CONVERTER CHARGER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just ordered the PD9260 with the charge wizard to replace the Parallax 7445 that came stock with my Sightseer.  I am hoping the multi-stage charging and good battery maintenance will help me squeeze a couple extra years out of the stock RV/Marine Deep Cycle batteries that came with the coach.  If/when they do need to be replaced, I know I can upgrade to a nice set of AGMs.

One question I have, in my 2009 Sightseer, do I have the Trik-L charger?  If so, will replacing the stock Parallax effect this? 

Thanks,
Christian

John In Detroit said:
Do you have a trick-l-charger.. I have no clue

Will replacing the parallex with a 9260 affect one if you do have one... Not in the slightest

Thats all I needed to hear... I won't worry about it! :D

Thanks,
Christian

I unplug the Battery Tender when I am driving the MH, not for fear of the alternator hurting it but am concerned that it might vibrate out to the AC Receptacle.
A plastic wire tie wrapped around the Tender and outlet box will solve that problem.

I took "John in Detroit"'s advise on another forum, and changed our my single stage charging Parallax converter (junk!) to a PD 9245 3 stage charger/converter with a Charge Wizard and installed the remote pendant so you can see what stage the charger is in.  This is one of the best improvements I have done to my motorhome (and my deep cycle batteries).

I use the Battery Minder Plus to charge my chassis battery, as the converter only charges the Coach batteries.  I like the Battery Minder Plus due to it having a true 3-stage maintainer in addition to the Anti Sulphate mode it automatically goes in to occasionally.

I have also heard good things about the Trik-L-Start for the chassis batteries, which Winnebago started installing as an OEM product in the 2007 model years.

FrontrangeRVer said:
I took "John in Detroit"'s advise on another forum,... ...  This is one of the best improvements I have done to my motorhome (and my deep cycle batteries).

Thank you for letting me know you liked my suggestion :)

Far too many are quick to point out that my list of recommended converters is far from complete (Heck, I point it out myself)
I have a PD 9180 with wizard on my rig.. Works great.

I swapped out the stock Parallax 7445 in our Sightseer today with a Progressive Dynamics 9260.    Took about 20 minutes start to finish...total cake job.  I used the factory location, which is under a drawer under the oven.  The hardest thing was getting to the mounting screws behind the original unit.

Mounted the charge wizard next to the oven door, no clearance problems. 

Good choice, save on the 9260 that thing you mounted next to the oven door is called a dongle.  Charge wizard is internal to the unit. On the 9160 that same disk is the charge wizard itself.. I know, easy to mistake, and techincally.. Makes absolutly NO difference.

Enjoy, you have a very good converter there,  Though I refuse to name any "BEST" cause there are a bunch that all fit that title

That's one of 'em

John In Detroit said:
Good choice, save on the 9260 that thing you mounted next to the oven door is called a dongle.  Charge wizard is internal to the unit. On the 9160 that same disk is the charge wizard itself.. I know, easy to mistake, and techincally.. Makes absolutly NO difference.

Enjoy, you have a very good converter there,  Though I refuse to name any "BEST" cause there are a bunch that all fit that title

That's one of 'em

Quick question...

After installation, I was testing the supply voltage coming of the 9260 and measured 14.2 volts at the output terminals (boost charge mode).  The coach 12 volt receptacles in the dinette, bedroom and lounge all measured right at 14.05 volts.  When I measured across the battery terminals however, it only measured 13.6 volts? 

Is this a function of the batteries taking the charge or should I be concerned about voltage drop between the charger and the batteries?  If it matters, the batteries were not fully charged at the time of the install...they measured 12.3 volts at the terminals prior to the installation with a load.  The distance is about 5 feet from the internal charger to the external battery compartment.

Without knowing cable lengths and cable sizes between converter, battery and distribution panel, I'd say that's normal operation.  Wait until the batteries are fully charged, rested and re-measure.  You'll most likely see a voltage drop in the other direction. JMHO

The real question is how many amps are going to the batteries?  And do you want a higher charging rate than that?   If so, then you should upgrade the size of the wiring connecting the converter and battery.

John From Detroit said:
Ok, looked up the Parallex.. Seems it comes in two versions  The "T" version is a 2 step charger (or two stage) I'm not sure if the 2nd stage is trigured by time (Bad) or voltage (Better)

Best advice is to visit http://www.bestconverters.com

Scroll down a bit and a frame titled "Extra Info" should appear on the left

Pick a brand of converter (I see I'm not the only one who likes Xantrex and Progressive dynamics here) and download the proper upgrade PDF from that site.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I looked around that site but found nothing on these type products, am I dumb?

Is there a new URL?

[edit]fixed quote[/edit]

bukzin said:
I looked around that site but found nothing on these type products, am I dumb?

Is there a new URL?
[edit]fixed quote[/edit]

It is NOT  www.bestconverters.com  It is www.bestconverter.com

Took me a bit to figure it out as well.

Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back