Slow fuel fill solved in late model Freightliner chassis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too have the same problem on my 2006 National Tropi-cal with a 2005 Freightliner XC-R Chassis.  On mine however it is the entire time you are filling the tank..not just the last 20 gallons.  I only have one filler tube on the passenger side.  It literally takes 30 minutes or more to fill the tank, all the while the diesel continues to "burp" back out of the filler tube.  I usually waste a gallon or two on the ground.

Has anything new been determined on this issue?  The same problem is bieng repoted on thr Freightliner chassis owners forum, but noone seems to know how to fix it or if Freightliner will do anything about it.

In our case, I believe the fix was the result of a collaboration between Winnebago and Freightliner.  Since you now own an orphan, Freightliner is your only recourse.  Compounding the problem for you is filler necks are considered part of the 'house' and not the chassis.

Is your slow fill issue being reported on several models like yours?

John,

From what LITTLE I have found it appears that ther are other National models that have had this problem, but not sure of that.  I know it seems to be restricted to 2005 / 2006 units.  My Freightliner chassis was produced in either June or July of 2005.

Kevin,

I too await your answer.  I too have someone at Freightliner working on it and will let you know if I find out anything.  My wife's uncle owns a trucking company and does a lot of business with Freightliner and Friday he put me in touch with the Service Manager he deals with locally.  The fellow is looking into any Freightliner "programs" or recalls and any other avenues that night be available  to resolve the issue.

Jerry
Ride to be free !

OK Here is the answer...well atleast for me. I called Winnie and they said they had no Idea what the problem was, maybe I should call Frieghtliner.. So I did, they took my vin, put me on hold for 5-10min. They came back on and told me to call my local freightliner dealership and give them a number(they gave me) and it would be taken care of. I asked what would be done.(I asked about the filler neck and vent tube size. told him about a fourm I had been on talking about it) He said that my unit would be getting a new fuel tank, and that would take care of the problem. I said "Thank you" and he said "No problem, but don't tell everyone about it" I said"OK wink wink" ;D

Called my local dealership, they ordered the tank, and today I just got it back with the new tank. It has the same size vents 1/2 but they are not on the side by the fill tubes but on top of the tank. I pulled into the local truckstop and for the first time I could use the first click on the nozel(big truck nozel) I was on 1/4tank put 40gal before it clicked off, then reset it on the 2click and finished all but the last 5gals to the top of the neck. so...so far it looks like it worked, and best of all it didn't cost me a dime!!!

did have to clean some grease outta the mh though.. :-\kevin

Kevin,

Sounds like exactly what they should be doing...fixing a problem they know they have.  I will attempt the same in a few days.  Hope it continues to work well for you.  Wish me luck.

Since we last posted, I did find that if I parked at a pump where the RV would lean toward the drivers side, thus making the fuel filler tube higher, then I could fill it on the 2nd click using a car nozzle. Still not great...but NO burping back.    On one occassion when I could not find a place with the right angle to the driveway, I simply put my passenger side leveling jacks down and tilted the RV until my levels showed the RV leaning toward the drivers side.....that worked as well.

Thanks a ton for the input...maybe over the course of time we can ALL get this monkey off of our backs.

06 Winniebago Tour 40FD. The Mechanic said that I was about the 10th or 12th one that he had done so far, he said that They knew that there was a problem with the tanks(freightliner) but they wouldn't do a full scale recall. I saw a freind at the fuel island so I lost track of the time to fill up, will do next time, but I never have been able to use the 1st click on a big truck pump let alone the 2nd.. finally maybe something will go right :D

like I said before, I would just call freightliner customer service, don't even mention the neck part numbers listed at the beginning of this post just give them your vin..hopefully everyone will get the same guy on the phone..sorry I'm still kicking myself for not getting his name..kinda wonder if he fudged the dates or numbers to get me in for the fix? kevin

(I seem to be having alittle trouble seeing my post showing up so dis-regard my Hello? one)

kevin said:
They knew that there was a problem with the tanks(freightliner) but they wouldn't do a full scale recall.

Perhaps some of the Winnie techs on the phone aren't aware of it, but corporately they have to be completely tuned in to the situation - why else would there be an improved fuel filler neck and tank?  It is a 'soft' recall - nothing will be done unless the owner specifically complains about that problem.

;DOK guy's here is the latest news on the New tank I got!!! Took a trip up to kansas for a funeral this last wednesday. On the way back stoped at a Loves for fuel, it was somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4 of a tank so maybe around 50-55 gals  I guess was needed to fill it back up(it has a 90gal tank) anyway, I used the truck fuel Island instead of the car/pick up Island. put it on the first click(could not even use the first click with old tank) and between 2-3min had 48 gal in it!!! :D :D :D for some reason the pump would not come back on so I could finish it off, I figured I needed 2-7gals more? anyway the news is!!! It works great :D :D matter of fact it took longer for the attendant to figure out how to turn it on(first day I think) then it did to pump it!!kevin

Man I was soooo happy about that. It was the first time that I was in and out of a fuel Island since we bought it. I still want to see how it will take on the last 5-10 gals though. I think I'll have plenty of time this summer though..kevin

I just got back from Gaffney, where they replaced my fuel tank while it was still under warranty.

The new/modified fuel tank still has the 5/8? vent lines but they have now been placed on the top of the tank instead of on the side of the tank about an inch from the top. This apparently makes a big difference in fueling up.

I started out with 25 gallons in the tank that the technician had removed from my old tank and put back in the new tank. I then drove 10 miles to a FlyingJ and fueled up from the RV island on street side.

I have a 100 gallon tank and it took 74 gallons before the nozzle clicked out. It filled the entire tank without stopping once. Talk about luxury.

On the way back I refueled one more time when my tank was half full. This time I used the curb side filler and the results where the same. Nozzle clicked off at 47 gallons and I was not able to much additional fuel in, so the tank really was full.

Next time I?ll get brave and see how the truck pumps work.

Now what am I going to do with all the time freed up trying to get fuel into my old tank. Thank you Freightliner for getting rid of this frustrating issue.

Hey guy's just got back from a branson trip, fueled up at the local wally world before heading out. used the top knotch on the pump handle, and the last 5-10gals went in fine!!!! so I am not dreading the fuel Islands anymore.kevin

Back
Top Bottom