Digital TV converter time coming up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those interested in this post...a busy one.

I completed my installation today for both TV sets. I ran into some old defective connectors on the way, which I replaced. Today I installed the rear bedroom system and now all is working A -ok.

As I stated before, I am in reception range at this location of 1 old VHF analog signal (10) and 3 new DTV (digital signals) channels.

My final installation today produced identical reception on both TV's. Wish I were a TV addict, but I am not.

See the pix below for my fix. I welcome input and questions.

carson FL

Attachments

• Front DTV converter installation.jpg
    Front DTV converter installation.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Rear Bedroom DTV converter.jpg
    Rear Bedroom DTV converter.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 55
Carson, I couldn't tell if that was digital or analog weather on that TV, but I did remember the weather channel is very popular among Florida residents. :D ::) ::) ;D

I've had it bookmarked for over a year.  It's a good reference for digital TV.

Where I live, theory has it I should be in the "A" band for all the analog stations in Detroit, I mean I can actually see the tower on a couple of them if I look in the right direciton.  However most of 'em are not all that good.

When I switch from channel #  to Channel #-1  You could cut yourself on the picture it's that sharp and clear

I got my 3rd converter coupon and will order a DTV PAL-Plus tomorrow.  The DTV Pal can be controlled by a Replay TV (It thinks it's a DISH NEtwork receiver) and the Pal Plus can automatically change channels under it's own control

That will give two receivers that accept extrnal commands from the Replay and one that I can lock on 4-2 (Which (I can not select with a Replay)  I think I'm going to be very happy with this hookup.

If anyone is looking for a converter box that will send HDTV signals to your HD "compatible" TV this is a nice one.  It costs $75 at Amazon.  We have a Sharp 30" HD compatible (no HD tuner) TV and a DirecTV tuner box but we also wanted HDTV from our Winegard crank up rooftop antenna so we bought the:  "Coby DTV-140 ASTC High Definition Set Top Box" from Amazon.  We also bought the additional Winegard HD antenna that fits on your current crank up Wineard antenna.  Just GOOGLE Winegard to find it.  With our MH in the garage we only received 2/3s of the available thru-the-air HD stations.  After the new antenna attachment was installed we now get then all so it definitely improved the signal reception.

JerryF

I went to CW, they installed a pass through converter ($80 installed, less $40 gumitt rebate) . Tried the batwing sitting at home where before I could only get two stations. Now receive 7 or 8 and better reception.  Also hooked up to cable without doing anything other than turning the converter off. Works perfect !

Jack.

I hate to say this but IMHO if Winegard is representing their antenna to be a HD antenna then they are misrepresenting the product and should be called to task.

Ron,

I just checked their website and I don't think Winegard is saying their regular through-the-air batwing antenna is high definition, only that it is digital.  Like you, we've had our batwing antenna for a long time - before they even started sending high definition TV signals - so we really can't expect it to be high def.  Like Jerry said earlier the reception in the garage is much improved since adding the click-on "thingie" to the antenna.  We were really surprised at the improvement.

ArdraF

I suspect it may be an amplifier or even just a tunned piece the put on the antenna but there is just no such thing as a Digital or HD antenna.  It may be an improvement to their existing antenna but to call it anything but that IMHO is stretching it.

Ron said:
I hate to say this but IMHO if Winegard is representing their antenna to be a HD antenna then they are misrepresenting the product and should be called to task.

Well Ron, as much as I respect your opinion.. On this one you are wrong

Current television (Analog) is divided into 3 major bands, VHF-Low band (2 through six) VHF Hi-Band) 7 through 13) and UHF originally 13 to 83, now 13 through 69 (They moved any stations in the 70's and 80's and re-sold the frequency several years ago)

The Winegard antenna is a tri-bander, covering all 3 bands, though I do admit it's not as good in UHF as it is in VHF unless you add the Wingman upgade,  then per independent testing it's about the same on both.

Digital TV is going to be, mostly UHF channels 14 through 59, in a few markets, mostly major cities, they will use VHF, mostly VHF HIgh band,

There are several posters who are posting links to a chart, which describes where stations are going (They say) it actually describes where they are now.. Come june I think that chart will be history

But the fact is they are all going to be remaining in the VHF/UHF television spectrum  which is what the Winegard antenna is designed to receive

THe mode, Digital or analog, does not, to the antenna, make a bit of difference, NONE at all

Are there better Digital antennas.. YES, I suspect there are.  The DX-Antenna looks very interesting however i"m not sure if it has the range RVers need being as we tend toward more "Rual" areas.

Now this antenna is truly a digital, However it too has it's limits and advantages.

The advantage.. If you have a converter such as the ACCESS HD which has what looks for all the world like a phone jack on the back (IT is an RJ_series jack, I've enot looked close enough to tell you which one) it can talk back to the antenna's electronics and the antenna will point itself, electronically for best signal. 

This sounds fantastic,  The flip side is one antenna per customer (Receiver) so if you have two TV's you need two Antennas

ON the other hand the Echostar DTV PAL + (Which I think I'm going to love) does talk back to the Smart Antenna (But it will work fine with the Winegard antenna and manual pointing)

I have not yet looked at the back side of the Insignia to see if it has that jack.  I should be able to do that virtually in a couple of seconds Nope the Insignia (Which is identical to the Zenith) does not have a smart antenna interface either.. Alas when I go full time it's going to be the Insignia and the DTV Pal + I take with me, not the Access HD (Unless the hacker codes for the Access.. Short explanation.  ReplayTV no longer updates my DVR's to work with additional (new) hardware.  There is a Hacker who has taken over, he does good work and he has coded for the Insignia/zenith, but not for the Access..  The DTV pal speaks Dish-network and Scientific Atlanta so I can run it.

John you know there isn't an antenna that can distinguish between a digital or a analog signal.  It the signal is there and the antenna is tunned properly the signal will be received in either case.

Must be that Hi-Def oxygen-free coax that makes the difference.... :)

Ron said:
John you know there isn't an antenna that can distinguish between a digital or a analog signal.  It the signal is there and the antenna is tunned properly the signal will be received in either case.

Right, that is what I said, to the antenna it's all RF, it don't care if it's analog, digital, encrypted, open, or what, SSB, CW, Video, Audio, Data, to the antenna it is all the same

The only difference are the new "Smart" antennas, these antennas point themselves for best signal based on feedback from selected digital receivers.

Now these antennas, like all antennas, work just as well with analog.. Only there are no analog receivers that can feed back signal info to them so they can not auto-point.

The difference, however, as always, is in the receiver, not the antenna

John In Detroit said:
....the Echostar DTV PAL + (Which I think I'm going to love) does talk back to the Smart Antenna (But it will work fine with the Winegard antenna and manual pointing)

John, I couldn't find anywhere on the web that claimed that this converter could talk to the "smart antenna".  It does claim to have an enhanced receiver for better reception :eek: ::)  Do you have more info?

John In Detroit said:
The DTV pal speaks Dish-network and Scientific Atlanta so I can run it.

I'm almost afraid to ask what this is supposed to mean...  so I won't

I thought I specifically said the DTV Pal + Could NOT talk to a smart antenna

I have 3 converters

Insignia/Zenith by Goldstar: NO smart antenna connection

Access HD (I have no clue who makes it) HAS a smart antenna connection

DTV PAL +  No smart antenna connection

I said *IF* your converter or receiver has the ability to chat with a smart antenna, then they can auto-point for best signal  IF your converter can control them

The DTV pal can not,  nor can the Insignia or Zenith

When I say the DTV-PAL speaks Dishnetwork or Scientific Atlanta.

I really mean it understands the REMOTE codes for those makes of satellite or cable dishes

So when setting up my digital video recorder to talk to it I choose "Dishnetwork Detroit" and then Echostar as my receiver and that gave me the proper control codes for the unit. so the DVR can choose a channel

Of all the coverter boxes Echostar set theirs up so it will accept commands from an external DVR,  if you want 4-2 you send one of four strings to it
4-2 (Enter is optional)
0042 (enter is again optional)

And it switches to the channel you want

John In Detroit said:
I thought I specifically said the DTV Pal + Could NOT talk to a smart antenna

Check you post for what you really said. 

John In Detroit said:
When I say the DTV-PAL speaks Dishnetwork or Scientific Atlanta.  I really mean it understands the REMOTE codes for those makes of satellite or cable dishes.

Ah! understood......  thanks...

I install these things everyday in RV's.
In our area (Yuma, Az) the three local stations are broadcasting analog on channels 9,11,13 which are in the VHF specturm.
Currently they are broadcasting their digital channels on UHF channels 16,28,41 with a low power 1000 watt transmitter.
Now in June when they make the conversion they will turn off both of these transmitters and turn on their new High powered 100,000 watt digital transmitters which will then be broadcasting back on the VHF channels 9,11,13.
Everyone will then have to rescan for digital channels.

What I am saying is that this applies to most of the markets across the country. When the conversion does take place most of our reception problems will go away.
I just wish they would make the conversion now!!!

We have another Spanish language channel that is already broadcasting on the full power transmitter. That channel comes in strong any where in the area. Another town 40 East of us (Wellton, Az) can't get any TV channels in analog or digital except the one Spanish channel. Once the other stations switch they will then get all of the Digital channels.

Most of my problems with the Winegard Batwing antenna is in the cable in the antenna itself. It is a cheap RG59 and there is always a splice close to the antenna usually buried in the roof and ithe barrel connector is always corroded. Believe it or not water can wick down inside of the cable. I cut the RG59, strip about 2' s of the shielding and tie the center conductor to a new RG6 and carefully use the old wire to pull a new coax through the square tubing of the antenna. Replace the connector on the coax in the roof and connect with  a good quality barrel connector. Only use the new compression connectors. NEVER use the connectors that screw on the coax, they are junk.

Be careful when hooking up to a video selector box that has a built in power supply. The power supply sends 12 volts to the amplifier located inside of the antenna. The digital converter box must be connected after the power supply.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom