W-20/W-22 Workhorse Chassis Brake Problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As someone who has been banned from that other place ...simply for asking about the "Ambasssador"s payment arrangements w/WH...repeatedly.. I want to say this place seems much nicer!!  Not only was I banned my  entire IP adress was banned so I can no longer even look at the site ...they take their WH's too seriously over there ..  I see the "ambassador" has recently signed on here also ..wonder why?

horatio, the new owner and "hitchhiker" are banning anyone who speaks out about their sponsors and ambassadors over there....also about anything about the "new management" there.  This apparently is their new policy and has nothing to do with their TOS.  You might recognize my name....it won't be over "there" ever again.  ;) The sponsorship of various companies seem to cloud their judgement and introduce alot of bias.  Don't worry about the ambassador signing in over here, as I seriously doubt he will take an active role over here, or we ever hear from him again here at RVForum.net  You should remember, that whatever he has said in the past, that is HIS opinion, and not Workhorse's opinion.

You are absolutly CORRECT in your statement about being nicer here!  I LOVE THIS PLACE, and WELCOME!   ;D   ;D   ;D

John, it might do you good to go back and read about where Workhorse told "over 100 Workhorse chassis attendees" at the Fall Workhorse Rally, that "there is a problem with the calipers, and Bosch and Workhorse will have a fix anywhere from 2 days to a month".

There definately is something the matter with the 2003-2005 year model calipers, and we are waiting patiently for Workhorse, the NTSB and Bosch to come out with something.....hopefully soon.

I agree there seems to be a problem.. The problem I suspect is that the tolerance on the pins was a bit Tight (That is either the pin is too big around or the hole too small) the logical fix is either a pin that's a couple mills smaller or a caliper a couple bigger or perhaps a different alloy (different coefficient of expansion)

However I suspect RUST, which is caused by letting the thing sit in the rain waiting for a body to put on it, is also a key factor

What I do NOT understand.. Is what's taking them so long fixing it.

FrontrangeRVer

I do recognize your name  ..I am seeing a lot of the folks from there migrate to here ...serves them right..  I do not have a dog in this hunt ..I have a 09 Itasca Sunstar on the Ford chassis...I will however repeat the advice that got deleted on the other forum...If it were me I would run to the nearest lawyer and sue the pants off all of them ..It sometimes takes such an action to bring about a resolution ...I am quite sure there are many capable lawyers out there that would love to initiate a Class Action lawsuit against WH or whoever ...I bet you would get a response from them  quickly if you did that !!!!

I see quite a few familiar names over here.

I have a set of calipers that were replaced back in November. Just this weekend I tried to remove the pistons from the caliper bore. I couldn't budge them even with a pry bar. Tonight I used my air compressor (125psi) to blow them out. That worked. It blew one out so I was going to reinstall it, clamp it and blow the other one out. I couldn't slip it in the bore. With the seal removed the piston would slide in easily. With the seal in, the piston wasn't going back in. This makes me wander if the rubber they used for the seal is reacting with the brake fluid. I don't know if the extream heat did this do the seals or the brake fluid.

Just some observations to share with all

horatio54 said:
FrontrangeRVer

I do recognize your name  ..I am seeing a lot of the folks from there migrate to here ...serves them right..  I do not have a dog in this hunt ..I have a 09 Itasca Sunstar on the Ford chassis...I will however repeat the advice that got deleted on the other forum...If it were me I would run to the nearest lawyer and sue the pants off all of them ..It sometimes takes such an action to bring about a resolution ...I am quite sure there are many capable lawyers out there that would love to initiate a Class Action lawsuit against WH or whoever ...I bet you would get a response from them  quickly if you did that !!!!

Pardon me for jumping in but sueing involves lawyers and in such cases the only ones that really come out ahead are the lawyers.  Why not start a campaign to complain to the feds you would likely get more accomplished I think.

Ron

I respectfully disagree ...complaining to the "Feds" has gotten the affected folks no answers...I have nothing but respect for lawyers and the job they do ...I know it is fashionable to bash them with jokes and all, but in this instance I think it would only take one or two affected people bringing suit .. to bring some closure to this issue ...  and no I am not an attorney but I have spent the last 25 years working closely with them ...(and I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express !!!)

I guess everybody has there own opinion. As I recall I have meet two three Lawyers in my life that I felt I could trust.  Ya I have stayed at the HIE too.

Brake-less, thanks for posting here and WELCOME!  I plan on changing my brake fluid in the Spring and also having my caliper pins inspected.  Workhorse has apparently washed their hands of any of this.

I've invited RickandCheryl over here, and look forward to hearing his actions with Workhorse about this very important brake issue that some year models are having.

Well... Under the terms of many "Consumer Protection Acts" unless there is an expressed factory warranty it is the SELLER that is responsible.. 

I got my Damon from General RV

So depending on if General RV is an "Authorized dealer" it could be argued my seller is either Damon, or General RV

NOT workhorse

But, at the moment, it does not appear I have a brake problem.

FrontrangeRVer said:
horatio, the new owner and "hitchhiker" are banning anyone who speaks out about their sponsors and ambassadors over there....also about anything about the "new management" there.

That's an understatement! I've been stoned to death many time over there; virtually anything I say in a brake thread brings hostility, openly in the forum or by way of PM's. Sure, I've probably taken too strong a stance against Workhorse and their lack of involvement in trying to resolve the problems, but then, it's me and my family in that MH and our safety should always be first.

Even yesterday, two more brake threads were closed; there is one open regarding how HAPPY people are with the brakes, so the moderators deem that one worthy to stay open... as long as it doesn't go 'off thread'. I.E. - no one 'complains' about their brakes. That forum is proof that the emperor has no clothes...

horatio54 said:
As someone who has been banned from that other place ...simply for asking about the "Ambasssador"s payment arrangements w/WH...repeatedly.. I want to say this place seems much nicer!!  Not only was I banned my  entire IP adress was banned so I can no longer even look at the site ...they take their WH's too seriously over there ..  I see the "ambassador" has recently signed on here also ..wonder why?
Really? What's his screen name here? That would kind of surprise me; I found a specific name that I was thinking but it's not the same person...

Richard 34A said:
Really? What's his screen name here?

I sure hope his pro-Workhorse-at-all-costs rhetoric won't be accepted here; for example, I'm not interested in his lengthy 2009 product report on diesels... that he posted in the middle of a 'brake thread'. Talk about 'off-topic'. Unless he's a paying sponsor, or it's posted in a proper thread, that is...

I believe if you go to the second page of the Winnebago forum you will find our slightly altered "expert"

can we actually post about the workhorse brake problem here?  Boy would that be a change. Which  irv2 ambassador uses this site?  I've had 3 failures and have done everything I know  to do.  Maybe we can get some ideas here because on the other site all we got was its not a workhorse problem.

Guys - I realize there are some strong feelings about 1) a long-standing brake problem, 2) a particular factory representative, and 3) the other place many of us are refugees from, but let's kindly leave personalities out of discussions and avoid disparaging other forums or businesses.

We're all here to solve problems, learn, socialize, and have fun in the process, so let's please keep things focused.

Last November I had both front brakes replaced (callipers, pads, wheel seals, wheel speed sensors and axle seals) I requested that they return my old parts. I just recently removed the pistons from the callipers. I had to blow the pistons out of the bore with an air compressor. Below are some notes I had taken:

The rubber seal was so tight I couldn't remove or put the piston back in the bore. With the seal removed the piston slid freely. I don't know if the damaged seal was due to extream heat or maybe the brake fluid caused the seal to expand. Possibly the wrong type of rubber for this application. Anyway I can certainly understand why the brakes locked up. I used my air compressor to pop the pistons out. The cylinder bore was smooth and appears to be undamaged. It really seems to me like the seal had a death grip on the piston.

The piston is very light in weight. There may be some kind of alloy inside but you can't see it. If there is an alloy core it's completely covered with this resin. Tapping it with a screw driver sounds almost like plastic. There is some corrosion around the top of the piston. I can't tell if it's from the top rim of the piston or dirt that got in after the dust seal dicintegrated. I did clean the first piston that I pulled out and it was still very hard to put back in the bore with the seal installed. It had to be pressed in with a c-clamp. Again, without the seal installed, the piston slid in very easy. It even had a little wiggle room. I don't believe the piston diameter has changed at all due to moisture or heat. My attention is really leaning toward the seal.

Just thought I would come over here and see how the weather is. Am about to get run off the "other " site over brake issues. Over there you can't say anything negative about Workhorse or they throw you off. Hope it's better here. Rick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom