Country Coach on the Brink, warns shutdown is imminent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Country Coach will permanently shut down unless new financing is obtained before March. The announcement was made in a letter to employees and community leaders from CEO Jay Howard, dated Dec. 30, 2008.  Even if Country Coach obtains a loan, the company expects layoffs starting around March 1, Howard said.

Country Coach was slated to reopen Monday after being temporarily shut down during December, but will not re-open as planned.

For the full story see:

http://www.examiner.com/a-1771574~Ore__RV_maker_warns_of_potential_shutdown.html

Quite a turn of events, and sad to see. Just a few years ago, while we were in Junction City & Coburg, there was quite a spread in the local newspaper about Country Coach doubling capacity in JC.

Might be time for the RV execs to board the corporate jets and head to DC.

Very bad news, especially for the workers. It's a bummer for us personally, too, as we're in the process of selling the house and Country Coach was at the top of our short list to purchase (older, used). Not sure how those plans will be affected if they close their doors.

P.S. - Can we say "on the Brink" here? :)

Used coaches outside of warranty will be effected by a little lower value, however, if you find one, just buy it.  The components were not made by CC.  Just the house and chassis. 

PancakeBill said:
Used coaches outside of warranty will be effected by a little lower value, however, if you find one, just buy it.  The components were not made by CC.  Just the house and chassis. 

Bill:

Until the disposition of the chassis parts, drawings, and tooling s known I would be a little careful.

Jeff Cousins said:
Until the disposition of the chassis parts, drawings, and tooling s known I would be a little careful.

Jeff

In this case I would agree. Since Country Coach builds its own chassis, repairs and replacement parts could be much more problematical. I wouldn't be overly concerned about other parts of the coach, nearly all are either off the shelf type or OEM supplied and serviceable.

We have a new Country Coach Prevost that we are concerned about service on. The good thing is that Prevost will take care of anything on the bus itself but the conversion part is another story. So much for the 2 year warratnty that helped get us to make the decision to go with Country Coach after a disater of owning a new Magna. If there is anything for me to be happy about it would be that some of arrogance that their management had will be tempered with them standing in the unemployment lines......

DR said:
...So much for the 2 year warratnty that helped get us to make the decision to go with Country Coach after a disater of owning a new Magna....

Don't you love it when a product is touted as having a "lifetime limited warranty?" Whose lifetime - mine or yours?  What are the limitations?

I hope things work out for you - CC builds a great product and has a loyal following.  Fingers crossed they will pull out of the morass.

Reminds me of some guarantees I have received:  "Guaranteed as long as it lasts!"    ;D

When I sold my motorcycle in Arkansas years ago, I offered the buyer my Ozark Guarantee. 

It simply says... "if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces".

What is the definition of "Lifetime Warranty" ? Mine or the equipment; I can't wrap my mind around that one.  ???

carson FL

In the early 80's we had a paint job on a nearly new car after someone tried to run over us. I asked about their warranty, and was told "as long as you own the car". I had them write that on the invoice/receipt. 10 years later I walked into the shop with the receipt and asked them to make good on their warranty. The guy gulped and said "we didn't think you'd keep the car that long". If Chris hadn't subsequently totaled the car, I might have been back at the 20 year point  ;D

LOL John. We keep our cars a long time, if they're reliable. I gave (officially sold for $1) our  replacement for that totaled car to one of the kids when it was 15 years old. We kept our Pace Arrow 15 years before buying our current coach.

Country Coach is maybe the only "out of business" motorhome manufacturer that we would consider for our next motorhome, as the quality was top notch.

Tom said:
LOL John. We keep our cars a long time, if they're reliable. I gave (officially sold for $1) our  replacement for that totaled car to one of the kids when it was 15 years old. We kept our Pace Arrow 15 years before buying our current coach.

We have kept vehicles for a few years at times.  We still have our 73 Jeep J4000 pickup that we bought new in 73. ;)

Tom said:
LOL John. We keep our cars a long time, if they're reliable.

Hey, my kind of guy Tom!! 

Once had a 1973 Datsun pickup with about 240,000 miles on it.  Daughter was complaining one day about it ... told her it has all the necessities, ie. brakes, radio, etc.    ;D

"Ya Dad, but it doesn't have any options!  :(      ???

Finally decided that the next time it breaks I wasn't even going to look .... sold it for next to nothing ... kids said they saw it running around a few more times.  ;D

Howard

FrontrangeRVer said:
Country Coach is maybe the only "out of business" motorhome manufacturer that we would consider for our next motorhome, as the quality was top notch.

Mark

There may be other "orphaned" coaches out there that should be considered as well. For example, the specs, fit and finish of the Travel Supreme will equal or surpass any Country Coach at the same price. In addition, since the TS is on a Spartan chassis rather than in-house construction, there is still factory support for a major component.

Back
Top Bottom