Your money...are you worried?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

To show a little perspective on our current quagmire, it might help to look back a bit.

Ever heard of the Dogs of the Dow?  click here

carson FL

Interesting.  I am still working class and will have a job as long as public schools are still provided.  It has already been announced that we will not get any raises next year, though.  I have retired friends who have just had to come off of the road to get jobs as they lost their retirement funds.  A lot of folks are feeling the tough times, for sure.

Interesting.

I'm not TOO worried.  When I retired in early 2007, we decided to be somewhat conservative with our investments..., and it's working out well for us. Retiring from an electric utility, I THINK my retirement fund is safe, but who knows.

That being said, if things get bad enough, even conservative investments may not be safe, but I'll worry about that if it happens.

Meanwhile, we are planning for our 2009 travels.   ;D

Well I just went out in the back yard and dug up my two coffee cans and its still all there. so I guess im save for the present time.heheheheh  Tboss 

Please provide your exact address so I can try out my new super-duper metal detector.  ;D
I won't tell anyone else.... really...  ::)

Also tell me when you are not at home. :)

carson FL

well, it sounds like it may be time to consider evasive action. no stocks, cd's or bonds. where can i put a few bucks that will be relatively safe if , no when, the bottom drops out. any serious ideas??????? jw

jdewellz said:
well, it sounds like it may be time to consider evasive action. no stocks, cd's or bonds. where can i put a few bucks that will be relatively safe if , no when, the bottom drops out. any serious ideas??????? jw

The answer is easy, a federally insured bank or credit union account.  Any else, gold and platinum, included have a downside risk and a cost of sale.

jdewellz said:

My grandparents who successfully survived the Great Depression said "Don't put all your eggs in one basket."

I highly recommend ING Direct for basic savings accounts and CD's.  I even have an electronic checking account with them which comes in very handy.  Everything is handled online and my ING accounts are linked to my regular checking account.  ING's rates are considerably higher than most banks, because they (ING) don't have thousands of brick-and-mortar banks to maintain and employees to pay.

scottydl said:
I highly recommend ING Direct for basic savings accounts and CD's.  I even have an electronic checking account with them which comes in very handy.  Everything is handled online and my ING accounts are linked to my regular checking account.  ING's rates are considerably higher than most banks, because they (ING) don't have thousands of brick-and-mortar banks to maintain and employees to pay.

Not that this will apply to most folks but I am the "Personal Representative"  for my aunt who passed on 11/27.08.  I was her Trustee before she passed and she had a rather large estate and many many Investments accounts and CD's including  ING .  Hands down ING Direct wins for being the least cooperative and most complicated entity to with whom to deal.  They may have good rates but I do not like their  means of doing business upon death.  Just one  humble opinion and LOTS of experience in coorespondance with ING.
Betty

Strange I had a friend that had a similar experience and told me the same thing Betty.  I can't really say since I have no personal experience with ING Direct. 

scottydl said:

I have an ING account and they do have pretty good CD rates but, I have found similar rates at local credit unions.  If you are trying to spread your money over several financial institutions, ING might be an OK place if you don't mind using a foreign bank.  I got involved with them because they are a Formula One sponsor.

PhilB

Phil said:
I have an ING account and they do have pretty good CD rates but, I have found similar rates at local credit unions.

That may be true too... I actually use ING for savings accounts (I have 5 with them) and the e-checking account more than anything.  The interest rates on those accounts are almost as high as the CD rates at any given time, which I have never found at any conventional bank.  No minimum balances, no fees either.  And no I don't work for ING, I'm just a very satisfied customer!  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom