Tire blowout protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wkndfun said:
We added the RV to our AAA plus plan. I need to check out coachnet and see the differences.

Don't forget to check for a roadside assistance option in your RV insurance also.  And don't assume that the insurance carrier for your car is the best option for your RV.  I have 2 cars and the RV, and a different insurance carrier on each one because it was cheapest that way.  And the roadside assistance clause through Progressive (covers the RV) has no monetary limits and a liberal mileage allowance.  It may not cover everything that Coachnet would, but for our weekend/vacation use our insurance coverage is more than enough.

RV Roamer said:
Don,
There should be a sticker on the wall  near the driver seat or on the door post on the driver side that specifies the maximum axle weights and the psi needed to support that weight. Use that if you can find it. Otherwise, use the max psi stated on the tire sidewall.  That will be enough to handle the tire's max load capacity. The only drawback to doing so in a harsher ride and the possibility of the tire wearing more quickly in the center than on the edges.

Thanks, I will check on Wednesday when I am back at the Reno home, where the motorhome now lives. If I have to go for the max as stated on the sidewalls, I will know if that's too much when the tires start to wear more in the center. But I will get it weighted as soon as I drive by a truck stop where it can be weighted.

-Don- in warm San Francisco​

Ned said:
I don't know of any towing limits, they'll take you to the nearest qualified service center.  The cost is about $99/year, as I recall, with discounts for multi-year memberships.  We paid $273.50 for a 3 year membership in 2007.  The advantages are many, as I described, over AAA.  Check out their web site for more information.

I like the AAA Premier Membership I have because I often drive (cars, truck, SUV) between my South SF home and my home near Reno, NV which is about 225 miles and a Premier membership wiill tow me 200 miles. Two summers ago, my Jeep broke a pulley (they are often made out of plastic these days!) about half way between the homes. I was towed the rest of the way where I could fix it myself in my garage.

I have also called AAA a couple of times for my old 22 footer RV and had no problems. I was stuck in the sand once. The other time, the engine blew a rod and the RV was towed across the state of NV from one end to the other. However, only part of that was covered by AAA, I had to pay a thousand bucks more to get the RV to Reno from the Utah-NV border on I-80. That was with a couple of doggies, which can be a hassle when there's such a breakdown. That was when I was a AAA PLus member, which only towed 100 miles without charge. I recently changed to being a AAA Premier member, which will tow 200 miles. I think AAA only recently started to offer that.

I don't really see what advantage Coach-net would be for me, as long as AAA will tow my 24 foot RV for 200 miles, to wherever I want,  with no extra charge.  I looked at the Coach-net webiste and there was a lot of print that said very little, IMO

-Don- San Francisco​

Don,
From what I have read on this forum and others, the level of service you will get from AAA for a RV is highly dependent on the services provided by the AAA club that controls the region you are in when you need service.  Some people have reported that AAA would not provide any service for an RV even though the AAA member had membership that included RVs.

My personal experience with AAA has been mixed. Prior to purchasing a class C last year, I research AAA for RVs and Good Sam ERS (we were already AAA members for our cars).  I kept my AAA car coverage and purchased Good Sam ERS.  Shortly after purchasing the class C I was ready to hit the road early one morning and decided to crank the engine to let it warm up for a minute.  That is when learned that the prior owner had put in an after-market keyless entry that locked the doors when the ignition key is turned on.  So, I start the engine, close the door for a moment to say my goodbyes, then go to leave and the door is locked.  All doors were locked, my Good Sam info and all spare keys were also locked in (I had just purchased the RV and did not yet have a hide-a-key).  I had my AAA card in my wallet and called.  In desperation, knowing that my membership did not cover the RV, I tried to avoid telling them it was an RV.  I told them it was a Chevy 3500 and that did not work (I did not think to say it was a 1-ton van).  Finally, when I told them it was an RV, they said they could not help.  I expected that.

My real disappointment came when I asked the AAA operator if she could help me find the number of Good Sam ERS.  She had no idea what I was talking about.  I told her that, if she had internet access, I could walk her through how to find the number.  She told me that she could not do that.  I  thought that a couple of minutes on the internet to help a member with a problems was a reasonable request.

I called a local locksmith and had the vehicle unlocked.  After I got home I called Good Sam ERS, explained what happened, and asked if I could get reimbursed for the locksmith charge.  I was given a form to send in and a few weeks later I received a check.

Also, AAA does not cover vehicles that you are towing.  I have had two flats with my boat trailer.  One time AAA offered absolutely no help and the other time they did help find a place that I could take the boat to get tires.

As a result of my experience, I do not plan to renew my AAA membership.  Good Sam ERS covers all my vehicles and my boat.  I see no reason to keep AAA.  I am considering changing from Good Sam ERS to Coach-Net based on the positive comments from some of the other forum members about Coach_Net.

Best wishes,
Delbert

"Some people have reported that AAA would not provide any service for an RV even though the AAA member had membership that included RVs."

By any chance was that here in California?  I think I heard, years ago, that AAA sometimes has a problem with RV's in CA but not in other states. I don't remember why. However, I was stuck in sand in CA in my old Class C and AAA got me towed out. 

The most important thing to me is the 200 mile tow.  I don't think any others do that. And so far, I have not been rejected for AAA service in my one ton van (Class C RV). The tow truck doesn't seem to care as they get paid from AAA.  You just have to get past the AAA telephone operator and it seems the "one ton van" trick always works. At least it has for me the couple of times I called them, even in CA.

I might not be so easy to get away with that if you're in a 40 foot class A.

-Don- San Francisco, CA​

AAA is over 50 different groups (more than one per state) and each district is different

here in S.E. Michigan you can get RV coverage but... EXPENSIVE

Some other states you can get RV coverage.. Not expensive

Some states, No RV coverage

A lot depends on the contract towing companies.. I mean "Scot's Towing" has one truck, it's a small one,  Modern SUV's are a bit much for it. A Caddy El-D or Lincoln Mark x is a bit muchfor it.  now a Chevy Nova.. That he can tow.

If all the contract tows are like Scot's (NOTE: this is an actually company) they are not going to do RV's

On the other hand.. JT Crova (Another actually company) has tow trucks that can pick up a fully loaded Semi Truck.

and the local Coast Net contractor (Gouch and Sons) can as well.

DonTom said:
But how about in Canada? I plan on taking my RV up to Canada sometime this summer.

-Don-  San Francisco

I believe they do cover Canada but I am not positive.  Call Coachnet and ask.  If you are a member of FMCA you do get a discount.

I Emailed Coach-net and this is thier reply:

Hi Glenn Zobel,

Thank you for inquiring about Coach-Net.  Please see below for more information on why we are the most trusted name in the RV industry.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

All-Inclusive Coverage

We?ve got you and your family covered?

Your membership will include coverage on your RV and all other personal vehicles (including motorcycles) - owned, rented or borrowed! 

24/7 Unlimited Road Service Coverage

Towing, Flat Tire Assistance, Fluid Delivery, Jumpstarts, Lockout Service, Mobile Mechanic, Appointment Assistance?

No Mileage or Dollar Amount Limits- no out-of-pocket costs!

24/7 RV Technical Assistance

Don?t be fooled by the competition ? our team of in-house ASE--RVIA/RVDA Certified and Master Certified Technicians continues to be on-top with unmatched and unwavering support.  Our technical staff is the most knowledgeable by far and has the certifications to prove it.

The Coach-Net difference?

No third parties - no hassle!  For over 22 years, Coach-Net has been the preferred Technical and Roadside Assistance provider to the RV industry.  We are the call center; our agents know you and your RV.

All-Access Concierge Services

Consider Coach-Net your own personal assistant, guiding you to the best places in your travels- on or off the road.

Unsurpassed Service?with over 40,000 service providers.

?        Unlimited Towing

?        Unlimited Tire Assistance

?        Unlimited Delivery of Fuel and Emergency Fluids

?        Unlimited Locksmith / Lockout Service

?        Unlimited Jumpstarts

?        Unlimited RV Mobile Mechanic

?        Unlimited RV Service Appointment Assistance

?Why settle for Good service when you can have the BEST!?

Although it's obviously a canned reply, we have used many of those described services and the statements are all true.

Ned said:
Although it's obviously a canned reply, we have used many of those described services and the statements are all true.

I think perhaps the best for me would be to have both, AAA as well as Coachnet. That can even extend the miles I can be towed. I often like vehicles towed to one of my own homes where I can work on them myself (depends on what's wrong and where I am stuck, of course!). Also, that they will tow motorcycles is a plus, as I own several.

$99.00 per year sounds like a good deal. About half of what I have been paying AAA for their Premier Membership (200 mile tow to wherever I ask).

BTW, here are some photos of how I installed my Pressure Pro system sensors to the hub cabs. It required four extender hoses (two in series for each valve) in each side of the rear dual tires.

I am impressed with the accuracy. All tires show within 3 psi of the actual tire pressure as measured with a high quality digital tire gauge.

-Don- (South SF, CA)​

Attachments

• frontwheels.jpg
    frontwheels.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 36
  • rearwheels.jpg
    rearwheels.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 30
I can see those rear sensors getting knocked off very easily,  probably even the front ones also.

Lou (onaquest) said:
I can see those rear sensors getting knocked off very easily,  probably even the front ones also.

I can see them getting ripped off (stolen), but how would they get knocked off?

-Don- SSF, CA​

Ever scuff a tire on a curb?  Ever have to give more than your share of a narrow country road?  Ever find a scratch on one of those shiny hub caps?  Any of those fake lug nut covers have any unexplained dings in them? 

Just a thought, but I prefer a more "low profile" installation.

It might be a concern to some but from our experience we have never had a sensor knocked off or stolen and am not aware of anybody that has.

The difference is on our wheels the sensors are inside the wheel and not subject to hitting anything, unless it gets inside the wheel.  On Don's, the sensors are outside the wheel covers.

On my coach I did not use extenders, that puts the PP's down inside on the duals and inside the simulator (What you call hub cap) on the front... I like them there

Where you got em .... Well, there was once a doctor who invented a more humane method of execution, his name is rarely spoken proudly following the French Revolution where his invention got entierly too much use..

But his name is also used in the generic for what IS going to happen to those sensors

Dr. Guillotine

Has any one used the tire pressure sensors that are now being advertised at Camping World.  On the surface, it looks like a Pressure Pro clone to me.

Lowell said:
Has any one used the tire pressure sensors that are now being advertised at Camping World.  On the surface, it looks like a Pressure Pro clone to me.

We haven't since we already purchased ours from Bernie and have the advantage of Bernie's excellent support if needed right here.

Back
Top Bottom