EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Another carpet question  (Read 4173 times)

steveandbernie

• ---
Another carpet question
« on: January 08, 2009, 01:57:58 PM »
I wrote a while back about replacing carpet with carpet tiles. We did some research and looked at several possibilities. Unfortunatley, it was going to be cost prohibitive at this time. We just had to repalce tires ,do a brake job and have a basement door replaced. We are back to installing a remnant piece through the front and back hallway which is considerably less expensive then carpet tiles.

My question:has there been anyone who has installed their own carpet? How difficult of a job was it on a scale of 1 - 10? Do you have any tips?
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor - now own
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor - 6 years
1994 Jayco Fold Down - 9 years

Ernie Ekberg

• ---
Re: Another carpet question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:54:07 PM »
I have installed my own carpet. AND thousands of other carpet/wood jobs. Tell me what coach you have and I'll do my best to walk you thru it. Ernie
Ernie Ekberg, Weatherford, Tx
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
www.ernieekbergflooring.net

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 06:03:13 PM »
Have you ever installed any carpet before?  Carpet work isn't rocket science, but like any trade there are skills to be  learned thru experience, preferably experience gained while working with someone who has done it before.

Rvs involve a lot of cutting and fitting, which is the skill part of carpeting.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 11:19:54 PM »
I watched and helped(?) Ernie do my carpet last summer and NO way would I try to do it alone.  He made it look easy.   :)
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Ernie Ekberg

• ---
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 07:06:24 AM »
You are right, Gary, carpet installation is not rocket science-- rather-- with me holding a razor- like surgery. Dr Ern

steveandbernie

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 12:28:07 PM »
I have installed my own carpet. AND thousands of other carpet/wood jobs. Tell me what coach you have and I'll do my best to walk you thru it. Ernie

Thanks Ernie: My husband has put new carpet on our stairs in our home. Thats about it. He has worked this week removing furniture and carpeting. That certainly was a BIG job. He's been out of work the past 3 months, so this had to be a do it yourself job! He probably would have done it himself anyway, though. ;D

We own a 1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE. He is working with one of my sons today installing. My son has done some carpet install. We will see how it goes. Is there anything in particular they need to know?

I will check back later today.

Thanks so much for your kind offer. It is really appreciated.

steveandbernie

• ---
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 07:52:05 PM »
Just an update on the carpet install. My husband and son worked on it this afternoon and it turned out great! The doghouse and bedroom still need to be done, but that will be another day. WOW, what a difference a remnant makes. I wish I had taken "before" pictures. Thanks for your replies in previous posts!

Ernie Ekberg

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »
This would be a good time, when you do the doghouse to insulate it- if it doesn't have any. That will really cut down on noise and heat transfer. The doghouse has many outside rounded corners and can be really tricky to get all the seams to look good. Make sure you have a sharp knife and don't install berber on that doghouse. Those edges will ravel till the cows come home.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 09:29:31 PM »
Glad to hear it came out well. I'll bet you are tickled pink!  A job well done that you (or hubby) did yourself is always a bit special!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network