PowerLine EMS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juliemariep

We have a 98 Winnebago Chieftain that uses an Intellitec PowerLine EMS(energy management system). It functions properly, except that on occasion the load meter reads "0" when in fact there is amperage being drawn. We can "jolt" it back to a proper reading by putting a heavy load on it, e. g., turn on the a/c and microwave at the same time. I've read the installation, service, and operator manuals and can't seem to find anything about this. Any ideas?

Hi Julie - welcome and glad to have you in our little corner of the Internet!  Look around the forum and let us know if you have any questions.

Hmmm - haven't heard that exact problem before.  Could be a bad EMS board - you'll probably get some more opinions though.  Calling Intellitec would be a useful thing to do - they are very helpful.

The Intelletec EMS reads the amps on the neutral rather than the hot. Is it possible you have some of the return current flowing through the ground rather than the neutral?

Thanks John & Gary.  I do plan on calling Intellitec, just couldn't do it over the holiday.  Regarding the return current flowing through the ground, I have no idea...I'm not that knowledgeable about this.  I do know that for the five years we've lived in this rig, we've never had any problems with the EMS readings and no one has messed with the board.  Can the current just "jump around" on its own and not flow through the neutral?

Julie - without getting too technical... if your neutral connection is not good all the time, your current reading would be intermittent Like Gary mentioned.  Neutral completes the path for the flow of electricity.  Could be your ground is performing that function instead of the neutral wire (which is a dangerous situation.) 

The EMS panel uses a little gizwilly (current transformer) that the neutral wire passes through.  As current flows through the gizwilly, it acts as a transformer and creates voltage that can be measured.  Your EMS panel is actually reading this voltage and not current - doesn't matter though since they translate the voltage reading into current.

Just a question: On the older models would the readout be on a digital display or perhaps on an older analog meter (needle type).

If analog, it is possible that the needle is sticky near the zero point.

FWIW,  carson FL

Are you plugged into a new source of power?  (meaning different from your usual location)

Problem could be with the source power wiring or connection quality.

Carson...ours is a digital display, so no needle to be stuck.
Lou.......We trave full-time, so our power supply is always different and there is no "usual".

I've left a message with Intellitec's tech dept today, so maybe they can shed some light.  Will post here if they provide any helpful info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom