Is this a different roof problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art In Mobile

"My 2007 Itasca Suncruiser has the fiberglass roof wrap down the sidewall approx. 4" then it is tucked under the rain gutter. My rain gutter/roof separated from the sidewall in an aprrox. 6 foot section, I could actually see the sheared off screws"

I see that on his 2007 the gutter sheared off the screw heads! The gutter which on mine is screwed to the sidewall. If I am understanding this correctly, the part that holds down the fiberglass roof let lose. It must have flown onto the road somewhere. It would take a lot of force or not enough fasteners to cause this. Seems like Winnebago should look into this.

There must have been quite a bit of house movement to cause those screws to shear off. I have heard about roof problems here and there, but none where the screws are sheared.

I have noticed some of my inside wood trim that is adjacent to wall board has worked back and forth and has rubbed the wall board covering into little 'piles' - there has to be some flex in the structure just by virtue of its size and the requirement to keep the overall unit as light as possible.  Sometimes the engineers don't get it correct - one (at least) large Class A manufacturer (not Winnie AFAIK) went to a one piece windshield from the split one and had lots of the glass breaking due to stresses in the cab.  I heard about some of these problems happening after the one year house warranty and the manufacturer said, "sorry."

Art In Mobile said:
My rain gutter/roof separated from the sidewall in an aprrox. 6 foot section, I could actually see the sheared off screws"

I see that on his 2007 the gutter sheared off the screw heads! The gutter which on mine is screwed to the sidewall. If I am understanding this correctly, the part that holds down the fiberglass roof let lose. It must have flown onto the road somewhere. It would take a lot of force or not enough fasteners to cause this. Seems like Winnebago should look into this.

Yes, the rain gutter does hold the non-glued and free standing fiberglass roof edge down where it overlaps the sidewall about an inch or so.

Seems like something traumatic would have to happen to pull this long section of screwed in rain gutter out? 

That was my post that is quoted. Nope nothing traumatic, one 500 mile round trip (maiden voyage) then parked for the winter, noticed the problem when I was washing and waxing for the first trip in the spring, very diconcerting, no problems in the 10,000 miles since they repaired it.

Back
Top Bottom