W-20/W-22 Workhorse Chassis Brake Problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RickandCheryl, I'm just curious if you sent in your repair receipts to Workhorse yet?

Hello all. I found this forum by doing a Google search on Workhorse Brake Recall. Yesterday evening I was heading out to the beach for the weekend with my wife. Brake calipers on the front seized up pretty good. I was able to limp it home. I did have this problem last year with the rear brakes and after letting them cool down at a gas station they freed up and I was able to carry on without anymore problems. This time however, the problem was more severe. The ABS light came on after I shut it down and then started up later and I lost all brakes (pedal to the floor). Luckily this was in the driveway when attempting to park.

I do have have my recall notice and have called a local WH dealer here in Ocala Florida. The rep said they would replace only the parts needed at this time. Getting ready to take it there now.

I'll keep you posted.

Rob

Rob,

I had a similar problem and started a thread "W22 Chassis - Total Brake Failure" if you want to track a similar issue.

When I called Workhorse, they were very helpful to include towing my MH about 100 to a service center for repair.  The detail are in the other thread.  Please keep us posted on how your repairs go and how Workhorse handles your problem.

JonahNaz

Rob, you came to the right place for information about the Workhorse Brake problems.  Only hard facts here, and no cheerleading......as you know, there is an "interim" notice that was sent out to the current Workhorse Chassis owners.  You will receive an "official" notice sometime in the Fall when Workhorse has the correct calipers (and pins) for the 48,000 chassis under the recall.

Make sure you have your owner information updated at the Workhorse.com site, and you will be notified via online and via hard copy, since you are the current owner.

Oh...WELCOME HERE!  :D

Like many here, I have received an email or two and a recall notice (brake) from Workhorse for my W20 chassis. (Only took 2 1/2 years but who's counting the years or mileage.) When I go to the WH website and log-in, I can't find the brake recall information. I don't find it listed under 'My Workhorse' 'Service', 'Support' and don't seem to see any recall information at all.

Where would I find the recall information at their website?

Richard....You will find that under "completed Campaigns" and "Open Campaigns" under "My Workhorse" when you log in.

There is no brake recall yet...just the fuel rail clip and the steering thing in my motorhome.

They will insert the Brake recall under the "open campaign" when the recall happens....its just not happening yet.

FrontrangeRVer said:
Richard....You will find that under "completed Campaigns" and "Open Campaigns" under "My Workhorse" when you log in.

There is no brake recall yet...just the fuel rail clip and the steering thing in my motorhome.

They will insert the Brake recall under the "open campaign" when the recall happens....its just not happening yet.

Thanks FrontrangerRVer; I do have the fuel rail clip listed but nothing else. Guess it just seems logical to me that the information would be posted at the WH website but was surprised when I couldn't find it.

I recently experienced my second brake failure on my 2004 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE with the Workhorse chassis. The second failure occurred two weeks and 150 miles after the first was repaired. The big difference regarding the second failure, was a total loss of braking. The heat generated by the stuck caliper boiled the brake fluid, thus causing a total loss of braking action. I'm not sure most owners affected by this problem realize this can occur.

Adding insult to injury, the authorized Workhorse repair center making the repairs informs me that Workhorse has no parts available for the repairs. My rig is going into it's third week at the repair center awaiting parts. I am being told it will be sometime in August before any parts are available. I have lost the use of this $100K+ investment, and my safety and the safety of others has been compromised due to inaction by Workhorse.

I believe this problem is much more serious than the recall indicates. I hope it doesn't take the loss of life or serious injury to someone to get this corrected. Is a class action lawsuit warranted here to bring attention to just how serious this problem is? I'm beginning to think so. If you own one of the affected rigs, be aware that you can experience a sudden total loss of braking.

Oldchief said:
I believe this problem is much more serious than the recall indicates. I hope it doesn't take the loss of life or serious injury to someone to get this corrected. Is a class action lawsuit warranted here to bring attention to just how serious this problem is? I'm beginning to think so. If you own one of the affected rigs, be aware that you can experience a sudden total loss of braking.

Welcome aboard and sorry to hear of your brake problems. Unfortunately, I can say that nothing you wrote surprises me, but if you dig around at the different RV forums, you'll see that I've made this as big as issue as I could, taking Workhorse to task for the last 2 1/2 years at their lack of response to such a serious safety issue. Some will tell you that it has finally been resolved, since the NHTSA forced a recall.

By the time my motorhome actually gets the inspection and possible repair, I will have driven it with this safety defect for over three and a half years... quite a black-eye on WH, in my opinion.

I have had the same problem with the brakes that most of you have had.  I also got the letter. I ignored the fact that they were only going to reimburse after Nov, 2007(My failure was May 2007) and sent all the paperwork into Workhorse.  This is what I was advised to do after talking to their customer center.  I received a denial of my claim with no reason.  I AM MAD!  They have had brake problems with these chassis's since early 2000 and have done nothing but skirt the issue.  When I had my failure the dealer that I was towed to said that Workhorse was having lots of brake problems, but they wouldn't do anything about mine.  $2800 later and 2 years and I find out that they lied!!!  I am thinking the same and someone else that posted earlier here, maybe it is time for a class action suit.

jjoray said:
I have had the same problem with the brakes that most of you have had.  I also got the letter. I ignored the fact that they were only going to reimburse after Nov, 2007(My failure was May 2007) and sent all the paperwork into Workhorse.  This is what I was advised to do after talking to their customer center.  I received a denial of my claim with no reason.  I AM MAD!  They have had brake problems with these chassis's since early 2000 and have done nothing but skirt the issue.  When I had my failure the dealer that I was towed to said that Workhorse was having lots of brake problems, but they wouldn't do anything about mine.  $2800 later and 2 years and I find out that they lied!!!  I am thinking the same and someone else that posted earlier here, maybe it is time for a class action suit.
two of my three brake repairs were made in june and aug of 2007. I expect to get denied as well. I agree a class action might be the best route.

Just got back from 2 months on the road, no brake problems but lost two dash air conditioning compressors (Charleston, SC and Las Cruces, NM) and two tires (Phoenix AZ). Yes, I have sent all my documentation to Workhorse. Still waiting of course, and I think it will be a VERY LONG wait. 

I had a left front brake failure and brake overheating issue yesterday evening including a small fire. Luckily it happened less than a mile from the campground and was and was able to extinguish it and cool it off and limp into the campground.

Glad you are safe and were able to put the fire out.

Please keep us posted on how Workhorse and the serice center handle the issue.  I posted my experience in a different thread so I will not repeat my comments here.  I will say that Workhorse did take care of the towing and service costs.  They will have you do a 'drivability test' before they will authorize a tow.  As for me, with a fire around the brakes, I would insist on Workhorse paying for a tow.

Check the sticky at the top of the Motorhome Board for the Workhorse information site.  That is the latest information we have from Workhorse about the brake issue.  We hear that the production is now starting for the Bosch replacement calipers, and the rumor is (again) that the date of the official recall could be around Fall this year.

Ok thanks.  Just getting a bit frustrated with the delays - as I am sure the thousands of other affected Workhorse owners are....

RetiredLE said:
Ok thanks.  Just getting a bit frustrated with the delays - as I am sure the thousands of other affected Workhorse owners are....

RetiredLE:  you are correct about the thousands of owners.....and Mark's advice to check the Brake Recall Resource Center on workhorse.com is about all we can do while we wait.  :(

We are told that all the affected owners WILL receive another letter from Workhorse once the parts are available and the actual recall is launched.  Then we can make an appointment with the ASC of our choice and get this issue resolved. Ed

We had a total brake failure on our W-22. Fortunately nobody was hurt. We had to be towed to a Work Horse dealer and got them inspected and repaired. We picked it up yesterday and it runs great now. It was about $1500, but covered under the recall. They put back the same design rotors as the new ones are not ready. I talked with them today about the refund of the towing bill as this seems only fair. When the new parts are designed and made, I will be getting this installed.

Back
Top Bottom