Replacing Exterior Decals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharp21

I have been looking at an older trailer & the vinyl decals are in pretty rough shape.  All cracked & faded.
Is there a good way to remove these, then get something custom made to put on?
S.

I was going to restripe ours this past summer, but ran out of time.  In doing my research I found this, stripe removal, to be the most informative.  It comes down to rubbing or scraping them off.  Boats have the same problems with the stripes and there are a few boards that discuss it.  Once removed, new stripes can be stuck on or painted on.  I am planning to paint them on, mainly because we have the equpiment and experience.  Our new stripes will be simplier due to the fact that I will not try to run fine lines equally spaced some 36' and expect to get it perfect.  Most RV makers rarely have replacement stripes available after 7 years, & ours (Georgie Boy) echoed the same.  At 20yrs, forget it.  They actually suggested painting the new stripes on.

I hope to redo our stripes this spring and will provide a photo report similar to our reroof project, that we did last year.  Our steeply sloping front end will require special scaffolding to do the upper decal and stripe around the windshield.  That complication helped delay our progress towards stripe completion last summer.

heat up the decals/adhesive with a hair dryer and peel them off slowly so they do not tear.  The use goof off (goo cleaner in a can, buy at hardware store) and/or rubbing alcohol to clean the area after the decal is off.  You can get custom cut vinyl or make your own but be sure to use OUTDOOR grade - the adhesive on non-outdoor vinyl will not stay adhered.

PB Blaster makes several products one of which is Decal nad sticker removal.  While I have not personally used it I have been told it is the best way to remove decals.

I needed to remove decals on my concession trailer last year and the way I did it was I removed what I could with a heat gun $10.00 @ Harborfreight then for the older exposed glue I sprayed with household ammonia and covered with clear plastic wrap which can be used over and over. Give it about 10 minutes or so and pull off the plastic wrap then scrape with an auto body filler spreader and it came off real easy....Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom