Adobe Reader issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buddy Tott

I hope someone can give me a solution...

Recently my PC has stopped opening anything in a PDF format provided by the installed Adobe Reader 7.0 (latest version).  I tried to remove the program thinking I could re-install it but my system gave me an error window basically stating "...no file path was found".  The Adobe Reader is attached to and appears to be opening with another file (Pro-Venture Business cards) - which may have corrupted the file path .  However,  though that program is accessible it is not listed as being installed and therefore removeable.  My thought was to remove that also, re-install the Adobe Reader and then install the Pro-Venture program.  I'm kinda stuck and it sucks!

Anyone any ideas?  Thanks (please no technical terms - I'm only one step above techno-moron). ???

BT

This works for me in many cases. Perhaps there is a trial period.    http://www.torrentreactor.net/torrents/1905933/Advanced-Uninstaller-Pro-2008-FULL

Adobe Reader 9 is the latest version.  You can download that from the Adobe web site and install it and it should recapture the association for PDF files.  I prefer Foxit, a free PDF reader that is much faster than Adobe and has fewer security holes.  If you want to stay with Adobe Reader 7, then check the Preferences for a checkbox to reset the file association for PDF files to AR.

Ned said:
I prefer Foxit, a free PDF reader that is much faster than Adobe and has fewer security holes.
My son showed me the Foxit. I switched from Adobe Reader to Foxit, because Foxit needs less memory than the Adobe Reader. It is slim and it is fast - as Ned said.

Ned
Does Foxit conflict with Adobe?  Should AR be removed completely before Foxit is installed?    I tried to download the newer AR (9) version, thinking that might cure the problem but I received a similar (fatal) error message stating no path could be found and it would not download.

BT

Foxit can coexist with Adobe Reader, I have both, but have Foxit set as the default reader for PDF files.  However, if you have Foxit, there is no good reason to keep Adobe Reader.

A thought.. If the problem is when you are trying to open a file on your computer......

If you have a PDF on your hard drive... Right click and see if "OPEN WITH" is an option

If it is.. Choose it then the "Choose program" option.

Now check the "Always use this program" box

Now chose Adobe Reader from the list or... if necessary, browse for it.

If the problem is files opening from within firefox

Tools,  Options,  Applications...

Then in the search box put PDF

Then on the ACTIONS drop down for the PDF entery change it to "Always ask" or to Adobe Acrobat Reader

Thanks Guys for all your help.

The problem occurs when I get certain, but not all, emails with a file or attachment in PDF format or when an internet site has a link to something which is also in PDF.    When I click on or open the link, my screen goes to a  PDF file and blank screen then freezes without providing the actual information.    The other issue is that my PC will not allow me to uninstall Acrobat.  When I try, the uninstallation process starts, runs to about 45% then quits with a error message, stating file path not found.

BT

Buddy, can you open PDF files locally with Adobe Reader (not from email or the browser)?

Chet, I use a program called PDF-XChange Pro from Tracker Software.  It installs a PDF printer as well as a set of tools for creating and manipulating PDF files.  It doesn't include an editor, but there is an editor addon for Foxit (not free however).  PDF-XChange creates the most compact PDF files I've found and does support compression.

It sounds to me like the uninstall problem may be a corrupt registry entry that the uninstall process is stumbling over (an incorrect file path). It might also be the cause of the other problem.  Here is a web page with some suggestions about fixing uninstall problems with Adobe Acrobat. The error message in the article is different, but the steps are pretty generic.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=330497&sliceId=2

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-168-impossible-to-uninstall-or-to-update-adobe-acrobat-reader

Sometimes a reinstall will allow a subsequent uninstall to work by cleaning up the registry entries.  If you have the original installation file, that's the easiest method to try before getting into more complicated removal routines.  The Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is a very powerful program and care must be taken not to delete the wrong thing inadvertently.

Looks like a partial uninstall corruppted your Acrobat registery entries

there are some decent programs out there like CCleaner that MIGHT fix it (they tend to remove orphan registery entries) and there are some alternate "uninistallers" as well

Once they do their "magic" you may be able to do a re-install of Acro-read.

Ned...

I can access the one PDF file I have, locally (off line) - but nothing on-line.  I have tried a Registry cleaner (RegFix),  without success.  I have also tried a re-install of both the original Adobe program and the updated version ((9.0) - still no luck.  Whatever I do seems to get hung up on the file path.  I agree it seems to be corrupted.    I think I might try the Windows Installer Cleanup, however I am reluctant because you never know what the corrupted file(s) may be shared with.  Is CCleaner a Registry clean-up program? 

Thanks for all your insight and info.

BT

So Adobe Reader works on local files.  Can you post a screen shot of the error message you get when you try to install or uninstall?

CCleaner can clean up some registry problems but not all.  At this point I would try the Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility on Adobe Reader and also Pro-Venture Business cards, but I'd still like to see the actual error message.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom