washer and dryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mia

Hi there,

I have a 09 Forest River, Cedar Creek RD5S and I love it. My question is this I have a combination washer and dryer which I hate. Would a seperate washer and dryer fit into the same space without  changing anything????? I have asked a few people and no one seems to give me a straight answer. Some say yes they will fit  others say no they won't with out removing 2" of floor and moving the doors 2" out as well. I do not want to do this as it will change it  structurally. The combo I have vibrates so much my whole fifth wheel dances. Also it takes so long to do a very small load. Any help would be appreciated.
Mia

I don't know about the space issues in your particular rig but I just got a new Splendide 2100 XC Washer/dryer combo installed in my motorhome.  It has  been a learning curve and  much experimentation on  how  to get the best laundry results.  You need to use very small loads of clothing.  I found the Express wash  cycle on the Permanent Press cycle  to be the fastest (around 35 minutes)  Then  I  set the dryer for  it's own  timed cycle.  A ful load will dry in anywhere from 35 to 60 minutes depending on if it is towels , jeans or what.  When I went from wash to dry automatically I had lots of wrinkles.  The only vibration I get is when the cycle spins and it is a low hum and not  very noticable.  Maybe there is something more you could do to secure  appliance to the floor.

God luck

Betty

Check the machine for level, when the 5r is level.  If the 5r is off level and the machine is also off level you may well experience geater vibration or wobble.  Being a new unit the balance springs should be okay, but it also might not be well secured to the floor.  Of course none of that makes the slightest difference as to how clean or dry the clothes come out.

BT

Generally a stacked washer-dryer takes more room, even the integrated models. Taller for sure, but you seem to be asking about depth as well.  Best I can say is to measure your opening and then start shopping the manufacturer specs to see if there is one that fits. There are several sources for stacked washer dryers - even Splendide makes one.  I'm pretty sure the Splendide stack set will fit in the same opening - the spec sheet says the width and depth are nearly identical. They require 66" of height, though (vs 33 for the combo).

http://www.splendide.com/models.htm

Our Splendide combo is not fastened down in any way, nor does it appear to be designed to do so. There is a lip to keep it from popping out of its cabinet, though.  Does anybody have one that is attached to the floor?  Just curious, since the subject has been raised (no pun intended!  :D )

Neither the Splendide in our coach nor the one in our boat are fastened down. The boat has been in some rough seas, but the Spendide hasn't moved. It doesn't even have a "lip" to prevent it from popping out.

Back to the original question, I echo Gary's suggestion of measuring to see if the stacked units will fit. I'd also check the structural integrity of the floor to ensure it can take the added weight, although the dryer will be lighter than the washer.

There are times when we wish we had a stacked unit, but they are mainly associated with laundering large towels.

After 9+ yrs, my Splendide broke down and I replaced it with current model to forestal further breakdowns.

As a solo Rver, I do about 3 loads a week. Generally, I use the heavy wash cycle (~ 1 hr) and 2 hrs of drying (usually overkill) in my vented unit. I always pull the clothes off the wall of the drum after the wash cycle. T-shirts are a bit wrinkled but I don't care.

I love my Splendide combo and wouldn't trade that huge storage space above it for a stacked unit.  As to your vibration, that is not normal if it does it all the time.  I suppose it might vibrate once in a while if you have an "uneven" load, but that would be rare.  You can unscrew one or two of the "legs" to get it level and that should help with the vibration.  Ours is definitely not fastened to the floor.

When washing and drying, I may wash a set of two sheets and two pillow cases, but I shake them out before drying and then dry one sheet and one pillow case at a time.  If you stuff it too full there will be a lot of wrinkles.  I sometimes do a set of towels all the way through but even they're less wrinkled if shaken between washing and drying.  Most of us wash more frequently with smaller loads.  The amount of water used is miniscule when compared to a regular unit such as you have at home.  Also, smaller loads will dry faster.

ArdraF

I had to remove ours and put a new Splendide in it's place.  In doing this I learned that getting the adjustable leg set firmly so the washer is supported properly and it is level will reduce/stop vibration except for bunch of wet clothes being out of balance.  Because your MH is an 09 I suspect that the folks on the production line just slid it in place without proper leveling.

Do check to see if a stacked unit will do a larger load than the Splendide before deciding.  One thing I like is that we can do sox and underware in one cycle.  In other words they are washed and then move on automatically to the dry cycle.  It takes a couple of hours but we do something else such as go out to dinner.

JerryF

Splendide 2100 combo;The program selector knob keeps turning when you try to use the dryer, washes fine. The machine needs to be Reset. Wait a few minutes for the drain pump to empty the tub, switch the washer-dryer OFF. Select one of the Reset positions on the knob, then switch it back ON. If the knob continues to turn, call for assistance. This does not work does anyone have any ideas other call repairman

?IF? they will fit....We are ?extremely? happy with our (14 year old) GE Spacesaver stackable washer and dryer. You have to listen carefully to hear them running. The load capacity is almost that of our home washer and dryer. The dryer seems to dry as fast as our home unit, but we?ve never actually timed it. It just works good!
  Though, as stated, they are 14 years old....I cannot state the quality of the newer manufactured units!

Re the selector knob moving.  On our combo Splendide the knob moves when you have stopped in the middle of a cycle and it goes back to where it was originally, in other words 360 degree spin.  Let it go to the original setting and then go forward to the first Reset, let it reset and then turn it off before turning it back on.  Hopefully that will work.

ArdraF

dreamsopen said:
Splendide 2100 combo;The program selector knob keeps turning when you try to use the dryer, washes fine. The machine needs to be Reset. Wait a few minutes for the drain pump to empty the tub, switch the washer-dryer OFF. Select one of the Reset positions on the knob, then switch it back ON. If the knob continues to turn, call for assistance. This does not work does anyone have any ideas other call repairman
you are answering a 9 year old thread you may not get a response

dreamsopen said:
Splendide 2100 combo;The program selector knob keeps turning when you try to use the dryer, washes fine.  The machine needs to be Reset.  Wait a few minutes for the drain pump to empty the tub, switch the washer-dryer OFF. Select one of the Reset positions on the knob, then switch it back ON. If the knob continues to turn, call for assistance. This does not work does anyone have any ideas other call repairman

On our Splendide, you do not "just turn it off", you have to wait for it to time out first, then open the door. Can you not select  a "no dryer ' operation?? Is that what you want to do? Do want to use only the dryer at that time, no wash??

We never use the dryer and we don't have to wait through a dryer operation to open the door and remove the clothing. Never had to 'reset' either. (Sorry, I don't have the paperwork handy to look it up, it is 1800 miles away right now!).

Back
Top Bottom