Lifespan expectation of RV engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thenosyone

Hi,

Can somebody tell me what the life expectation is for "well maintained"  gas RV engines  like  Ford,  Workhorse, etc....
Also for a  Ford  F150    5.4 liter under heavy load... towing a 8000 lbs Trailer or 5th wheel...

What would be the expected fuel consumption?

Thanks for taking the time

Those are tough questions as there are two  or three factors that affect engine life which are hard to calculate

1: Driver: Drive it "Hard" and it dies faster, Drive it gentle and it lives longer

2: Time, Time takes it's toll... Even on awell maintained engine

3: How much repair are you willing to consider before replacement

4: Work load

5: Brand of oil (Believe it or not, some are simply better)

That said.... The bigger truck engines can last hundreds of thousands of miles, Many hundreds of thousands of miles with proper maintance

Fuel consumption. five to ten MPG for my rig, Workhorse (Class A with towed) 26,000 lbs hooked and loaded

Lighter load, better millage, And it goes up after the first few thousand miles (i'm still running on factory oil)

AC and electrical load will affect millage.  I like to drive with lights on.

Thanks John for the quick reply

John In Detroit said:
Those are tough questions as there are two? or three factors that affect engine life which are hard to calculate

3: How much repair are you willing to consider before replacement
Lifespan before major overhaul...  grinding cylinders...  pistonrings...

4: Work load
The wife has a heavy foot... but climbing uphill, the engine will has to give 100% of his power... all the way,  I suppose?

5: Brand of oil (Believe it or not, some are simply better)
Only the best is good enough... 

That said.... The bigger truck engines can last hundreds of thousands of miles, Many hundreds of thousands of miles with proper maintenance
Are we talking here gas or diesel?      Overhere (Europe) we only have diesel trucks. 

Lighter load, better millage, And it goes up after the first few thousand miles (i'm still running on factory oil)
Just nosy on this one... how long do you have to stay on this oil...  Specially to run the engine in?

GM says their current "big block" 8.1L gas engine (used in the Workhorse gas chassis) is a 200,000 mile engine, meaning 200K until a major engine overhaul.  I suspect Ford would claim similar life for their gas V10, though I have never seen it written.  All you should need to get that lifespan should be a good quality oil and filtering or changing it to maintain its cleanliness and lubricity.  And an effective cooling system.

You are more likely to need a transmission overhaul before you need an engine overhaul.

RV Roamer said:
You are more likely to need a transmission overhaul before you need an engine overhaul.

Thanks Gary 
Lubricating and cooling are not new to me
What is the problem with the automatic transmission? why are they sooner wearied out?  Is it pricey to rebuilt them?
Overhere 90 % of cars and I think nearly all trucks shift manual, we hardly ever hear, somethings go wrong with a (manual) transmision.
Do you known anything on the Ford 5.4 under heavy load?
Thanks

What is the problem with the automatic transmission? why are they sooner wearied out?  Is it pricey to rebuilt them?

An automatic transmission is a complicated beast, subject to huge and sudden changes in torque and horsepower under heavy load. Heat is their #1 enemy and America's summer temperatures, high speed highways and numerous hill climbs conspire to make life difficult for an automatic.  Commercial grade transmissions like the Allison 6 speed models hold up better than lighter duty models in motorhome applications, but I would expect that any new Allison automatic tranny model would give you 100,000 - 150,000 miles of flawless service without any repairs at all. 200,000 is certainly possible, but I wouldn't count on it.  Again, proper maintenance is key and use of full synthetic hydraulic fluids, changed per schedule, will insure a long life.

Rebuilding is a bit pricey, perhaps ranging from $750-$2500, depending on transmission make and model and local prices where the work is done.  I've never seen a repair bill for a big tranny like the Allison 3000MH 6-speed, but maybe someone who has experienced it  :mad: could offer some numbers.

AC and electrical load will affect millage.? ?I like to drive with lights on.
Oh, come on now.? ?What percentage of your engine's output power do you think those twin 50 watt headlights consume?? ?Hint: 1 horsepower = 745 watts. ;)

Lou said:
Oh, come on now.? ?What percentage of your engine's output power do you think those twin 50 watt headlights consume?? ?Hint: 1 horsepower = 745 watts. ;)

HiI Lou,

Did you see the private email message I sent you a few days ago?? It has nothing to do with horsepower or headlights.  I have a question on another topic.

Betty Brewer

Back
Top Bottom