Winter trips in your "B"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcampbell

Any winter trips planned in your Vans?  I will be driving from Upstate NY to Mrytle Beach to play some golf and take some walks on the beach in January.  I have never been to Myrtle Beach in January so if anyone has been there give me a few hints for making this a successful trip. I have done some insulating of my Vista Cruiser with extra insulation on all the windows for more comfortable sleeping.

I can see that his thread is rather old ... but it is relevant for me now. I purchased my ERA in November 2011. I planned and have been travelling all winter. Mind you this winter has been milder than most. Nonetheless, I have had temperatures as low as 23? F some nights. Other than the normal winterizing of the plumbing system I haven't done anything special at this time. I have noticed that a lot of cold air is coming from the rear door and under the coach area. I suppose some temporary insulation of some kind (even an old blanket) would help.

I find that the MCR roller blinds act as a good insulator for the windows. Nothing else used.

Genrally speaking I was fine with the furnace running. When I had shore power I ran a small ceramic heater and that was all I needed. Well ... not all. Several good, warm blankets and comforters helped keep me as snug as a bug in a rug.  ;D In fact I got so warm on occasion that I had to turn off the furnace. Mind you ... when I had to get up in the morning i sure wish I had a remote control to turn the furnace back on. Damn it got cold in there overnight on several occasions.

I only had one occasion when the propane furnace didn't work. The regulator must have got frozen the one night. After it thawed out that first time ... I never had the problem again.

Anyone else with a Mercedes/Sprinter chassis or any other Class B doing some winter travelling and have some tips or tricks??

A couple of years ago, we spent an 18 degree night at Bryce Canyon in Utah. The park asked everyone to disconnect the water for the night. We ran our furnace/heater. No problems. We don't put water in our hot water heater or fresh water tank. We carry bottled water and hook up to water when we can. And we dump frequently. During the winter, we put anti-freeze in the grey and black tanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom