Moniker/Handle Name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
I've noticed in a couple of threads where folks have explained how they came up with their moniker/handles here on the Forum.  Some names are pretty straight forward...like mine.  Whereas others, who are more creative than I am, have come up with clever monikers. 

So for fun, would you explain how you choose your moniker/handle.

Marsha~

Good idea, Marsha! 

I've often wondered how some of the forum names were derived.  Mine is pretty obvious.  Even though Tom doesn't participate in the forum, he has attended and enjoyed many forum gatherings over the years, so it seemed appropriate to add his name to my "handle". 

Margi

Okay: My then-little boy and I were playing a game called Pirates. We had had pie for dessert that evening. I like pie. He told me I needed a name, besides my real name, to use in the game. "Pierat" came to mind and it stuck for an occasional screen name as well. - John

Now see...I thought you were french and the name was pronounced like the bottled water... ;)  I know more about you now...you are a rat for pies....<ducking>

Marsha~

I used to ride with a motorcycle club and earned the nickname "Luca Brasi" after a character in the book THE GODFATHER.  The 13th letter of the alphabet is "M" for motorcycle, and 69 stands for 1969, the year of one of my favorite motorcycles that I owned.

Steve

While planning for my trip of a lifetime to Alaska I read a "blog" by a gentleman who made a motorcycle trip to Alaska and back.  I noticed his cycle license plate number was a version of "OnaQuest" (actually ONAQWST).  I chose that plate for my Bounder and now use it for most login names I might need.  My toad's plate says "me too".

I'm beginning to feel decidedly uncreative  :-[

^^ Heh, mine is just a little creativity with my name with some internet-ish use thrown in.  "scotty", my nickname as a kid, followed by my middle and last initials.  All in lowercase because that's how it's done on the internet.  ;)  When I started using this name variety, it was scottyL... turned out that was often already taken at various e-mails and websites I tried, so I changed it to something more unique that I could always get.  I use it everywhere online.

Tom said:
I'm beginning to feel decidedly uncreative  :-[

Not me Tom like you I use my name.  Why, I just feel more like friends when folks I am communicating with use their name instead of an alias.

[quote author=scottydl].... it was scottyL... turned out that was often already taken at various e-mails and websites I tried....[/quote]

He he, join the club. I was able to snag TomJ at one of our prior hosts many years ago, but things changed when they were acquired by AOL. I finally got desperate and tried Disney characters, but others had beat me to it. I could get mickeymouse972349871 or donaldduck3827152309, neither of which seemed any better than tomj42865141827.

I also managed to snag welshman (my heritage) at my first cable modem provider (we happened to be one of 3 beta cities for the first cable modem service). The company was sold several times, and I managed to hang onto the name until they were eventually acquired by Comcast who already had someone with that name. Their offer was T...J...123x, but that's when I got creative.

Having our own server, forum software, and email system made it easy, especially since I was first here  ;D

Tom said:
Having our own server, forum software, and email system made it easy, especially since I was first here  ;D

Sure glad my name isn't Tom :D

I'm glad we don't have a minimum number of characters for the name  ;D

I guess I'm not much more creative than Tom, Ron, or Ned.  I had a career in marketing and always made it clear that I never had a creative thought in my life, but was always willing to expand upon the ideas of others, shamelessly.   

I started using mine around 20 years ago when I was a regular in a Genealogy chatroom, as you can guess it is merely an abreviation of Halifax Canadian, where I called home, but now call where my stick house is located

I make pancakes.  Back in the compuserve days we typically used names which were First name, Initial/state.  I was BillW/RI for many years.  Your compuserve ID was issued, 5 digit;4 digit.  I can almost come up with mine. 

PancakeBill said:
I make pancakes.  Back in the compuserve days we typically used names which were First name, Initial/state.  I was BillW/RI for many years.  Your compuserve ID was issued, 5 digit;4 digit.  I can almost come up with mine. 

Pshaw -- no problem.  73317,3417 or just 73 to my friends.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom