Another carpet question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wrote a while back about replacing carpet with carpet tiles. We did some research and looked at several possibilities. Unfortunatley, it was going to be cost prohibitive at this time. We just had to repalce tires ,do a brake job and have a basement door replaced. We are back to installing a remnant piece through the front and back hallway which is considerably less expensive then carpet tiles.

My question:has there been anyone who has installed their own carpet? How difficult of a job was it on a scale of 1 - 10? Do you have any tips?

I have installed my own carpet. AND thousands of other carpet/wood jobs. Tell me what coach you have and I'll do my best to walk you thru it. Ernie

Have you ever installed any carpet before?  Carpet work isn't rocket science, but like any trade there are skills to be  learned thru experience, preferably experience gained while working with someone who has done it before.

Rvs involve a lot of cutting and fitting, which is the skill part of carpeting.

You are right, Gary, carpet installation is not rocket science-- rather-- with me holding a razor- like surgery. Dr Ern

Ernie Ekberg said:
I have installed my own carpet. AND thousands of other carpet/wood jobs. Tell me what coach you have and I'll do my best to walk you thru it. Ernie

Thanks Ernie: My husband has put new carpet on our stairs in our home. Thats about it. He has worked this week removing furniture and carpeting. That certainly was a BIG job. He's been out of work the past 3 months, so this had to be a do it yourself job! He probably would have done it himself anyway, though. ;D

We own a 1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE. He is working with one of my sons today installing. My son has done some carpet install. We will see how it goes. Is there anything in particular they need to know?

I will check back later today.

Thanks so much for your kind offer. It is really appreciated.

Just an update on the carpet install. My husband and son worked on it this afternoon and it turned out great! The doghouse and bedroom still need to be done, but that will be another day. WOW, what a difference a remnant makes. I wish I had taken "before" pictures. Thanks for your replies in previous posts!

This would be a good time, when you do the doghouse to insulate it- if it doesn't have any. That will really cut down on noise and heat transfer. The doghouse has many outside rounded corners and can be really tricky to get all the seams to look good. Make sure you have a sharp knife and don't install berber on that doghouse. Those edges will ravel till the cows come home.

Back
Top Bottom