tent or popup trailer recommendations needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Godward

My daughter is looking for a tent or popup trailer, used, and needs recommendations of good units.  She is in western WA state so possible sources would be nice too.

There are lots of things to consider, even in a pop-up.  How many people will it need to sleep?  Refrigerator or ice-box.  Will they be going where heat is necessary?  Storage space requirements.  Air conditioning can be added to most pop-ups, if needed/desired.  Some of the larger units have a slide out that could be nice for a large family.

Will she be capable of cranking it up.  Not all units can have a motorized crank-up installed. 

Most all pop-up manufactures make good units.  It is mainly a matter of what they are looking for.  Outdoor travel shows generally have a lot of pop-ups to look at and knowledgeable sales people to help narrow the decisions.

Jim, if Bev's back cooperates, a pup may be the only RV we can afford. So, I've been reviewing my work experience and what I added to it over the last two decades.

[I remember Pat had back problems. . . Bev is back to being bent in the shape of an "L" and extreme pain. They X-rayed late Thurs but had no report by the end of Fri. :( ]

Having worked for Starcraft and Coachmen during their pups heyday --including the Viking which was Coachman's only pup until late '73, I know a lot about them.  Starcraft also produced their upscale Venture pup with vinal instead of canvas tenting.

All this started with the with the Bethany, the best of the 60-70's, followed by the Apache --1 wheel, go anywhere, bed platforms and that was it. Pull it as far as the jeep could go and set up your sight with Coleman lantern, stove, etc. If you can find a used Bethany, that would be special.

Where is she? how many will use it? hot or cold country? A good overview is found here: >http://www.campingearth.com/popups/<

Actually, with all the great gear available including portable showers, an heir to the Apache now exists: the Jumping Jack. It serves as a utility trailer as well!
>http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/tent-trailer.cfm< There are four dealers in MT: Missoula, Bozeman, Helena [Sportsman's Warehouses,] and Dillon. Go take a look if it would fit her need and a new one would have warranty. Actually, if someone would be willing to pull it behind their 4x4 toad, it would make a great chuck wagon for off road trips in the desert or the mountains

Used, Coleman has been the top of the pack and certainly the most well known since '90. There are some other good units like Starcraft, Jayco and Viking have used ones around. IMO, avoid used Dutchmen. A woman in Madrid NM bout one and joined the forum in 96? but it was almost junk. The '70 Palomino I bought in '70. Jan, wasn't a lemon, it was a grove! Nevertheless, I pulled it on three trips, two a week each and one 30 day trip to the Cabot trail and tip of Nova Scotia and still had a blast!

If she's alone, those pups with slide outs, etc might ba a lot of work if she moves every day. But, it was so much fun we're considering it. [I still rather have a Itaska Navion turbo diesel (or Jayco 34SS duromax diesel) and really have little work to do!]

I owned a 1983 Starcraft and a 1994 Jayco pup.  The Starcraft was built better.  She should check Craigslist locally - there are dozens for sale in Virginia right now.

Pups are interesting - they are either real easy to put up and take down or really hard to.  She should work with the owner to make sure she knows how to do everything and does it herself before she pulls away with it at least twice.  She should also have the owner demonstrate everything - running off shore power and running off battery (if installed).

Her first most important consideration is the capacity of her towing vehicle.  That will determine how much weight she can look at purchasing.  Then, under the weight limitations, she will want to check out floor plans - which can be done online at the various websites (Jayco, Fleetwood/Coleman, Starcraft, etc.).  If she likes a floor plan and is able to view the unit, she will want to lay on the bunks, sit on the potty, fake preparing a meal/washing dishes to see if the floor plan/amenities will work for her and family.l

Does her tow vehicle have a heavy duty tow package (hitch, wiring for brake controller, tranny cooler, etc.).  Many PUPs have electric brakes which require the tow vehicle to have a brake controller.  Depending upon her tow vehicle, she may want a friction sway bar installed too.

Hope this info helps.  I've got an 06 Fleetwood Niagara popup, and love the amenties (2 ks bunks, furnace, AC, hardwalled potty/shower, glide out dinette, add-a-room, 3 burner range/oven, 3-way refrigerator/freezer and twin bowl sink, microwave).  I tow it primarily with my Dodge Ram 1500 pickup with no problems.  I can also tow it with my 2000 Durango, but the Durango is slightly narrower, so I attach mirrors. 

Great advise on the tow capacity Pattie!

When Jim posted his question for his daughter, I know he wasn't thinking about this reminder; for, as a retired engineer in support of NASA, that's SOP for Dads>kids. ;D  It's sorta like my Karen asking about how to raise our grandsons with good values --I'd first say, "What church are you attending?" before I'd ask other grandparents here about what they did in this kind of situation.  ;) ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom