Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Wind noise  (Read 6963 times)

peg811948

Wind noise
« on: January 14, 2011, 08:58:55 AM »
Hi all we have purchased a 2011 Adventurer Gas 35ft motorhome, we have terrible wind noise on the passenger side in the window area. Can anyone help resolve this? thanks for any help.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
Re: Wind noise
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 09:06:41 AM »
Hi Peg (assuming that's your first name  ;)) - welcome aboard - glad to have you!

Here's a recent thread about wind noise in a 2011 Adventurer.  I wonder what's going on here since you are the second to check in with a like problem.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Pubtym

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 09:38:03 PM »
I too had significant wind turbulence noise from air pounding against the window glass on both driver and passenger sides. Using a Radio Shack Digital-Display Sound-Level Meter, I pinpointed the soundlevels at various points in the Driver-Passenger cab window areas.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103667

(60 + mph) The driver mirror (Velac) really had turbulent air behind it pounding against  the driver door window. Additionally, the driver door edge (6 inch strip) along the lock mechanism had a poor sound seal. The passenger window had turbulent air pounding the glass behind the mirrror too, bur driver door window was worse.

From my career in avation, my approach to the problem was to somehow smooth out some of the turbulent airflow in-around the mirrors. My first look was at the bug impact splatter lines/zones on both mirrors. Both had offset patterns indicating they were not alligned to best/smoothly meet/divert frontal air. I adjusted both mirrors inward to a position about one inch closer to the side of the  surface of the window glass. This adjustment must be done while you sit in the driver seat so you do not exceed the span of electrical mirror adjustment. This reduced and balanced the bug splatter lines on both mirrors and noticibly reduced wind turbulence pounding on the driver'd door glass.

My second look was at the airflow over the top of the mirror and possibly easing its abrupt treatment of frontal air. I found Velac has a new accessory mirror called the Top Hat.
Eventhough the accessory is primarily desigened as an add-on mirror, it appeared to me to be another addition to better meet and divert the frontal air moving over the top of the mirror.

Top Hat Add-On Convex Mirror Accessory
http://www.velvac.com/RVs_only/order_online/order_online.html

I added Top Hats to both mirrors and it also added slight improvement to the turbulence sounds...As well, it added a nice extra convex mirror view/perspective of objects on the sides.

Finally, I took a spare six inch strip of the driver door insulation bulb and added it to the the area along which I detected sound entry. After doing this final step, I adjusted the door jam locking bolt to where the door closes very tight..to where I need to close it with vigor.

All three mods helped reduce decible levels in the driver-passenger area about 3-5 decibles.

All in all, we must remember we are driving a big rectangular box through the air...not a sleek sports car..

Charlie
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 12:32:52 PM by Pubtym »
Pubtym
Green Hornet, Viet Nam 68-69
MACVSOG

2006 Itasca Suncruiser Model 35U

peg811948

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
Thanks everyone for your comments. When we get to our destination we will be looking for solutions. The noise is diffently worse on passenger side.

phelpo

• ---
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 05:09:49 PM »
Peg, my two cents worth, had a wind noise on my last rig, could hardly talk to
each other.  When we were parked I got out my leaf blower and blew it around
the front of the rig.  wife let me know when the noise started.    This is definately
a bubba way but it worked for me.

Phelpo
Phelpo
2004 Vectra AD
2007 Vue
2008 Mini Cooper

Alan W.

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 01:18:12 PM »
Good luck and i have the same issue for a year and a half among many more. I hope you make out better than me because my coach has been in the shop 3 months for the 11th time.

angelhet

• ---
  • 2011 Winnebago Adventurer - 37F
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 04:16:05 PM »
Good luck we bought a 2011 Adventurer 37F in August and we too have bad wind noise.  I guess we can try some of the suggestions listed here :-)

I notice it is worse with cross wind hitting the passenger side, so perhap a mirror or seal around a window.  Someone else suggesting putting electrical tape over some of the weep holes under the passenger and driver side windows. 

We are going to experiment this spring...stay tuned.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 08:45:33 PM »
Wind direction and wind speed makes a huge difference in the noise level for us.  A few days ago we left the Las Cruces, NM fairgrounds in a dust storm with the wind blowing 30-35 out of the west.  Fortunately we were going east  ;D for a few miles (we went to a commercial campground from the fairgrounds.)

It was so quiet in our Horizon with the wind behind us, it was like we were parked with the jacks down.  We have also punched into 30+ winds and it gets really noisy.  What we have found is that winds under say 15 mph or so, the noise level isn't too bad.  Once winds get above 15 and they are anything but a tail wind or a quartering tailwind, it will get a little noisy.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather