Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: PowerLine EMS  (Read 6220 times)

juliemariep

PowerLine EMS
« on: December 29, 2008, 12:10:04 AM »
We have a 98 Winnebago Chieftain that uses an Intellitec PowerLine EMS(energy management system). It functions properly, except that on occasion the load meter reads "0" when in fact there is amperage being drawn. We can "jolt" it back to a proper reading by putting a heavy load on it, e. g., turn on the a/c and microwave at the same time. I've read the installation, service, and operator manuals and can't seem to find anything about this. Any ideas?

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
Re: PowerLine EMS
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:44:12 AM »
Hi Julie - welcome and glad to have you in our little corner of the Internet!  Look around the forum and let us know if you have any questions.

Hmmm - haven't heard that exact problem before.  Could be a bad EMS board - you'll probably get some more opinions though.  Calling Intellitec would be a useful thing to do - they are very helpful.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 08:51:30 AM »
The Intelletec EMS reads the amps on the neutral rather than the hot. Is it possible you have some of the return current flowing through the ground rather than the neutral?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

juliemariep

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 09:41:29 AM »
Thanks John & Gary.  I do plan on calling Intellitec, just couldn't do it over the holiday.  Regarding the return current flowing through the ground, I have no idea...I'm not that knowledgeable about this.  I do know that for the five years we've lived in this rig, we've never had any problems with the EMS readings and no one has messed with the board.  Can the current just "jump around" on its own and not flow through the neutral?

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 10:05:50 AM »
Julie - without getting too technical... if your neutral connection is not good all the time, your current reading would be intermittent Like Gary mentioned.  Neutral completes the path for the flow of electricity.  Could be your ground is performing that function instead of the neutral wire (which is a dangerous situation.) 

The EMS panel uses a little gizwilly (current transformer) that the neutral wire passes through.  As current flows through the gizwilly, it acts as a transformer and creates voltage that can be measured.  Your EMS panel is actually reading this voltage and not current - doesn't matter though since they translate the voltage reading into current.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 10:16:58 AM »
Just a question: On the older models would the readout be on a digital display or perhaps on an older analog meter (needle type).

If analog, it is possible that the needle is sticky near the zero point.

FWIW,  carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 10:27:30 AM »
Are you plugged into a new source of power?  (meaning different from your usual location)

Problem could be with the source power wiring or connection quality.
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

juliemariep

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 03:38:47 PM »
Carson...ours is a digital display, so no needle to be stuck.
Lou.......We trave full-time, so our power supply is always different and there is no "usual".

I've left a message with Intellitec's tech dept today, so maybe they can shed some light.  Will post here if they provide any helpful info.

Hosted by Over The Network