PSK and Automated Awning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AA4WP

Hello, all:

I am the proud owner of a 04 Journey.  I have installed a Yaesu DX100 in the driver's compartment, and I use it from time to time to monitor CB channel 19 (never talk there) and occasionally read the mail on 40 and 20.  I use a dual band vhf/uhf for repeater operation if I am in a place long enough to make it interesting.

I have engaged in a few QSO's on 20 using a hustler whip; I even set up a simple dipole to use for CW and PSK.  All were satisfactory (I am easy to please!) except for the fact that when I went key down on PSK, the awning would extend.  I wonder if any of you all have had that experience before, and if so, what did you do to keep that from happening?

Wendell (73)

Wendell,

My first approach is to gain access to all the leads on the control box and put a 0.01 ufd capacitor to ground on all of them.  Ferrite beads could also be used but I start with the cheapest thing and go from there.

I am about to start on the same path this spring when I install my Kenwood TS 570S in the MH laong with a Shakespeare 3 to 30 Mhz antenna on the roof.  Not looking forward to the RFI induced problems.

Jim - AC7PO

Wendell and Jim:

And they accuse aviation of overdosing on acronyms. ;D ;D

That is a new one.. I run a Kenwood TS-2000 on PSK and it has never extended my awning on me, not once.. I try to keep it BELOW 1/2 power (50 watts) when running PSK since it's an "Always on" mode and is rather hard on the finals if you run 'em up.

What awning do you have, carefree or A&E or some other brand.  and what model, where is the wind sensor.  That kind of thing

Oh, and where is the indoor control box for the awning,  and where is your hustler whip?

The hustler antenna is mounted to a aluminum bar attached to the ladder on the rear of the RV.  Also have a 144 & 440 duobander up there all the time; I only put the hustler on when PARKED. 

I hope to not ever forget it before I leave.

Wendell

PS: sorry about the long delay; it matches my short memory.

I run PSK (Phase Shift Keying for those who don't know, it is one of the many ways computers chat with each other) using a Kenwood TS-2000, have an A&E Weatherpro and never had that issue.. (Or I should say I ran PSK and will again when I get the laptop back out of the shop)  I usually limit power out to around 30-40 watts tops. (Always under 50)

That's about the only consideration.. Got some nice contacts.

Thinkpad to home made interface to TS-2000 to KAT-1 (Kenwood Auto Tuner) to 100' (normally) of stranded copper wire  That's the station

Back
Top Bottom