Colorado to Disney World and back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramcneal

We took a little vacation to Disney World in early December. We left on the 4th of December and returned on the 16th.

Word to the wise. If it's snowing on the day of departure, climb back into bed, pull the covers up and hope for better weather. In the 10+ years that I've been towing a trailer I had never pulled our 30 ft. trailer in the snow. Everything started out reasonable, I took my time and left plenty of room between my truck and the car in front. Traffic started to thin out once we got east of Denver and that's when trouble started. Those of you old enough might remember the ticket books that you used to get in Disneyland. The best rides were the E ticket ones. Well, I had an F ticket ride about an hour east of Denver. There I am minding my own business running between 60 and 65 dealing and dealing with the wind gusts that were coming from the north. All of a sudden as I cross over a bridge my trucks rear tires lost traction and I was hit with a side gust. My truck decided it wanted to go Northeast on a East/West road and the trailer felt it should go Southeast. All I can say is thank heavens for an empty road and my being a hooligan when I was a teenager. Gumball Rally is my favorite movie, Dukes of Hazard was the best show and I tried to drive like those folks. Well, I counter steered while backing off the throttle and my truck came around, over corrected just once and got the vehicle under control. By then I was doing only 45MPH and put the truck in four wheel drive. My wife was white as a ghost and requested that we stop in Limon for the night. No, make that demanded that we stop. I didn't argue too much.

The rest of the trip to Florida was pretty uneventful, though we did miss the turn in St. Louis to keep us on I-70. Kind of strange having to turn off of I-70 just to stay on I-70. We ended up on I-55 going south until I spotted an off ramp with a corresponding on ramp in the other direction. The cool thing about this slight detour was that the off ramp that I choose dropped us off right in front of the old Budweiser Brewer plant. That's a neat old building.

Anybody who's got an RV should take a trip to Disney World and stay in the Ft. Wilderness campgrounds. I couldn't believe just how inexpensive it was to stay there. We paid just over $400 for the 6 nights which means the per night stay was around $70. Since we often pay around $50/night at KOA's and such the price at Ft. Wilderness is very reasonable. I wasn't watching the cost because I was there to have fun and I can quite often be a tightwad. This time I said to hell with it and had a blast. To give you a couple of examples of what a special place Ft. Wilderness is I list the following:
(1) While backing in my trailer I hit one of the small lights that are used to light up the road in the campground. It was repaired the next morning before I had a chance to tell anyone.
(2) There are pine needles on the ground in between the RV pads. Trouble is there were no pine trees in our section of the campground.
(3) Disney sweeps all of the roads. Wednesday morning before we headed into the park there was a street sweeper that came along and clean things up. The only thing it was removing was some leaves that had fallen from the trees.
(4) One morning I noticed the shower curtain was starting to mildew. A brand new curtain was in place the next morning.
Only Disney would worry about and care enough to watch these details.

The way home we took the southern route hoping to avoid any weather. No such luck. In Oklahoma the winds were so bad I could only go 55MPH. Not because my truck would tow any faster. It was just plain dangerous considering how much my truck and trailer were being moved around. Another indication of how bad the wind was could be seen in my fuel economy. On most tanks I was averaging 12MPG (Dodge 2500, Diesel, 6-speed manual). A couple of tanks dipped to around 10MPG. That tank across Oklahoma was reduced to 8MPG. Heck, I averaged 12MPG on a tank where have of the time was spent in four wheel drive at 55MPH. Which brings me to the last part of the trip. We didn't escape the weather in New Mexico. The storm started brewing and we hoped the snow would hold off. No such luck. We made it to Las Vegas, NM and decided to stop since the roads were covered in snow, the plows weren't keeping up, and it was expected to get worse.

All in all we had a great time and plan on going to Florida again. Next time I'm going to have a long conversation with the man upstairs and see if we can't come to some sort of agreement.  ;D

Fort Wilderness is a neat place to go.  We try to take our daughter, son-in-law, and grand daughter there 3-4 weekends a year.  Here is a website with some good information about it.

Glad you had a safe trip!

KodiakRV said:
Fort Wilderness is a neat place to go.  We try to take our daughter, son-in-law, and grand daughter there 3-4 weekends a year.  Here is a website with some good information about it.

Glad you had a safe trip!

One thing that I would like to add which the article you linked to only hints at. During the Christmas season it is unbelievable the amount of decorations that some people display at their camp sites. I noticed many of these guests had separate small trailers behind their motor homes to hold all of the boxes of displays items. It is truly amazing. The folks who had the site across from ours had their own golf car which they decorated. It had a Mini Mouse skirt around the base and large mouse ears on top. They also the frame of a reindeer attached to the front of the cart. The reindeer and car had plenty of Christmas lights and at night they drove around the park spreading merriment to all.

Ramcneal,
Loved your story.  It brought back many memories of driving in Colorado in the winter.  Every time I think I want to move back there all I need to do is read your post!  ;D
We are headed now to Disney Fort Wilderness campground, due to arrive next Saturday.  By the way you describe it, I know I'm going to love it.  Did you see any of the campground entertainment or did you focus on the parks?
Christine

BritChris said:
We are headed now to Disney Fort Wilderness campground, due to arrive next Saturday.  By the way you describe it, I know I'm going to love it.  Did you see any of the campground entertainment or did you focus on the parks?
Christine

We focused mainly on the parks. We would get to the parks when they opened and leave by late afternoon. We would then cook dinner at our trailer and return to the park for further adventures. One day it rained really hard so we decided on a down day. My wife and daughter were a bit overloaded, so I decided to visit the Kennedy Space Center. I remember staying up late into the evening to watch the landing on the moon as a kid and have been nuts about space ever since. For me, going to see the Saturn V rocket they have on display was almost more fun than visiting Disney World. The weather at the Cape was slightly better than it was at Disney World that day.

You'll definitely enjoy yourself. Disney's bus system is great, but when you just miss a buss it seems like you wait forever. If you're not familiar with the system here's a brief rundown. Within Ft. Wilderness there are several busses that loop through the camp ground. You'll jump on these and ride them to the Outpost in Ft. Wilderness. From the Outpost you'll wait for the buss to whichever park you're going to that day. It's all free and while the drivers could ask to see your key card, none ever did. It seemed in the morning we always walked to the closest bus stop and had a bus waiting to take us to the Outpost. From there is was never more than 10 minutes before a bus arrived to our desired park. It was the afternoon when the waits would occur. At the park you had to wait for the return bus. Once at Ft. Wilderness' Outpost you then waited again for one of the inter campground busses. Several times we didn't feel like waiting for the inter campground bus and just walked. It's not too far, but when you're already tired it seems even longer. I definitely wouldn't attempt to walk with small kids in tow.

ramcneal said:
One thing that I would like to add which the article you linked to only hints at. During the Christmas season it is unbelievable the amount of decorations that some people display at their camp sites...

We were last there before Thanksgiving and one site had a huge display with several large (>4 ft. high) inflatable turkeys and characters as well as several dozen smaller things and about 200 ft of rope lights.  Some folks have more dollars than sense.  They used to limit stays there to 3 weeks or so, but don't any more.  I talked to one guy last January that was going to be there for 3+ months.

Thanks for the tips about the transportation.  We've been to Disney World before but have not stayed at Fort Wilderness.  I have only ever found a nightly rate to stay there and in fact could only get six nights when I booked at the dates I wanted to go.  A three month plus stay would get rather pricey but all the reviews rate it a 10 and if you have a Disney annual pass and are a Disney fiend it might be rather good.  A bit too long for me, I think!

Do they still have boat rides to a couple of the places in addition to the shuttles?  This was part of the transit system within Ft. Wilderness.

Re the entertainment.  We haven't been there for a while but we really enjoyed the show put on by the bears.  Don't recall the name but it was really cute.  Think we also saw other entertainment.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Do they still have boat rides to a couple of the places in addition to the shuttles?  This was part of the transit system within Ft. Wilderness...

Yes, they have two boat options.  One makes a three-stop loop -- Ft. Wilderness Campground, Wilderness Lodge, and the Contemporary Hotel.  The other goes back-and-forth between Ft. Wilderness Campground and the Magic Kingdom.

If you take the boat to the Contemporary Hotel, you can catch the monorail there, go the the Transportation Center, and catch the other monorail to Epcot.

BritChris said:
Thanks for the tips about the transportation.   We've been to Disney World before but have not stayed at Fort Wilderness.   I have only ever found a nightly rate to stay there and in fact could only get six nights when I booked at the dates I wanted to go.   A three month plus stay would get rather pricey...

That's what the long-term stayers have to do -- pay the nightly rate. 

You can book reservations there up to 500 days in advance, IIRC.

ramcneal said:
One thing that I would like to add which the article you linked to only hints at. During the Christmas season it is unbelievable the amount of decorations that some people display at their camp sites. I noticed many of these guests had separate small trailers behind their motor homes to hold all of the boxes of displays items. It is truly amazing. The folks who had the site across from ours had their own golf car which they decorated. It had a Mini Mouse skirt around the base and large mouse ears on top. They also the frame of a reindeer attached to the front of the cart. The reindeer and car had plenty of Christmas lights and at night they drove around the park spreading merriment to all.

We found the same phenomemen at Halloween with  gobs of orange lights, pumpkins, skeletons.  Ft Wilderness even had a contest an awarded  prizes to  campsites most decorated.  Not enough room in my bays to decorate for every season!

Betty

BritChris said:
Thanks for the tips about the transportation.   We've been to Disney World before but have not stayed at Fort Wilderness.   I have only ever found a nightly rate to stay there and in fact could only get six nights when I booked at the dates I wanted to go.   A three month plus stay would get rather pricey but all the reviews rate it a 10 and if you have a Disney annual pass and are a Disney fiend it might be rather good.  A bit too long for me, I think!

One possibility for a long term stay would be to use the Disney Vacation Club system. I was told that the points that would normally get you a one week stay at one of the resorts would translate into a three week stay at Ft. Wilderness. You can also purchase higher priced memberships and receive more points. So, if you wanted to spend some time there annually that would be the way to go I would think.

We did the same trip last Summer from Colorado.  We LOVE Fort Wilderness as you can park your RV and use the transportation internally.

Wish it was closer!

FrontrangeRVer said:
We did the same trip last Summer from Colorado.  We LOVE Fort Wilderness as you can park your RV and use the transportation internally.

Wish it was closer!

I too wish it was closer, but that would mean living in the South. The humidity would be a killer. We plan on returning next December. It's the perfect time of the year since the park isn't as crowded and the temperatures are mild with relatively low humidity. I can't imagine what Florida during the summer is like with the temperature and humidity running a race to 100. Yuck.

ramcneal said:
.... I can't imagine what Florida during the summer is like with the temperature and humidity running a race to 100. Yuck.

It's amazing what you can get used to.  We've been here 35 years...

KodiakRV said:
It's amazing what you can get used to.  We've been here 35 years...

Believe me, I know that. We moved from California 20 years ago to Colorado. Now I don't consider it cold out unless I see the temperatures dip below -10. It's 65 today and I'm sweating. Our temperature swings throughout the year in Colorado are pretty extreme and it's always funny to watch people, myself included. In the fall when the temperature drops down to 60 out come the coats. Yet during the spring, or like is today unseasonable warm, it hits 60 degrees and folks are wearing t-shirts and shorts. Of course, we don't have humidity to deal with and I still to this day remember being colder during a summer game at Candlestick park watching the Giants loose to some other team when I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom