Tire blowout protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lou (onaquest) said:
Ever scuff a tire on a curb?  Ever have to give more than your share of a narrow country road?  Ever find a scratch on one of those shiny hub caps?  Any of those fake lug nut covers have any unexplained dings in them? 

Just a thought, but I prefer a more "low profile" installation.

I was hoping that was what you would say. None of that stuff is a real issue to me. If I manage to knock one or two sensors / extender valve stems off at 5 MPH, I don't really care all that much. I carry two spare extender hoses and they are not really needed as I can always remove them. Seems the worse thing that can happen is I lose a sensor or two. I can buy a couple of spare sensors too, just in case.

I was more concerned if they could somehow be snapped off at freeway speeds. While I see how that's possible, (perhaps by a rock shooting out from a tire, perhaps from my own front) I think it would be extremely unlikely to hit the valve stem.

However, I also understand how weird coincidences happen. The other day, in one of my cars, I got a nail in a rather new tire that had once before picked up a nail. This second nail hit dead center of the patch that was no more than two months old. That means this rather new tire (perhaps 1,500 or so miles on it) had to be junked as you cannot safely repatch where there's been a patch. What were the odds of that?

-Don- South San Francisco, CA​

Last night, I joined Coach-Net. One of the questions they asked was "Social Club". What are they asking about?

I just typed in a "what?" and it was accepted. It has an asterisk, meaning it required an answer to continue. But what where they really asking?

My E-mail said I successfully joined them.

BTW, I am going to carry all the stuff with me to change my tires. I will carry a 6,000 LB hydraulic jack, spare tire and a decent air compressor. I have a Campbell Hausfeld MT300009 tankless air compressor that I really like and would like to buy another, but it has been discontinued.

Who makes a decent (usually costs more than a hundred bucks) 120 VAC tankless air compressor that can fill up a RV tire to 80 LBS without it taking a half hour?

-Don- (SSF, CA)​

They were asking for an affiliation with FMCA, Escapees, etc.

"They were asking for an affiliation with FMCA, Escapees, etc."

Oh, thanks. I didn't know they were called "social clubs"

But I wonder why an answer was required. I guess "none" would have been the correct answer for me.

-Don-​

Lowell said:
Has any one used the tire pressure sensors that are now being advertised at Camping World.  On the surface, it looks like a Pressure Pro clone to me.

Those are for the Hopkins Tire Pressure Monitoring System. I doubt if they will be compatible with a Pressure Pro System.

-Don- SSF, CA​

Tom said:
The only way to determine correct tire inflation pressure is to weigh each corner and consult the respective tire manufacturer's inflation tables. Here's a brief article on correct tire inflation pressure in our library.

Do some truck scales weight all four tires separately at once? In my old 11,500 lbs rig, I had it weighted once, front and rear at a truck stop in Sacramento.

What's a good place to go to get all four corners weighted?

-Don-SSF, CA​

Don, some weigh scales will allow you weigh side to side and each corner. However, the scales at some truck stops are elevated, so you can't do individual sides or corners. Look for scales at a landscape materials yard. There is an organization that takes portable scales around some of the rallies, and I believe they can weigh corners.

Lou (onaquest) said:
I can see those rear sensors getting knocked off very easily,  probably even the front ones also.

Now that I am back at my Reno home, I took a close look at my sensors. It would not be possible for the worse driver to knock off those sensors without serious damage to the rest of the RV first. The sensors are even with the outside of the RV, so they do not stick out at all. I would have to damage the entire side of the RV to get to the sensors on either the front or rear wheels. The outside tires are well withing the wheel well, so even with the sensors, they are not sticking out past the rest of the RV.

-Don- (Reno, NV)​

DonTom, I'm glad you feel comfortable with your sensor installation.  I wouldn't.

Lou (onaquest) said:
DonTom, I'm glad you feel comfortable with your sensor installation.  I wouldn't.

I don't understand why, other than they are easy to steal.

-Don- Reno

No one has bothered mine or anyone I know except two sensors taken from a friend's pickup in Mexico.

Back
Top Bottom