W-20/W-22 Workhorse Chassis Brake Problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John Canfield said:
n4eow de wb5tht - welcome to the forums!

John, did you crack open a bottle of wine before this post, or are these names of new members you thought posted in this thread?    ;D

Just kidding with you of course....but I couldn't find these members.  :eek:

To the OP:

In 2004 or 2005 there was a recall on the instrument panel that fixed a communication issue between the IP and the ABS brake system or perhaps concerning communication between the ECM, IP and the ABS system.

I don't know if your problem is related to this or not, but you might want to see if the recall (re-flashing the memory) for the IP was performed. You can go the Workhorse site and enter your VIN number to see if it has been done or not.

John Canfield said:
n4eow de wb5tht - welcome to the forums!

Voyage1 said:
John, did you crack open a bottle of wine before this post, or are these names of new members you thought posted in this thread?    ;D

Just kidding with you of course....but I couldn't find these members.  :eek:

Mark - you had me going for a minute  :p - his first post was #58 above.  (Sundowners start at 1600 local - I made the post before libations.)

Additional info from another forum on the reported brake problems on certain year WorkHorse chassis.

If you're interested in whats been happening with the NHTSA investigation they've added alot of documentation to the ODI Resume for EA07016. Here's the URL for their search field.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/defectsearch.cfm
Sorry but you'll have to copy and paste the address.
Type in EA07016 in the search field to bring up the ODI resume. At the bottom of the "Summary" click on "Document Search". 7 new documents were recently added which makes for some interesting reading.

The PDF's are streaming to my HD as I type this.. The "Top" document was interesting in two ways.

1: As I mentioned Workhorse added a ZERK, I was not sure when they did it (May 2004) and my rig was made in Aug 2004, I"ve not had a problem

BOSCH is apparently named as the supplier of the problem callipers  (I was not sure if it was BOSCH or Arvin-Meritor.. NOTE. I"ve visited that plant, or rather a conference room within the facility, nothing to do with the company save Security office where i had to register in order to visit)

JC2, thanks for the post. 

Hopefully we hear something soon from Workhorse and the NHTSA!  I think we are maybe days away from the announcement. :-\

John, if you have been following the investigation by the NHTSA, there is nothing new in the reports that haven't been reported elsewhere.   ;)  It's just nice to read them and know that they are investigating this major problem by Bosch.

And yes, Bosch is the supplier for the calipers, as all the Workhorse Chassis have these calipers, including the W-18 and W-24 (which are not under this investigation.)  We all know that Workhorse has issued a recall several years ago about the grease zerk, and apparently that is not the solution to the problem. 

EDIT:  John, after reading your post on another forum, I am surprised to find out you don't know what kind of chassis you own.  I thought I would let you know that you most likely own a W-22 Chassis.   ;)  You can find the "born on" date  under your hood near the Master Cylinder on a yellow Workhorse sticker.  That is the date your chassis was built, not when Damon built the box on it.  Also, if you go to Workhorse.com, you can sign in for all your chassis information, the date you bought it, the recalls requested and performed by Workhorse, the axle ratings and what type of box is on your chassis, etc and much more information.   :)

Don't be surprised if your "chassis" year model falls under the recall for the Bosch calipers, when and if there is a recall.   :-\

I was like 99% sure it is a W-22, today I'm 100% sure it's a W-22

Workhorse did change suppliers at some Point

Now, do you know an easy way to tell BOSCH brakes from Arvin-Meritor?  (I have not crawled under to see if it's stamped on the caliper)

Carl and Judy
Winnebago Adventurer 2004,  35500 miles
Workhorse Chassis 2003 - Original owner bought 12/6/2003 - with 1550 miles, we purchased Feb 2005, with 6100 miles
35 Feet

Feb 18 2009 we drove from Peace River Wachula to Orlando - distance of approx 70 miles.  Flat land.  Very few lights - no hard stops. limited traffic, flat land.  When we arrived at Orlando we smelled something like burned plastic/rubber when exiting coach by passenger side rear wheel.  None of the hub caps were hot to touch.  When we returned to coach and started up, the ABS light came on and remained on while we drove 1/2 mile to our site.  During the next 2 weeks we turned on the ignition many times and ABS light would not go off.    We were advised we could drive the coach to Lazydays about 60 miles from park.  We did so on Feb 15  for Feb 16 appt.  The ABS light remained on the entire trip.  However when our Tech Advisor started up the coach on 2/16 - the ABS light went off nornally.      The diagnostics showed all 4 ABS lights gone, the 4 Rotors were scorched, pitted and could not be turned; calipers showed signs of high heat. 

Carl and Judy, your Workhorse year model is smack dab right in the middle of the year model that the NHTSA is investigating.  Please report this (online, link given earlier in this thread) to the NHTSA, as every notification that we give them will help them with their findings!

::)
What would be a reasonable amount of time (hours)  to repair/replace brake calipers, rotors, pads, fluid, sensors for W22 Workhorse Chassis.  I am unable to determine what price range per hour I should expect to pay.  I am aware of difference in prices per hour but I am looking for amount of time involved.

Thanks

John In Detroit said:
I was like 99% sure it is a W-22, today I'm 100% sure it's a W-22

Workhorse did change suppliers at some Point

Now, do you know an easy way to tell BOSCH brakes from Arvin-Meritor?  (I have not crawled under to see if it's stamped on the caliper)
  Are you guys sure about the arvin-meritor  brake parts. I've been involved in this workhorse brake issue from the beginning and have never heard of that mfg for brake parts on the w22/w20 chassis. Where can I read  or get info on it?

Winnie35, I also followed and contributed (past tense on "that" forum  ::) ) to all the Workhorse Brake Problem threads, and to my knowledge, only Bosch calipers were installed on the W-20/W-22 Workhorse Chassis.

Voyage1 said:
Winnie35, I also followed and contributed (past tense on "that" forum  ::) ) to all the Workhorse Brake Problem threads, and to my knowledge, only Bosch calipers were installed on the W-20/W-22 Workhorse Chassis.
  Thats what I thought. I wonder where this other info is coming from?

winnie35 said:
   Are you guys sure about the arvin-meritor  brake parts. I've been involved in this workhorse brake issue from the beginning and have never heard of that mfg for brake parts on the w22/w20 chassis. Where can I read  or get info on it?

N o, I'm not, I do know that they make brakes and I've talked about them with Workorse national service manager.

However I'm a bit hazy on the context

I'll know more when we get the kind of weather that lets me take a look under the rig.

I was busy with other stuff today

Carl and Judy Workhorse Brake Problems

We did report problems to NHTSA and have received confirmation that it was received.

Sure wouldn't hurt for everybody experiencing these problems to each make a report since it might just raise the importance a notch or two.

Back
Top Bottom