TV replacement ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokeater1

Our 2005 27' Minnie has the front entertainment center. My problem is how to get at the back of the built in TV to connect the new converter box for digital. Short of trying to remove the wood trim I don't see an easy way. Anyone else tried this ?
Also might consider replacing the TV with a flat screen, and forgo the converrtor box, but same problem how to remove the TV without destroying the wood work ?

Thanks,

Jack

You may not need to get to the back of the TV.  Do you have a selector box in one of the cabinets?  The required cable will run from the TV to the selector box.  Find that cable and connect the converter box there. Also the TV cable has to connect to the Antenna somewhere that would be another alternative.

Jack - all depends on the model.  I had to take off a couple of pieces of wood trim, loosen two nuts that tighten a metal strap around the case,  and remove a safety cable to scoot my TV out.  If nobody here has any first-hand info, give Winnie owner relations a call.

The back of my box has four little screws to remove a cover over the back of the box and the tv.  But got to sit on the dash to get at it.

Thanks everyone.....mine looks like the factory slid the TV in , then built the trim around it.  No provision for removal apparently !
There must be a lot of rigs out there in the same situation as me I would think.

Thanks,

Jack.

Jack, that doesn't seem right, permanently built in.

My unit has a rectangular outer trim with 4 wooden plugs that can be removed. Then there are screws behind them loosening the entire trim for removal. My unit has an elaborate cage surrounding the TV, built like a tank.

Hope it is as simple as that for you.

carson FL

No provision for removal apparently
I strongly doubt that. I am not that familiar with your model, but normally there is a way to remove the TV without destroying the woodwork. As John suggested, call Winnie Owner Relations at (800) 537-1885 or email at [email protected]. You will need to include year, model and s/n of your rig to get the most accurate answer.

The original front and rear TVs on our coach (not a Winnebago) required two steps for removal:

• Remove wooden plugs in the trim to expose screws that can be removed.
  • Remove a couple of plugs on the underside of the cabinet, exposing screws that hold a simple wooden plinth inside the cabinet, underneath the TV. The plinth has a couple of metal brackets that hold the TV in place. When the screws on the underside are removed, the plinth moves enough to allow the TV to come out the front.

Apologies if this is not relevant to your coach.

The RV makers don't build in any sophisticated way - the trim around your tv may be nailed or screwed on, but it will come off easily. Could you send a photo?

Most likely there will be some wood "buttons" covering screw heads to remove the surrounding molding.

The trim around my TV has no screws covered by wood plugs, as the trim around the slides does. There must be some trick to this !
Here's a picture of my TV.  Any ides ?

Thanks,

Jack.

Attachments

• Minnie TV.jpg
    Minnie TV.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 121
Jack,

That photo makes things much clearer, thanks. It looks like the TV would slide out without removing trim. Is the TV maybe held down with industrial grade Velcro? If so, it looks like you could get a couple of fingers under each side and attempt to pry the TV off the Velcro. Hopefully, they didn't use double sided tape instead.

Also looks like the part the TV is setting on might slide out.  Look under the cabinet and in the cabnets on either side to see if fasteners might be there that hold the part the TV is setting on.

smokeater1 said:
The trim around my TV has no screws covered by wood plugs, as the trim around the slides does. There must be some trick to this !
Here's a picture of my TV.  Any ides ?

Winnie does use Velcro and/or double-sticky tape for immobilization but you can bet your bippie there is more than that securing your CRT style TV - our TV wouldn't have moved with a bomb .  Give Winnie a call.

Thanks everyone, I did send an email to them with my info . I'll wait to see if they reply before trying to get the trim to come off.

Jack.

Jack,

Be sure to let us know what you find out. This information will be useful for others in the future. TIA.

This today from the factory :
Jack,

The TV is held in place with a metal strap. Once the bolts to the TV strap are loosened, the TV can be slid out the front. Our engineers didn't design the cabinet for easy access to the bolts holding the TV strap . Access is gained through the two cabinets next to the TV. Remove the shelves and pilasters on the panels near the TV. Then you will need to remove the panels. They will be held in place with small nails or screws. Access to the bolts will be obtained once the panels are removed.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Winnebago Service Administration

They are right, not easy....

Jack.

Back
Top Bottom