DVLA/VOSA new rules in April?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

navara

As I understand it, a new set of rules is to be introduced around April with regard to size restrictions on RV's in the UK?
There have been quite a few unoficial leaks and speculation as to the content, but does anybody know if any of these "new" rules will apply to 5vers?
I'm thinking in terms of weight, width and electric brakes.

Ta ;D

I heard that a new form of SVA test (single vehicle application) is to be enforced on all North American RV's from 2010
Irrespective of year , new or used , and will include motorhomes,trailers and fivers

This test examines every nut and bolt on the vehicle for UK compliance

Glad I imported mine in 2008

[quote author=winniebagotony].... a new form of test .... is to be enforced on all North American RV'ers from 2010. Irrespective of age, and will include owners of motorhomes, trailers and fivers. This test examines every nut and bolt on the person for UK compliance[/quote]

Crickey Tony, I don't think I could pass the test. I might never be able to visit the UK again!

The current SVA requirements are clearly explained on the DVLA web site. But they fail to mention the new requirements.

Tom said:
The current SVA requirements are clearly explained on the DVLA web site. But they fail to mention the new requirements.

Bare in mind, it's only what I've heard, I don't state it as FACT.  My info was picked up off a UK base RV Club Forum and the main gist seemed to be that the O/A width of UK allowable RV's would be increasesd to up to 102" wide (I think) and also would finally state (IN WRITING!) that the O/A width measurment DID NOT have to include awnings, grab handles, etc. Up until now, this has been debatable (to say the least!).

My reason for asking was that if our authorities were looking at "A" Class RV's,would they also be looking at 5Vers, etc?

Hopefully, Paul will see your message soon and jump in. He's on a mission of "Campaigning for clarity" when it comes to legislation, but he's also on an extended holiday right now with limited internet access.

Meanwhile, Tony has his ear to the ground, and he's heard/read that trailers and fifthwheels will be included.

BTW please ignore my message to Tony; It was just a Taff joke.

Hi

I have to be brief as Im typing on my small PDA screen with dodgy wifi whilst in Malta.

Check out the RVOA website and you can read of the new 2.6m width rule and exempted accessories (awnings etc) which starts from April 2012.

You can submit your newly imported RV for inspection under the new rules from April 2009 on a purely VOLUNTARY basis; but compulsory from 2012.

I dont know how the voluntary system will differ from the current system at this time. Im also not aware of changes being applied to pre-registered vehicles.

The RVOA have been invited to attend (and bring guests) to a workshop in 2009 with the DVLA, DfT and VOSA where a "test RV" will be taken along and they will show us exactly what will be checked under the new rules.

The RVOA have spoken with several INDEPENDANT dealers and service/parts companies and have invited them to attend the workshop too - on condition that they provide a free report to members of the RVOA on their findings.

That will have to be it until I get back in mid-February.

Cheers
Paul

Paul,

Thanks for answering that last question, I just know you would, however, what about RV's length in the new rules?

The reason I ask is there is a couple here in the US who have booked their Revolution LE to ship back which is over 12m long, they believe they will be okay because other Revolution LE's have already been shipped, registered and sold are they okay?

Mick

Mick

I would advise your friend to contact the RVDA as, you will recall, they have stated they can get any RV registered. I would love to hear what they say.

Personally, I wouldnt want to bring in a 12m+ RV.

The situation we now have is that the Gov departments have relented and increased the width from 2.55m to 2.6m and are ignoring awnings etc.

It would be a pity if people then try and abuse the new (extremely lenient) system and try to bring in even bigger units (ie over 12m).

His options are to try the RVDA or just keep both fingers and at least two toes crossed and hope he gets away with it due to DVLA/VOSA apathy.

Eric would be his best option; but he can expect a nice big bill for the priviledge.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for that I will pass on your views when we next see this couple.........actually I believe you may have had communication from this chap Chris after his Ford Focus developed the identical problem using Blue Ox that you did?

Mick

PS After April 2009 an importer can 'voluntary' offer their RV for inspection, why would anyone want to do that, I shall try and ask the RVDA.

After April 2009 an importer can 'volunteer' their RV for inspection, why would anyone want to do that

The existing rules (to April 2012) allow an RV upto 2.55m including accessories in that total.

If your RV is wider than 2.55m and especially if you have an awning, they can refuse to register your vehicle.

BUT, if you pay their fees and voluntarily submit for testing I believe you are then working to the new rules (even though they don't officially start until 2012) and are allowed 2.6m and awnings are exempt.

Although VOSA told me they would be "surprised" if an RV was declined before 2012, they said it could very well happen. You know how one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.  :'(

By submitting to the test you are 100% assured that your RV is legal - there are NO grey areas at all.

Having said all of that, I wouldn't want my newly imported RV to be their training manual. I would wait until the RVOA etc have had a chance to see all the ins and outs of their testing procedures first.

Finally, please don't take my comments as being Gospel. I will write what I believe is happening after having spoken with VOSA etc. I could have misread something they've said. However, I do try to get it right.

Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom