Battery Box venting - Passive or Active ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Lou

Here?s my situation.

About two years ago I installed two additional 6V batteries in one of the coach basement storage bays.  They are in a closed (not really sealed) box that is passively vented to the outside.  (two inch hose through a hole) 

I have always wanted some sort of a fan system to assist in venting the gases and toxic fumes from the box while charging, but didn?t want a totally manual operation nor did I want a fan that would run all the time.  Hence, my latest brain fart.

In the process of solving a recent problem, I was forced to learn how my coach charging system really works.  It was during this process that I discovered the ?smarts? involved with the use of the isolation/aux start solenoid to charge either battery from the charging source of the other.  Quite simple really, but it struck me as ingenious.

I concluded that the output of this,?smart?, voltage sensing circuit (see attachment #1) meets the above stated requirements for my little project.  I still have some questions of loading, current capacity, fusing, etc?

So far, here is where I stand:  (See attachment #2 for scope of project)

I have three 12vdc muffin fans to select from.  They have current ratings of (.12) to (.2) amps.  No info on CFM or RPM.  They are all brushless motors.

I need to select a fuse size for the proposed circuit.  ?

Where to install the relay (near the source or near the batteries)?

Do I need to be concerned about sparks or igniting gases with brushless fan motors?

Do I even need any of this?

Etc, etc

Comments anyone?

Attachments

• Bird #1.jpg
    Bird #1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Bird #2.jpg
    Bird #2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom