Good Sam Club Renewal Notice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mick & Pat

Within the last week of 2008 I received a letter from the Good Sam Club (of which I am a member) which contained a membership dues notice.

My renewal date is 30th June 2009 which is 179 days away  :eek:

I have written to the club asking why they are posting renewal notices 6 months before they are due and pointed out that no doubt I will receive several more before the 30th June.

My letter also states that if this is how they squander the members fees I would be seriously considering NOT renewing with a club that is happy to waste the clubs funds.

Is this the 'norm' or can any other member report receiving 'any' renewal notice more that 179 days in advance?

My complaint is just the opposite.  Organizations that send out renewal notices a month or less before they're due and because of our mail forwarding, we don't get them in time to meet the due date.  I wonder why, when nearly everyone has a computer and email access, it's necessary to mail out any kind of notice if you furnish an email address to the organization.

I am not really fond of GS and their junk mail and billing practices or not much that they do.  If I wasn't a lifetime member, we became lifetime members before Affinity got involved, we wouldn't be members at all.

A National crisis, what are we gonn'a do...?

I know when I subscribed and know when it is due. Any solicitations in between go in the trash.
Don't worry, when it's due you'll get another notice; maybe 2....or 3....

I received my notice today, and it went the same place  as Carson's.  My renewal is due in June, and will be paid in May.  It seems this must be SOP these days.  I also have received renewal notices  6 mo in advance from almost every magazine we take and several other organizations.. The classic is Better Homes and Garden magazine.  My Wife subscribed for two years. She is still receiving offers to extend her subscription.. GO FIGURE.

Tony

After we called Good Sam and got our address removed from the Affinity Group mailing list, we didn't even get a renewal notice for our GS membership.  That's fine with me as I do our renewals online.

Ned, can you do that unsubscribe from Affinity online? I haven't been a member of GS in forever and still get their stuff. Thanks, Ernie- Happy New Year!!!

Ernie, not online, but a phone call can get you off their list. It may take more than one call.  Since you're not a GS member any longer, I can't give you a number to call, sorry.

It is a fact that the renewal rate is far higher for those companies who plan three notices beginning several months in advance so I am sure Affinity is following the publishing industry norms. I also like the reminders.

I am not sure opting out of the junk mail will stop the renewal notices.

Ned said:
After we called Good Sam and got our address removed from the Affinity Group mailing list, we didn't even get a renewal notice for our GS membership.  That's fine with me as I do our renewals online.

We had to call several times and still get junk mail once in a while.

I was told by GS, specifically--early notice is to accommocdate full-timers, or anyone else with mail forwarding procedures which may not ensure timely delivery. Have not been bothered by their "junk"--it comes from everywhere and theirs is minimal.
Tweedy

Can't argue with that!! Just reporting what I got in response to the specific question I asked of GS rep. That's thier way of duing business, I guess--  I gave a $50 donation to our local PBS TV station--so far have gotten two follow ups-- including "if you have already sent your donation, please disregard----etc." Looks like they have spent it on paper work! Many years ago, was Admin Officer of a lairly busy USN organization-- figured $10/page to produce every outgoing letter-- no telling  what it costs now, although word processors may have held the cost in check somewhat.

GS. is no different than most any other place that has memberships or seasonal tickets. Why do sporting events make you buy your season tickets up to a year early [nascar etc] 
Money on hand for up grading or improving co. How much more intrest can they get from the money coming in earlier than needed ? Also helps with fig budgets for next year
So the earlier they get the money the more they can make on it.

Jiggs,

I think it is different for the customer to go and buy as you point out a ticket 1 year or even more in advance, you do this when you book a holiday,it just seems to me a little excessive for a club to waste its funds sending out reminders 6 months before they are due no doubt followed by even more as the date approaches.

Not only is it a waste of money but what about the cost on the environment, I thought the American Government along with others from around the world are trying to reduce pollution and wasting energy?

Hey the Post Office needs the business and think of all the people that have jobs making the paper, printing,
sorting, and transporting all that junk. VBG

Dave

Don't forget the trash collectors and the land fills they get to build.

Hey Ned & Dave,

You are right silly me what was I thinking, more junk mail, cut down more forest to clear an area to dispose of more rubbish.

This will mean jobs for life for our children and childrens children :D

Within the last week of 2008 I received a letter from the Good Sam Club (of which I am a member) which contained a membership dues notice.  My renewal date is 30th June 2009 which is 179 days away

Magazine and membership renewals date back to the pre-computer era and has never changed.  Before computers it took six months to process the paperwork and actually get the subscription going.  Not the case now, but companies don't change long-standing habits easily.  Also, I strongly suspect that having customers renew far in advance helps the company in such things as budgeting and staffing.  Just a guess, but an educated one as a retired librarian.  ::)

I do believe that many of the elderly truly do get taken by multiple renewal notices.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if their children learn after their deaths that the parent renewed some subscriptions many years in advance.  Some of the renewal notices are written and designed to make people panic, especially if they're older and more vulnerable.  Not a very moral practice in my opinion!  We keep copies of each subscription and don't renew until about two months before lapsing.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom