Kwikee Entry Door Step 'Storage' Procedure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richard 34A

What is the best way to put the entry door into 'storage' mode? When I turn off the motor, turn off the disconnect switch, put the entry door into the 'off' position, I enter into this game of trying to get the step into the closed (retracted) position so the step doesn't open up and stay out when I close the door behind me. By default, it wants to extend so I can exit the MH but then it wants to stay out once I close the door. I like it to stay retracted and then carefully exit without the step.

Thanks in advance...

If the power is on to my step it goes in automatically when the door is closed. To allow it to stay out I have to turn the power switch off, which is inside right next to the door. There is an automatic override which retracts the steps automatically whenever the engine is started regardless of the power switch.
I stored my old steps in the out position for the winter but found that this caused them to rust more so now I store with the steps retracted.

Woody

My setup is similar to Woody's.  I would set the switch to the position that makes them retract when the door is closed.  Think that is best for storage.

If there is power to move 'em out there is power to move 'em in, the Step switch is either a power switch, or an override switch

In either case if the steps are IN when you turn it off, they should stay in or move back in when the door is closed.

On my rig for assorted reasons I added a toggle switch that makes the system THINK the steps are closed, this is basically shorting out (As I recall) the door switch (NOTE: some  systems you short the door switch, some you "open" it, to make it think the door is closed)  This prevents the steps from extending if I'm near a high crub for example where partial extension is.. Well, more dangerous than keeping them full in

John In Detroit said:
If there is power to move 'em out there is power to move 'em in, the Step switch is either a power switch, or an override switch

In either case if the steps are IN when you turn it off, they should stay in or move back in when the door is closed.

On my rig for assorted reasons I added a toggle switch that makes the system THINK the steps are closed, this is basically shorting out (As I recall) the door switch (NOTE: some  systems you short the door switch, some you "open" it, to make it think the door is closed)  This prevents the steps from extending if I'm near a high crub for example where partial extension is.. Well, more dangerous than keeping them full in

With the door closed, I turn off all switches but I know by default, the entry door is supposed to open to allow exit. But then the step doesn't always retract; I do finally get it closed and then jump out, but only by playing the 'step-is-out, step-is-in' game a few times. There must be a specific sequence that I need to do to eliminate the game...

Woody said:
If the power is on to my step it goes in automatically when the door is closed. To allow it to stay out I have to turn the power switch off, which is inside right next to the door. There is an automatic override which retracts the steps automatically whenever the engine is started regardless of the power switch.....

I think that's how mine operate

That is the "Old style" as far as I know.. What I don't know (Since I have the new style) is if the steps will stay IN as well as OUT with power off.. I suspect they should

As I said, I put in a door-switch override.  it tells the controller "Door closed" EVEN WHEN DOOR OPEN.. That way they stay in

There is a 2-person method to keep 'em in too

When you turn 'em off have a 2nd person stand outside with a spade, stick the point of the spade in teh ground a couple of inches and back it up to the leading edge of the step

Since Kwikee, both old and new, use a current sensor to sense motor overload to turn the motor off when it will sense "Full out" soon as the motor kicks in.. Then you move the spade, open the door the rest of the way and take that giant step to get out

Or you could just tie it back with something

Our Kwikee steps work like this:  when the wall switch is off (light out) the steps will stay in whatever position they're in, open or closed.  With the switch on (light on) the steps will extend when the door is opened and retract when it's closed.  The ignition override will retract the steps regardless of the switch position.

John In Detroit said:
That is the "Old style" as far as I know.. What I don't know (Since I have the new style) is if the steps will stay IN as well as OUT with power off.. I suspect they should
As I said, I put in a door-switch override.  it tells the controller "Door closed" EVEN WHEN DOOR OPEN.. That way they stay in
There is a 2-person method to keep 'em in too
When you turn 'em off have a 2nd person stand outside with a spade, stick the point of the spade in teh ground a couple of inches and back it up to the leading edge of the step
Since Kwikee, both old and new, use a current sensor to sense motor overload to turn the motor off when it will sense "Full out" soon as the motor kicks in.. Then you move the spade, open the door the rest of the way and take that giant step to get out
Or you could just tie it back with something

John, this sounds a lot like the old "How to grill a Carp, recipe".

1- Fillet and butterfly a Carp
2 -Nail the carp to a board
3- Grill until done
4-Throw away the carp
5- Eat the board

Other than that, my only suggestion would be to cut the wire going to the step motor and keeping a three legged milk stool handy to enter and exit the coach.

The more I read about problems, and suggested "fixes" or "work a rounds" the more I think that my old Bounder was wwaaayyyy ahead of it's time. :D :D ;D

no flaming, please, note the smiley faces.... ;)

Methinks that mine works like Ned's, but it does sometimes confuse me, especially when I have the battery switch turned off  :-[

Tom said:
Methinks that mine works like Ned's, but it does sometimes confuse me, especially when I have the battery switch turned off  :-[

....and to add to the confusion, when the battery "disconnect" switch is on, the batteries are "connected"  and vice versa, I think.

John's trick spade (spade trick?) is looking better all the time. ;D ;D 

John's trick spade (spade trick?) is looking better all the time.

I usually (unitentionally) use my shins, but it hurts  :(

The "normal" mode is for the step to open & close with the door. The "override" forces it to stay in whichever position it is in when the switch is set to override, i.e. either In or Out.  In essence, the Override defeats the operation of the door sensor.  I don't think the step is ever actually powered off. For example, even if in the Override mode and the step is out, it should still retract if you started the engine.

One way to do it is to put the switch in the normal position and close the door, so that the step retracts. Then flip the step switch to override, so it does not go out when you open the door. Do whatever else you need to do, then hop down (remember: no step!) and close the door.

If your coach uses either the RV Custom products or the Intellitec Battery control Center, the step motor is under control of the chassis battery disconnect.  i.e. battery disconnected, no motor operation.

On older units (like my '97 Bounder) it is necessary to manually activate the chassis battery (press the disconnect switch) to allow the engine to start which will automatically bring in the step regardless of the override switch setting. 

On newer units, simply turning the key will energize the disconnect relays for both chassis and house batteries (turn the batteries on) and the step will retract.

The operation is exactly as Gary said, with the above conditions. 

I installed the same switch that John has to be able to drop and level the coach at the curb with the door open if I want (This is the newer idiot-proof step that refuses to retract when the door is open).

It can be a really bad day if that step is out when the air bags drain.

Rover: in the old days they called it a POWER switch and it operated just as you describe

Today they call it an OVERRIDE switch and it only works in the OUT position, and in theory with the ignition off

I suspect the O/P has a newer one and when he turns what he thinks is the power switch (from earlier experience) off he is in fact turning the OVERRIDE switch... ON.

John In Detroit said:
Rover: in the old days they called it a POWER switch and it operated just as you describe

Today they call it an OVERRIDE switch and it only works in the OUT position, and in theory with the ignition off

I suspect the O/P has a newer one and when he turns what he thinks is the power switch (from earlier experience) off he is in fact turning the OVERRIDE switch... ON.

My entry door switch is labeled 'on' and 'off'. Using the 'on' position, the step will open and retract as you would expect with the door opening and closing. Using the 'off' position once the step is out keeps the step out and won't retract again until I either flip the switch to 'on' or start the engine. It would seem that once I have the step retracted, the engine is off, the step switch is off and the auxiliary switch is 'off' when I open the door the step wouldn't extend, but it does so you can exit the MH. That would be okay, if it would retract one last time after closing the door but it usually stays out, so I do the step-game, in and out, until it finally stays in and I jump out. Based on a post here, maybe the power to the step is on all the time anyway, where I was thinking that using the 'off' position actually turned off all power to the step to help eliminate power drain when sitting in storage.

That sounds right. And yes, if you want to kill power to the step... Pull the fuse

Just where that is depends on the rig (or install a switch that is a real power switch)

On my coach (A gasser) the step fuse is in the battery control center under the hood.  Your location may vary

Richard, you Kwikee power step won't use any power when in storage...even a trickle.  The motor they use is a late '80s model car power window motor.

Back
Top Bottom