Remodeling TT using Indiana shops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowman9000

My wife and I want to remodel a TT for use by just the two of us.  We owned one several years ago when the kids were young, and used to doodle out better floor plans.  We want a mid-20's length.  My main thought is to buy a late model used TT that has the basic locations of bath and kitchen we want, then remodel as follows.

1) A small couch (sleeper?) and a recliner for evening reading and TV-watching.
2) No need for dinette. (Couch can go there, maybe.)
3) Small eating counter, to also provide extra kitchen counter space.
4) Bathroom that isn't cramped for elbow-room.
5) Extra storage.

(Once I spend some time looking at other options, I'm sure there might be some mechanical upgrades I'd like.  But for now I am thinking of the floorplan.)

So we would be trading sleeping and eating space for extra people in return for more comfort for two.  A slide-out would help a lot, I'm sure.  We did not have one on our previous trailer.

I suppose we could pay a small fortune to get one built from scratch.  But I am thinking of buying late model and fixing it up.  We live within an easy half-day's drive of the RV belt in Indiana.  Would it be possible to just have one of the Amish shops there do the work?  Any opinions on this approach?

Welcome to the RV Forum. 

I'm sure folks here will have ideas and maybe some contact information for you on places that can assist in your remodel plans.
Stay in touch and share your progress reports.

My remodel plans are not as ambitious as yours, but some furniture upgrades and removals are in my future.
Again, welcome aboard.

There are no doubt numerous shops that could do what you want. You don't need an RV shop - any cabinet and furniture shop could do the sorts of things you have in mind. I've seen Greg Mies at Trees to These (Decatur, IN) gut major pieces of the interior of a motorhome and put it back together per the owners wishes, and he is just one of many small shops that do this sort of thing.

Agree with Gary.  Also, Indiana currently has a lot of unemployed RV cabinet makers because several of the RV manufacturers have closed in that area.  I'm sure some of them would like your business!

ArdraF

Charger Enterprises, Duncan Systems and Bradd and Hall are the best choices I've found in Elkhart. Nappanee has Focal Wood Products, an Amish owned can make just about any custom item you want. Not cheap but excellent quality. Rv Surplus and Salvage in Elkhart has a huge inventory of rv products, as do Bontrager Salvage in White Pigeon MI and G & G Enterprises of Centerville MI

Good luck on your project.

We have had work done by both Bradd & Hall and Carlyle at Focal Wood Products and can recommend them without reservation.  Bradd & Hall have a wide selection of commercial furniture and flooring and Carlyle can build just about any custom pieces you would need.  He remodeled our dash board this past fall and we are extremely pleased with the results.

Back
Top Bottom