Best way through LA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom,

We always take exactly the route Ardra described, Stay at the Orange Grove in Bakersfielkd of go say hello to Cummins West and stay free.
You must be desperate to go to Algedones to decide to go to Q.site  :) 

chris

Ardra, Chris,

That's the route we normally take. We might try Bob's/Bernie's route for a change. As usual though, I'll decide after the driver has left home in the morning.

I'm sorry Tom, I misunderstood the question or I would not have suggested the route that I did.

No problem Tom. Being misunderstood is the story of my life  :(

Tom said:
Thanks Tim.

I can't think of any road worse for driving a motorhome towing a car than the canyon road between your place and Bakersfield  ;D

I dont know Tim, but I think Tom needs to get him self a Bowflex work out machine or something and toughen up.......just because the road to your house is sheer drop into a river on one side with rock over hangings that can rip the side out of your coach out if you get to close on the other side, not to mention that this curvey, windy, 16ft wide two lane road is traveled by kamakazi frieght and tank truck drivers that take their half right out of the middle, thats no reason to put down that scenic drive   ;D

LOL Dave. Before driving that road, while having breakfast with Tim and Marsha, they mentioned that they always drive two vehicles separately, not towing. Marsha drives ahead in the toad and gives Tim a heads up if she sees a trucking coming in the opposite direction. We thought "it can't be that bad", and proceeded with our 38' coach towing the Suburban. I'm not sure if I was gad I wasn't driving or if I'd have preferred to drive that day. Either way, a change of underwear is appropriate when reaching the outskirts of Bakersfield.

Tom,

I guess we have gotten use to the canyon having made several trips with the motorhome.  Last trip up we left the toad hooked up and I think even Marsha was surprised at how everything handled.  The road is narrow and typically I am not worried about my driving but that of the locals of which I am now one.  The trucks are a danger but usually they are as cautious as we are.  The curves are sharp enough you can spot oncoming traffic about 2-3 turns ahead.  HAving said all that we are going down the other side of the mountain which is an easy drive and also very scenic ending on 395. Hwy 14.  We ill then cut through California City to four corners and either try a new route from Barstow to Palm Springs or down through San Bernardino.  If the winds pickup we may head towards Needles and cut over on AZ95...tim

We decided to try Bob & Bernie's route. We're staying the night at Pyramid Lake RV Resort, near Gorman and 4 miles south of the I-5/138 intersection (we'll need to backtrack 4 miles in the morning).

This is a nice, albeit small, RV park. Pull-throughs, full hookup, choice of 50A or 30A, cable and WiFi. It's nicely sheltered from the winds and the I-5 traffic in a small valley. We get a good DTV signal, good cell signal (t-mobile), marginal Verizon broadband. I'm on WiFi for this evening. Given the proximity to the lake, I'd bet that this place fills up in the summer months.

We'll head over 138 in the morning.

As a followup we tried  a new route to/from Palm Springs to Kernville or Bakersfield.  Leaving Palm Springs going west we use hwy 62 to Yucca Valley and then hwy 247 to Barstow.  This is a nice easy two lane highway no problems driving full hwy speed other than a few low passes and scenic to boot.  In Barstow hwy 58 to Bakersfield.  This misses the Riverside and LA area.  To Kernville we leave hwy 58 through California City and cut over to hwy 14 and up to Kernville on hwy 178...tim

IIRC, the climb on Hwy 62 up out of the desert valley is a pretty good one. But it still beats going thru Riverside.

Wendy
Palm Springs

On the way down to Indio, we (I) missed the "Hwy 30" section that Bob referred to. On the way home from Yuma I made sure we took it, but was somewhat confused by the maps saying it was hwy 30 and all the signs saying it was 210; Probably my confusion/misunderstanding. It was a good road (freeway) though. Also on the way home, it seemed that our trip through Palmdale was a lot faster and more straightforward. I'm thinking that one of the navigation programs (S&T or DeLorme) unecessarily diverted us off the main drag through town on the way down.

I gave a printed copy of those south-bound directions to another RVer while we were camped at Gorman. I sure hope he didn't get lost.

Ned and I have driven 62 and 247 several times and really like that route.  I don't recall low passes unless they have built some since we drove that route.  Yes it is scenic.

Perhaps he meant low altitude passes (as opposed to high altitude passes)?  Not low clearances? 

Margi

I understand "Tim" speak.  :)  He meant passes as in mountain passes and/or steep grades, not "under passes".  There are no low under passes on 247 or 62.  It really is a pretty drive.  We are going back towards Kernville that way tomorrow.  BTW, it's hot in Palm Springs.

Marsha~

I understand "Tim" speak.

I can associate with that comment Marsha; I occasionally need to translate when Chris speaks to someone and I see that 'deer in the headlights' look from the other person  ;D

Marsha/CA said:
I understand "Tim" speak.  :)   
Marsha~

That's how I read it, so I must understand "Tim" speak, too.  :D  Maybe it's "west coast" speak, since we have to deal with mountain passes all the time.

Margi

I think you might have hit on something, Margi.  Maybe it is a west coast thing.  We deal with passes all the time out here.

Tom, I've decided that I seem to give the long version of things; while Tim gives the synopsis or Cliff notes version.  Sometimes, I too, have to fill in the gaps.  He does the same thing with problem solving...goes right to the heart of it, while I beat around the bush.

Marsha~

I'm a mountain girl and I for sure understood "Tim speak."

Marsha, honk as you go up 62 tomorrow....we're on the west side of the wind turbines, off Indian Canyon Rd....or we will be until about 10 am. (BYW, it's 75 here....I think we're a bit higher than PS)

Wendy
North Palm Springs

Wendy said:
IIRC, the climb on Hwy 62 up out of the desert valley is a pretty good one. But it still beats going thru Riverside.

Wendy
Palm Springs

Shoot, the I-10 beats going thru Riverside.  CA-60 is only marginally better than surface streets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom