, to the old Ford caliper slide pin problem, but doesn't hold water with the modern pin arrangement.  JMH(Ford owners)O.

Hey, I have a idea. All the folks who's chassis fall in the recall range and havnt had a problem ( or have had a problem and believed all that brake fluid stuff, lack of use, blah,blah,blah) and still blame the owners for the brake problem, DO NOT take your chassis in to have the parts replaced when you get your recall notice.  Now we will see who really believed all that stuff or was just  a wh cheerleader. ;D . Hey Richard we have won a battle but not the war yet.

[
That`s the best idea I have read since this whole thing started.If all the Workhorse apologists stay home we shouldn`t have any problem scheduling recall appointments.

quote author=winnie35 link=topic=20215.msg214641#msg214641 date=1239556840]
Hey, I have a idea. All the folks who's chassis fall in the recall range and havnt had a problem ( or have had a problem and believed all that brake fluid stuff, lack of use, blah,blah,blah) and still blame the owners for the brake problem, DO NOT take your chassis in to have the parts replaced when you get your recall notice.  Now we will see who really believed all that stuff or was just  a wh cheerleader. ;D . Hey Richard we have won a battle but not the war yet.
[/quote]

winnie35 said:

Too funny, winnie35. I like the idea of all those that took issue with those that knew it wouldn't be strictly a maintenance or 'how ya drive it' should be the first to post if they plan on taking theirs in for the recall. Maybe since they weren't worried about any brakes failures, they'll waive their spot in line and let us bump up a bit! Going to be a long line...

I agree guys, maybe we can get ours fixed sooner. I cant believe there are people(on irv2) who still believes the problem is  brake fluid. That same mod and a few of his friends. Maybe they will just get the brake fluid from wh and leave the parts to us.  Richard I know you cant post there anymore but you should go there and read all the crap about brake fluid.  There is going to be some major back problems with all the patting on their backs ;D

I have a 2004 Winnie Adventurer W22 and am really concerned with the brake issues. I only have 6400 miles so it may be too early to start experiencing the failures. I assume I will end up in the middle of this recall. The one thing I feel is, if they jumped on this right away they would save money on the units that haven't failled. In my case, I may just need the Calipers. My rotors haven't been damaged yet(as far as I know).

So we will not hear anything until November?

02 windsport said:
  I see the recall spells out w22 chassis.  What about the w20 chassis that uses the same system ???  Is that included also???  I truly hope so for all us W20 owners, especially since we had gone through this also.

Not sure when NHTSA changed the notice, but if you go there now, it clearly includes W20 my 2001-20008 right in the heading of the document.
Link to recall notice

Yesterday I had new tires put on my Workhorse W-22.  It was pointed out that my routers were cracked from being over heated and that my anti-locking brake sensor had melted from the over heating.   

I called Workhorse to see if they would cover any of this under warrantee because of the recall on the brake issues.  I was told by Workhorse that they have never heard of a brake problem & they are not covering anything that isn?t under warrantee.  They also told me to call my local Workhorse repair center, which I did & was told they had no information about a brake issue and to call Workhorse. 

So now, I feel like I?m getting the run around by Workhorse.    I?ve been reading information on the forums for over a year about the ?brake? problem.    In fact, on the other forum, the Workhorse Ambassador is praising Workhorse for taking care of the ?brake? problem.     

Workhorse doesn?t seem to be doing anything on their own to fix the ?brake? problem.  It looks like NHTSA is making Workhorse do the recall on the ?brakes? if that ever happens.
:mad:

Yes, I would like to see this move a bit faster but since this recall was instigated by the NHTSA, we might be looking at this Fall or Winter before Workhorse is forced to remove their blinders on this recall. To my knowlege, Workhorse dealers haven`t been notified about the recall by the Corporate office yet and that in itself is annoying.  When I hear of the first instance of the recall notice or repairs being done, I will report it here.....without cheerleading and pom poms.    You`ve come the right site for the facts and information.  :)

The workhorse custom chassis owner forum on IRV2 has the info on the recall http://www.irv2.com/forums should get you there

They might be more helpful if you have the recall number

And yes, this sounds TO ME (I stress that cause I have NO legal standing) like something that MIGHT just be covered

If you end up paying, Document and save

John, if you read this thread, you would have realized that we have provided the same information and facts and links to the recall without going "over there".  That was the purpose of this thread.  All the information here without the bias there.  ;)

A couple of days ago I did a brake fluid flush and replacement. I checked with Workhorse about using Prestone DOT 3 synthetic and they said it was okay to use it.

It went well.
I used the electric boost pump technique I read about and it was pretty easy to do. DW checked the fluid color as it came out and told me when to stop activating the pump.
I used a clear tube feeding into a jar with some fluid in it so air wouldn't be sucked back up in the line.

I used a snap-on elbow  to connect the tube to the bleed fitting. It was supplied with a Mighty Vac unit I have. That sure helped on the front brakes where the brake line keeps the tube from coming straight out and mandates a pretty sharp turn.

I did check for air in the lines using the old method before I buttoned everything up and everything was fine.

It took about 3 1/2 quarts of brake fluid.

Hopefully that will forestall any caliper dragging until the recall is implemented.

Voyage1 said:
John, if you read this thread, you would have realized that we have provided the same information and facts and links to the recall without going "over there".  That was the purpose of this thread.  All the information here without the bias there.  ;)
voyag1 ,you hit the nail on the head. If you want good, honest and unbias info you will get it here. It amazes me how the one mod over there who ran so many folks off(some not by choice) is praising workhorse for "stepping up to the plate" because it cares about its customers.  Are you kidding me, is he for real, does he think we are that stupid?  GIVE ME A BRAKE. If it wasn't for us, NHTSA, And the help from some of our congressman we would still be fighting to get help on this issue.  WE( the people who have had brake problems and REPORTED it to nhtsa) Are the real reason there is light at the end of the tunnel.  If anybody wants a reason to visit that site john is referring to it would be to go back 2 1/2 years and read what and who that mod was blaming the brake problem on.  I can save you alot of reading by telling you he wasn't blaming wh but us.  I wonder if he and a few of his followers can tell us how crow tastes now.  p.s. Im sorry for long post but when someone tells us to go over there to get help or info about this recall that "they" have been fighting to stop or blame us for I had to chime in. As always this is just my opinion

I recently flushed my brake system also, however I went an extra step and compressed the pistons back into the calipers. I felt this may help since the ODI determined the original condition for the brake drag to be swelling of the piston. By pressing the piston back in, I felt that would assist in repositioning the piston so that the square cut seal could possibly return the piston back after the brakes have been applied, which is what is suppose to happen. We'll see if it works.
    I also rebuilt a set of calipers that I asked the dealer for when they serviced the vehicle for the exact brake concern we have been talking about.($1600 repair)  I bought all the necessary pistons, seals, and square cut seals for both calipers for under $100. They will be kept in the coach as a back up so I will not be stranded while traveling.
  As for the gentleman that was referenced from the other site in this thread, I met him in Tampa last spring at the RV Show and he was adimate about the cause being fluid contamination and it was the owners neglect that causes the concern.
I explained to him that I have been an instructor for a major car manufacturer here in the US for over 15 years and have maintained the vehicle including flushing the fluid every 2 years, but he still maintained his stance that it was owner neglect. I'm sure as someone else stated the taste of crow must be good !!!!!!

We are at Cheyenne Mountain State Park and forgot our laptop and using my cell phone to post my responses for the last two days is a PAIN.  I would like to respond to the last several posters but please let me get home and do it on my computer tomorrow.....stay tuned.  ;D

Looking at Duner's link to the recall, I am now concerned that it does not mention anything about people who are out of warranty and have had and paid for brake problem repairs out of their own pocket. Is there going to be any reimbursement to us????

rickandcheryl said:
Looking at Duner's link to the recall, I am now concerned that it does not mention anything about people who are out of warranty and have had and paid for brake problem repairs out of their own pocket. Is there going to be any reimbursement to us????
  Rick, the answer is yes and we have addressed this.  Keep your receipts!  :D

Voyage1 said:
  Rick, the answer is yes and we have addressed this.  Keep your receipts!   :D
Do you or anyone know if the work had to be done by a wh shop to get reimbursed. My last repair was done by a shop with cert mech but they were not a wh shop(imo this shop was sooooo much better than the last wh shop anyway). I just happened to break down about a block from their doors and was over 100 miles from a wh shop

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom