Digital TV converter time coming up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's true Lou. My wife is the opposite of me, in that she has a good eye for things, is very creative, and does anything with her hands (drawing, painting, woodwork, and other crafts). She gets it from her Dad who has all those skills and more. When he visited us back in the 80's he sat in front of my computer - first time he'd seen one - and proceeded to create some wonderful art "freehand" with the mouse. OTOH neither Chris nor her Dad believe they have any special talents.

I've been blessed to know several people like that over the years, Tom.  Talent with humility can be very attractive and endearing traits.  I try to console myself by being the best "bad example" that I can be.

Kidding aside, I seriously doubt that all your accomplishments were accidental either.  Have a good evening, lou 

[quote author=Lou]Talent with humility can be very attractive and endearing traits.[/quote]

That's for sure Lou. Chris' Dad has donated a number of exhibits to museums, and large detailed models of a church and chapel have been donated to the respective religious groups. He's received some glowing letters of appreciation and admiration. I'm slowly putting together a photo album to document his work, thanks to family members on two continents taking photos and emailing them to me. All his wood models are done by hand - he steadfastly refuses to use any power tools.

Fortunately, the talent gene has been passed to our niece, Chris' sister's daughter, as has the humility gene.

Please share the album with us when assembled.  I'm already impressed just sensing the sincerity and admiration for his work in your comments.

Carson, I just loaded and tried the draw function in open office and it appears to have all the function of the program I usually use.

I'll be playing with it over the next few days and will let you know how I like it.  One thing I've already verified, which is very important to posting your finished drawings here on the forum is the ability to export the finished product as a jpeg image file.

Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

Ned, thanks for the heads up.......

Lou (onaquest) said:
Steve, maybe it's just me, but I've always found paintbrush as hard to use as the original 'etch-a-sketch".  I've never done anything but destroy a photo with it.  It was designed for people who can set the clock on a VCR, control a hoola hoop and whistle.  I never mastered any of those. ;D ;D

Lou,

I am just the opposite.  My work consists of creating nautical charts, the basis of which I create from scanned topos using MS Paint.  I have Adobe Photoshop and Corel and find MS Paint far easier to use (although a lot of the finsihing touches are done in Adobe).

What I was trying to say is that MS Paint makes it easy to create a diagram like the one you created and Carson probably has the program already on his computer.  It would be simple to create a few boxes, place them where you want, create a few linking lines and add text.  As for photos, no, I would never attempt to do anything to a photo in MS Paint, with the exception of adding some text perhaps.

Steve

Steve, to be honest, the only thing I ever used paint for, with photos, was sizing, and I destroyed several because I didn't know how, or when, to save my finished, or original, photos.  I've been scared to death of the thing since.

I was no Wiz with the MX-Draw program in the beginning either, so I'm sure practice, with any program, is the key to satisfactory results.  I can't imagine using paint for the kind of detail and accuracy you must need in your application.

I'll have to take another look at Paint sometime when I haven't been drinking to heavily ;) ;D ;D

That drawing can easily be done in Excel. I have done entire (small) TV station line drawings in Excel so the local Chief didn't have an excuse to go out and buy a CAD program :)

Open the options and enable Drawing Tools. You'll be amazed what it can do.

[quote author=Lou]One thing I've already verified, which is very important to posting your finished drawings here on the forum is the ability to export the finished product as a jpeg image file.[/quote]

For clarification Lou, .doc and .pdf are also allowed formats for attachments here, subject of course to the maximum allowed file size (currently 250K).

An advantage of the .DOC format is it allows others to download and edit the document. JPG and PDF do not.  Any other format, like .ODT or .ODG, could be put into a .ZIP file and attached.  The .ZIP file allows posting documents larger than 250K as long as the .ZIP file is less than 250K.

SCVJeff said:
That drawing can easily be done in Excel.

Jeff, I'm aware of that.  In fact, Excel is so much more than most folks realize that it boggles the mind.  I use Excel draw sometimes because it's easier to incorporate into a word document than importing from some other programs.  Especially if it has to remain in an editable form.

Tom said:
For clarification Lou, .doc and .pdf are also allowed formats for attachments here, subject of course to the maximum allowed file size (currently 250K).

Thanks Tom, I see all the supported types now under the attach window.  I never tried to read all that small print before.

Ned said:
An advantage of the .DOC format is it allows others to download and edit the document. JPG and PDF do not. 

Exactly why I used it Ned.  I'm not familiar with some of the other file types you mentioned in your reply, but I didn't see .DRW supported so I changed all my attached drawings to .JPG

Any time someone wants any of them in editable form, just ask.

Lou,

.drw is now an allowed format for attachments. Put the prior omission down to my ignorance of the format.

Lou, ODT and ODG are Open Office formats for text and draw documents, respectively.  What programs support the .DRW format?

Tom and Ned,

The .drw file type is created by the Micrografx Windows Draw program.  Are you sure that just because you will allow it to be uploaded that it will indeed "open" for members to see in a thread?  Should I try it? ???

[quote author=Lou]Are you sure that just because you will allow it to be uploaded that it will indeed "open" for members to see in a thread?[/quote]

Lou, as with all attachments, it will only open if someone has the respective application on their PC. On reflection, it woud seem best if the files were saved to a different format.

Ah yes, I understand.

I have these brain farts from time to time though;D ;D

Lou, that's why I asked :)  MS Office formats, the older versions, are relatively safe as most people will either have some version of Office, the Office viewers, or software like Open Office that can read them.  The newer versions of Office use a different format, based on XML, that even the older versions can't open but you can save in Office 97 format, that's pretty safe.

Thanks Ned,  I try not to make things difficult for others because I'm not capable of answering their questions when I do. ;) ;D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom