Ceiling fabric coming undone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Steve.. I may be able to contribute a bit to your problem.

My entire ceiling fabric dropped within a few weeks, once it started. Obviously because of the age of the RV and the Florida location.. hot. There is not much you can do to repair it, once it starts. To replace the fabric/redo the works, costs mucho moolah.  The adhesives onto the backing deteriorates and it is over.

Best I can do is to have you read my posts from 2007 to give you an idea, click right here

Even after I fixed it as shown, further areas dropped down later and I simply had to staple them back up. Not neat but then again I have an older RV.

Let us know what you think.

carson FL

If the adhesive has simply failed, you can  re-glue it with the type of adhesive used on car headliners. 3M Upholstery & Headliner Adhesive is probably the best known brand, but most auto parts stores carry at least one brand. It is a spray.

But if the problem is that the backing of the material itself is crumbling (it is sometimes a thin layer of foam or other "polyxxx" material), then it probably needs to be replaced.

What does the material look like? Ozite (a short nap, carpet-like fiber)?  Vinyl/leatherette?  Some sort of cloth?

steves patriot said:
I get glue into the air pocket?
Steve  :)

When I used to work in the flooring industry, I would get rid of bubbles in a vinyl floor by injecting glue into the bubble using a hypodermic and then working the glue throughout the bubble area.  I would get the hypos at a tack store; a hypo like you would use for a horse.  I don't know how that would work on a ceiling, and with the type of glue you would require, but I thought I'd throw that into the mix.

Steve

Two techniques that I know of:

- Injection (as Steve described)
- Cut a slit in the bubble and swab the glue in. When you glue it back down, the slit won't show in the fuzzy material (ozite).

Ironing won't work - it is not a hot melt glue.

If the material is ozite, then you maybe able to cut down the rib of the bubble and then spray some adhesive in there. Make sure it dries and slowly press it back into the ceiling. Like Gary said, the glue used is not hot melt and has dried out to where there is no elasticity left to it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom