Axle Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayjayco

My neighbor burned up a wheel bearing and damaged the spindle on her Jayco pop-up trailer.  She ordered a new replacement axle (complete).  How difficult is it to replace the whole axle assembly?  Any special tools needed?  Any pitfalls to watch out for?

Shouldn't be a big deal - they are just bolted on. Big bolts and maybe rusty or seized up, but just plain bolts nonetheless.

Just be careful jacking it up and supporting the frame while  working on it.

Spray the bolts that need to be removed with PB Blaster the day before you work on it.  PB Blaster is available at most auto parts.

Wheels should be towed in slightly at the front for better tracking. You might want to check that when you're done.

But you have to bend the axle to change toe-in, right?  It's worth checking in any case - new axles have been known to be cock-eyed and the result can be some strange behavior, with odd tire wera being the most common.

Sometimes axles are bent to set tow-in and sometimes, if they have bolt on hubs, they can be shimmed.

I have replaced two axels on trailers in the past, new axels come with a camber arch in them so the wheels are in proper position when loaded, I have never heard of adusting toe on a trailer axel and can not imagine how to bend or cold forge a angel into the axel to make the wheels track even with out some good equipment nor do I personaly think the toe should be toed in on a trailing axel. JMO

Truck alignment shops routinely bend solid axles to align them properly, but they have massive grips and hydraulic jacks to do it. I had to have the front axle on our 02 Dolphin bent to fix a camber problem because there was no camber adjustment. 

Trailer axles can be bent (usually accidentally), but I don't think I would try it on a new one. Maybe to repair one that was already bent, as a last ditch effort before replacement, though.

I agree - never heard of forcing a trailer axle to have toe-in. Straight was always the goal, I thought.

I have had the camber adjusted on a full size Ford van some time ago, as you said hydraulics and fixtures needed to reform the Twin I beam suspension, but it cost more to cold forge most axles then to buy most any trailer axle, even Torflex axles just do not cost that much, and we are talking a pop up here, just install a new one and tow the trailer and forget about the toe, excuse the pun.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom